• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flummoxed

• mongrelnomad

• Drone

• Algester

I just checked the Pilot catalog, and it doesn't have Maple listed with EF nib. Only F and M.

Yes, just checked that the Sailor Saibi Togi is not available currently as well!

Consider the Pilot Custom Heritage 743 with the Pilot No.15 sized FA semi-flex nib. See the detailed description here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/326680-custom-nib-for-pilot-falcon-resin/?do=findComment&comment=3909538

Thanks, I am guessing you mentioned the 743 because of the #15 nib size. May I ask why you suggested the FA semi-flex nib and not the EF?

---------------

Updated option set is as follows,

1. Pilot Custom 743
  2. Pilot Custom 742
  3. Hirai Wooden pens
  4. Vanishing Point
  5. Platinum Century 3776

Thanks, I am guessing you mentioned the 743 because of the #15 nib size. May I ask why you suggested the FA semi-flex nib and not the EF?

I mentioned the #15 FA nib in the linked description because the original poster in that thread was looking for line variation, not so much because of the nib's larger size.

I would recommend the #15 FA nib regardless, simply because it is a nicely performing modern semi-flex nib, once you learn to control it. The Japanese EF nib is too fine for general purpose use in my opinion. Paper selection gets a lot harder with nibs that fine. Also, as I explain in my description, I feel the #15 FA nib outperforms the smaller #10 FA version. (However, there are some people that would argue the opposite.)

Remember, normally the #15 FA nib is available only on one production Pilot Pen model, the Custom Heritage 743. And the CH 743 is normally sold over the counter only in Japan. However, I know of one Tokyo pen shop that does offer the Pilot 823 vacuum filler pen and the larger CH 845 C/C fill pen with the #15 FA nib, for a price of-course (see link below). I suspect there may be some nib swapping going on with that case.

Here are the links to the Tokyo pen shop that sells the Pilot CH 823 & 845 with the FA nib:

* CH 823 w/FA nib:

http://japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom823.htm

* CH 845 w/FA nib:

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845.php

@Drone, Thanks for the links and the clarification, I was the OP and I checked with the Tokyo Pen Shop over email and they are out of stock for the FA nibs. I did realise both of these pens are way out of my budget.

OK...

The 823 and 845 pens are way over your budget because they come with FA nibs. I mentioned that they were pricey because of the nib swap.

However, in my previous post on the CH 743 with the FA nib I did mention the 743 can be bought direct from Japan via Amazon or ebay for around $200. That is at the top end of your budget. Tracked shipping by air Japan to India with EMS/Speedpost should cost about $10 USD and take less than a week. The question is, what happens with taxes and duty in India?

As for Tokyo Pen Shop: I am not surprised Tokyo Pen Shop doesn't have any FA nib 823 or 845 pens as advertised on their web site. I have heard they are often out of stock or the wait times are long.

I speculate there may be a nib swapping scheme taking place at Tokyo Pen Shop. Something like this:

1. Someone orders a CH 743 pen with an F,M, or B #15 nib. Not an FA nib, or any nib OTHER than an F,M, or B nib. (There is a reason for this, keep reading.)

2. If the nib ordered on the 743 is F,M, or B, Tokyo Pen Shop orders a 743 with an FA nib and an 823 or 845 pen with the nib size the customer ordered.

3. Tokyo Pen Shop then swaps the FA nib to the 823 or 845 that was ordered along with the 743.

4. Tokyo Pen Shop ships the 743 with the F,M, or B nib as-ordered to the customer.

5. The remaining 823 or 845 pen now has the FA nib that came from the 743. It goes up for sale at an increased price because it has the FA nib.

Note: The above nib swap scheme would also work with a BB nib, but only if an 845 pen is ordered with the 743, not an 823. This is because normally Pilot does NOT offer the 823 with a BB nib, but does offer the 845 with a BB nib. Normally, the 823 comes only with an F,M, or B nib, while the 845 comes only with an F,M,B or BB nib.

Edited by Drone

@Drone, Thanks for the details, they were very nice over email and will keep me posted as soon as they receive one of the chosen pens.

I'll keep all of you posted once I buy the pen.