Palladian Nibmeister Suggestions

fountainpenlady

I'm still a bit confused on exactly what Palladian nib is. I can make out 23 carat markings. Is Palladian a trade name indicating the nmaterial is palladium?

I wonder if refusal to work on said nib is due to unknowns and not that the nib can not be fixed.

I would first ask what a replacement nib costs. I doubt the manufacturer would straighten the nib but more likely they would just replace it.

A Palladium nib is also the dream-touch nib Visconti offers on their Homo Sapiens. It has 23kt gold and has dual color. It is not 14kt gold or 18kt gold. I am providing some information from another thread which tells more about Palladian. I can only guess and from Pendleton (one of the Nibmeisters contacted) I think who wrote to me they are not as reliable in working on them as 14kt or 18kt gold and perhaps it has something to do with so far my not being able to find a Nibmeister who can restore the tip. I did check around when I discovered the original nib on the pen was a Japanese regrind needle-point. As I am left handed and also not familiar with the skill needed to write with a needle-point, I called Coles of London to see how much it would cost for a replacement nib.

First, I was quoted $300.00. The second time I called to confirm the price and find out the other charges involved, I was quoted $400 - $500. As a result, from Europe, I purchased this nib. Simply, I was unaccustomed to filling this type of piston fill pen. I want to for the most part have the pen in tact as much as it was meant to be originally. It is a limited edition and I would rather not have anything but the nib it was supposed to have on it when purchased and before the former seller/owner specialized the nib.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/222872-visconti-palladium-nibs/

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• LizEF

• FarmBoy

• Honeybadgers

I'm still a bit confused on exactly what Palladian nib is. I can make out 23 carat markings. Is Palladian a trade name indicating the nmaterial is palladium?

I think the thread should read "palladium". I can find nothing indicating such a thing as a palladian nib, so I think it's just a spelling error.

I think the thread should read "palladium". I can find nothing indicating such a thing as a palladian nib, so I think it's just a spelling error.

You are probably right, as per the link posted regarding the Pallldium nib. Currently, my brain is fried and my thoughts now consist of trying to find someone to repair the nib to satisfaction, since I have little or no intentions of buying a third nib. I hope the link sent, this confirmation helps. Continue to enjoy your weekend.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

You are probably right, as per the link posted regarding the Pallldium nib. Currently, my brain is fried and my thoughts now consist of trying to find someone to repair the nib to satisfaction, since I have little or no intentions of buying a third nib. I hope the link sent, this confirmation helps. Continue to enjoy your weekend.

Totally understandable! I was quite upset when I found mine was messed up. Best wishes with your repair efforts! :)

Totally understandable! I was quite upset when I found mine was messed up. Best wishes with your repair efforts! :)

Thank you for understanding. I tried to see whether I could correct the thread headline. It is not possible. I want this palladium nib restored, and I seem to have misplaced a Pelikan M800 nib unit. I am darn near exhausted looking for that one and being disappointed at having to possibly to spend more money to restore this one. My fault, unfamiliar piston filler method, but still I am kind of bummed. Well, "this too shall pass." I continue to write with the pen whose nib needs repair. I am trying to see whether the hump in the tip is really bad enough to continue this seemingly futile, if not also getting to be an expensive quest. If nothing else, this experience becomes a learning lesson for me and a cautionary tale I hope for anyone else. Thank you for your best wishes. I really appreciate it. You enjoy the rest of your weekend and the week ahead. I guess when I find out or figure out, I will update.

https://www.colesoflondon.com/visconti-pen-service

I haven't used them myself (yet). Am considering it though as I did something similar to what you did - with the same nib... :(

I wanted to get back to you. It is the former Reference Librarian in me, which once a Librarian, always one I am told.

In any case, I called Erin of ColesofLondon. She directed me to a nibmeister they routinely use. Mark of nibgrinder.com

I am providing you with the link. He sounds very nice, I called him. The prices and repair form I have provided a link. His turnaround time, according to him is currently 2-3 weeks. He is located in Atlanta, GA

I am having him to also grind my nib to a finer extra fine Visconti Homo Sapiens and he quoted me at $40.00 plus shipping charges.

I hope this helps you or anyone else who possesses a palladium nib specifically and dips their nib too far into the bottle or drops the pen and the nib needs repair. Enjoy the week ahead :)

http://www.nibgrinder.com/

I wanted to get back to you. It is the former Reference Librarian in me, which once a Librarian, always one I am told.

