European Inks: Top 10 Shading Inks And Top 10 Sheening Inks Producted In Europe

Menuhin

Lots of top 10 lists of ink recommendations lean towards Japanese inks and Noodler's inks - probably because this and many blogs are forums are mostly for English speakers.

I am looking for inks manufactured in Europe with top shading or sheening properties, so I don't have to pay premium for shipping.

Please suggest!

P.s. I did Google search for quite a few times on many different days, didn't like to see >70% are inks from the US and Japan, and among only a handful of the European inks (mostly Diamine and J Herbin), almost no German inks were suggested. Germany is where I live.

Edited by Menuhin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Menuhin

• Old_Inkyhand

• chromantic

• Chrissy

Diamine Marine and De Atramentis Mint Turquoise make it onto Brian Goulet's top ten list.

I wrote with Diamine Mediterranean Blue this morning and noticed lot's of shading.

Diamine Ancient Copper and Wild Strawberry are known as good shading inks.

How about Google search: Top Shading Inks for some more ideas

I will add KWZ Honey as a top shading ink.

Not my image.... . clumsypenman's image

http://www.clumsypenman.com/wp-content/fpngallery/kwz-honey/untitled-46.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

KWZ El Dorado shades like crazy in my stub. Most of my Montblanc inks shade pretty well. Another favourite of mine is Graf von Faber Castell Stone Grey.

KWZ!!!

I have never heard of it but am already falling in love with the ink samples - and what more I can ask for than inks created by a fountain pen enthusiast himself and a chemistry PhD?

But the catalog is incomplete and the page is a bit messed up, many inks are missing e.g. El Dorado is missing. Have sent an inquiry.

Do want more suggestions.

But the catalog is incomplete and the page is a bit messed up, many inks are missing e.g. El Dorado is missing. Have sent an inquiry.

Check out their Facebook page. Here they have a few pictures of their current offerings. :)

PS: their inks are incredibly well behaved. I have a few and I can safely say it is my favourite brand, Sailor being a close second.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

I live in the US, and I love DeAtramentis inks. They are German made with some of the best fountain pen ink colors out there. I have more DeAtramentis ink than any other. I love the formulation, the dry times, the wonderful shading and sheen. I highly recommend them. Some of my favorite colors are:

Steel Blue - a personal favorite! https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304419-de-atramentis-steel-blue/

Aubergine - wonderful, professional color for a purple. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/273577-aubergine-de-atarmentis/

Edgar Allen Poe - a wonderful full bodied green

Pearl Violet - a beautiful softer shade of violet, another favorite

Mahatma Gandhi - a wonderful yellow that shades from yellow to red; definately as good or better than Noodler's Apache Sunset

If you fancy a French ink, I can also recommend L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio inks. I have, by now, purchased all of their blue, turquoise, green and red inks. They are all wonderful and some such as Bleu Atlantique, Bleu Mediterranee and Blue Pacifique have wonderful shading and sheen. The only colors that I am not fond of are the brown/orange/yellow colors. They seem a bit drier to me and the colors do not excite me.

Here in the U.S., DeAtramentis ink is a bit pricey. Callifolio is less expensive and offer pouches for larger quantities.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Ones I have actual experience with?

Sheen and shading:

> Skrip Turquoise

> Skrip Yellow

> Lamy Petrol

Sheen

> KWZ Grapefruit

> KWZ Maroon

> Diamine Macassar

> Diamine Wild Strawberry

> Diamine Majestic Purple

> Montblanc Pink

> Montblanc Golden Yellow

> Lamy Dark Lilac

Well, that's eleven. Skrip Turquoise is definitely #1.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I don't know if any inks are made in Germany. KWZ is polish and Skrip is made in Slovenia. Skrip is, according to Richard Binder, one of the best inks you can buy (he ranked it #2 after Waterman, if I remember correctly). Obviously, his list is made based on quality of the inks, not by amount of shading or sheening.

I really like Montblanc inks, but they are made in Austria. Lamy makes some excellent inks, mostly the limited editions, but I don't know if they're made in Germany. Pelikan hits a home run every once in a while, but also no idea if they're made in Germany.

OMG! How could I have overlooked Waterman Serenity Blue?! It's right up there with Skrip Turquoise in shading and sheening. Harmonious Green also shades and sheens but whether you find the color appealing is a matter of individual taste.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Best European inks when it comes to sheen must be De Atramentis Steel Blue and Diamine Majestic Blue. :D

Also Lamy Dark Lilac sheens a lot, but it is no longer available.

Shading... Montblanc Leo Tolstoy is nice, but hard to get hold of...

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa and Sepia both shade--especially Scabiosa, which shades perceptibly even when one writes with a fine nib.

Shading (off the top of my head):

Diamine Woodland Green

Diamine Tyrian Purple

Diamine Golden Brown

Diamine Beethoven

Diamine Wagner

Diamine Mozart

Diamine Chocolate (wide stub nib)

Diamine Majestic Blue (also sheen)

Diamine Oxford Blue

Diamine Apple Glory

Diamine Registrar's Ink

Kwz Honey

Kwz IG Turquoise

Kwz Raspberry

Kwz IG Green Gold

Kwz IG Red #3

Kwz IG Brown Pink

Abraxas Grass Green

Abraxas Night Blue (depending of flow of pen)

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Great sheeners that I have not seen mentioned: J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor and Rouge Hématite (SUPER sheeners!); Diamine Sargasso Sea; de Atramentis Myrrh (depending on pen and paper); Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst and sometimes Topaz.

The most consistent sheening inks are, without doubt, the Japanese inks, but they certainly are expensive in comparison.

Great sheeners that I have not seen mentioned: J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor and Rouge Hématite (SUPER sheeners!); Diamine Sargasso Sea; de Atramentis Myrrh (depending on pen and paper); Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst and sometimes Topaz.

The most consistent sheening inks are, without doubt, the Japanese inks, but they certainly are expensive in comparison.

I don't remember ever seeing my Myrrh sheen, except on my splash card. I need to try it again.

I've colour-matched 2 of my pens with inks that shade beautifully....

Diamine Autumn Oak in my Lamy Al Star Copper

KWZ Old Gold in my Kaweco Brass

I'd offer to post a photo this week, but a Google image search of these colours will show them at their best.

Matt