In any case, I called Erin of ColesofLondon. She directed me to a nibmeister they routinely use. Mark of nibgrinder.com

I am providing you with the link. He sounds very nice, I called him. The prices and repair form I have provided a link. His turnaround time, according to him is currently 2-3 weeks. He is located in Atlanta, GA

I am having him to also grind my nib to a finer extra fine Visconti Homo Sapiens and he quoted me at $40.00 plus shipping charges.

I hope this helps you or anyone else who possesses a palladium nib specifically and dips their nib too far into the bottle or drops the pen and the nib needs repair. Enjoy the week ahead :)

Thanks! This is great info. Please let us know how the nib grind goes. I'm really curious to learn if it's still smooth after grinding it even finer.

Don't know about repair, but Mark has ground nibs on about 8 of my pens, including a Visconti Homo Sapiens. In each case Mark has done outstanding work and I am very pleased. If I have additional nib grinding needs, Mark will be the one to do it. You're in good hands.

Don't know about repair, but Mark has ground nibs on about 8 of my pens, including a Visconti Homo Sapiens. In each case Mark has done outstanding work and I am very pleased. If I have additional nib grinding needs, Mark will be the one to do it. You're in good hands.

Thanks for the report! It's always good to hear from multiple people on this kind of thing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the report! It's always good to hear from multiple people on this kind of thing. :)

Hello,

I got my Homo Sapiens returned from NibGrinder Mark Bacas, who is the Nibmeister who repaired it for me.

I am attaching some photographs of how it looked before and how it looked upon return to me. There is still a slight bump near the surface, but not at the tip and not extremely noticeable to me. It also does not affect the writing. The pen nib has been re-tipped. It is writing like a dream. I thought I might want it to be also reground to write a bit finer, but not a needle-point, but it was not necessary after he re-tipped and repaired the nib's tip.

Now, of course with the original trauma, the nib does not look perfect as when the nib was brand new. However, it does not look as bad and is considerably improved in its look and it writes really well. Hope this helps someone and I have provided his information. His turn around time was good and he is very accessible and answers questions. One thing I really liked is he gives you pictures of your nib originally and he gives you Youtube videos of him writing with your nib and he explains what was done. He also updates you and gives you Youtube videos when or if you want something else done or some request. He'll do it and then send you a Youtube video where he shows you and he talks while writing with your nib to show you how it writes. He asks for you to provide him a sheet of whatever paper you write with or like and ink, which is nothing more than a sample ink which he writes with your pen using it. Since the videos are private, and I failed to ask him, I am unable to give you a view of his videos, but you will get one or several of them when he works on your pen. Also, his form for your repairs where he asks several pertinent questions is done online. So, when you mail him your fountain pen, he already has a plethora of information regarding what you want to be done. I hope this helps. I am going to return to playing with it again. Enjoy a wonderful long weekend ahead. End of Summer and that means more time to play with our pens. :wub:

Mark Bacas
2645 Merry Road
Cumming, GA 30041-7735
Payment via PayPal Invoice (Other Payment Methods Available)
Phone/Text: 678-683-9265

post-35018-0-58561100-1504301149.jpeg

post-35018-0-19939700-1504301166.jpeg

post-35018-0-27601600-1504301186.jpeg

post-35018-0-67133500-1504301200.jpeg

post-35018-0-39325900-1504301216_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-73030100-1504301237_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-20128300-1504301271_thumb.jpg

Thanks, fountainpenlady! That's really great information - very detailed. I appreciate you sharing it with us. Glad your pen is writing well now. :)

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. But, FWIW, Micheal Masuyama does the contract nib work for Visconti in the U.S.. He has customized several "Dreamtouch" nibs for me, mostly with congenital rather than acquired defects. He is obviously quite experienced with Palladium nibs and does excellent work.

David

Thanks, fountainpenlady! That's really great information - very detailed. I appreciate you sharing it with us. Glad your pen is writing well now. :)

I hope you have not discontinued getting this thread yet. I contacted Mr. Bacas and he said that it was o.k. to share. I sent him a red ink sample. You take care of yourself. They are unlisted and only if you know the link can you access them.

Nice. I am still subscribed to the thread (and plan to stay that way) - thanks for the video. :)

You are quite welcome. I wanted to share as much information so others can get an idea of how he works. He was very responsive over the phone and email. I am making sure this time I don't stick the nib too far into the bottle when filling the pen this time. Homo Sapiens don't hold much ink though. Still, I purchased it to celebrate a victory so I still love it much. Symbolically represents something special. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. It is the least I could do for driving you crazy with the misspelling of Palladium. :yikes: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: