Ink Mix - Memories Of The Shire

namrehsnoom

Ink Mix - Memories of the Shire

• 1 part : Diamine 1864 Blue Black
  • 3 parts : Diamine Sunshine Yellow
Diamine 1864 Blue Black is an ink I personally hate – too dark, too wet. Directly from the heart of Mordor, ugly as Sauron’s soul itself. And I’ve got a 40ml bottle of it that begged to be used … not gonna happen! And then there is Diamine Sunshine Yellow – not bad, but too light to be used in regular writing.
In the land of Mordor, Samwise Gamgee often despaired, only to be saved by thoughts of his green garden at home, basking in yellow sunshine. Ah… happy “Memories of the Shire”. And so, a new ink was born…
fpn_1502980355__memories_of_the_shire_-_
“Memories of the Shire” was obtained by mixing 1 part of the 1864 Blue Black with 3 parts of Sunshine Yellow. I let the mix rest for one day, and it seems quite stable. The resulting colour is a nice kind of khaki green, that I quite like. The ink writes well, and is still rather wet, but not a fountain like 1864 Blue Black. The Sunshine Yellow must have tempered it a bit. Contrast with the paper is excellent, even with finer nibs. The ink also exhibits aesthetically pleasing shading.
fpn_1502980365__memories_of_the_shire_-_
Unfortunately, the ink has zero water resistance. Both standing and running water will obliterate your writing. This is also clear from the chromatography : at the bottom part, almost all of the ink detached from the paper. A shame, because this would otherwise have been a nice ink for use at the office.
fpn_1502980374__memories_of_the_shire_-_

I have tested the ink on a variety of paper – from crappy Moleskine to high-end Tomoe River. Below I show you the ink’s appearance and behaviour on the different paper types. On every small band of paper, I show you:
  • An ink swab, made with a cotton Q-tip
  • 1-2-3 pass swab, to show increasing saturation
  • An ink scribble made with an M-nib fountain pen
  • The name of the paper used, written with a B-nib
  • A small text sample, written with an M-nib
  • Drying times of the ink on the paper (with the M-nib)
Memories of the Shire behaved perfectly on all the paper types I used, with no visible feathering on the lower quality papers in my test set. Bleed-through was only present with the Moleskine paper, and even there it was not too bad. Drying times with the M-nib are on the short side in the 5 to 10 second range. The ink looks washed out on the Moleskine paper, but works nicely with the other paper types. I quite enjoy the way it looks on the Paperblanks paper, which is what I use for daily journaling.
fpn_1502980386__memories_of_the_shire_-_
Memories of the Shire is a green ink that I’ll gladly use. And with this mix, I can save my otherwise unused bottles of Diamine 1864 Blue Black and Sunshine Yellow. All in all a successful mixing experiment!
fpn_1502980398__memories_of_the_shire_-_

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Cyber6

• Chrissy

• namrehsnoom

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, namrehsnoom! This reminds me of MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green. Not quite as gray, but still. I may have to get Diamine Sunshine Yellow and more of the blue-black... :) (After I've made a dent in my current ink sample collection.)

Nice enough to cause me to buy a bottle of Sunshine yellow! Thank you for sharing this ink with us; I am glad someone earlier noted their impression of it resembling MB's Jonathan Swift, because it was the first ink I thought of & one I really enjoy.

That's an interesting color. Too bad it's not water resistant.

It looks to be very similar to Platinum Classic Forest Black IG in color (in case anyone wants a nice green like this that *is* pretty waterproof); OTOH, Memories of the Shire looks as if it dries a LOT faster than Forest Black....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've just mixed the same ratio of Diamine Eclipse and R&K Helianthus - Ooo a lovely dark olive green.

Photo tomorrow when there's daylight :)

Ink Mix - Memories of the Shire

• 1 part : Diamine 1864 Blue Black
  • 3 parts : Diamine Sunshine Yellow
Diamine 1864 Blue Black is an ink I personally hate – too dark, too wet. Directly from the heart of Mordor, ugly as Sauron’s soul itself. And I’ve got a 40ml bottle of it that begged to be used … not gonna happen! And then there is Diamine Sunshine Yellow – not bad, but too light to be used in regular writing.
In the land of Mordor, Samwise Gamgee often despaired, only to be saved by thoughts of his green garden at home, basking in yellow sunshine. Ah… happy “Memories of the Shire”. And so, a new ink was born…
fpn_1502980355__memories_of_the_shire_-_

YOu have inspired me to start mixing again.

Memories of the Shire is a gorgeous colour. I will persevere. Until then . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_shire_variation_swatch.jpeg

Great review and a most interesting colour.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

@Tas : that olive-green is also very nice.

@Chrissy : Diamine Sunshine Yellow is indeed great for mixing.

I started my first mixing experiment with the "Love - Hate" weekly ink project last week. Great fun. I like the result I got with the "Memories of the Shire" mix, but I'm afraid that now I want to find out if I can tweak it further to get an even better result (a tiny bit more yellow, a tiny bit less yellow). Have to find a more methodical approach to test different mixing ratios - any advice anyone ?

@Tas : that olive-green is also very nice.

@Chrissy : Diamine Sunshine Yellow is indeed great for mixing.

I started my first mixing experiment with the "Love - Hate" weekly ink project last week. Great fun. I like the result I got with the "Memories of the Shire" mix, but I'm afraid that now I want to find out if I can tweak it further to get an even better result (a tiny bit more yellow, a tiny bit less yellow). Have to find a more methodical approach to test different mixing ratios - any advice anyone ?

I found these 1ml syringes to be perfect for small batch mixes.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_1mL-1-cc-syringe-without-needle.jpg

Have fun.

Keep all your "rejects" and when you have enough of them, and if you feel daring enough, chuck them all in one big pot. With a little luck, you'll have a wonderfully unique ink.

:)

OK ... I WANT THAT!!!!.... TAKE MY MONEY!!!! :lol: :lol:

YOu have inspired me to start mixing again.

Memories of the Shire is a gorgeous colour. I will persevere. Until then . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_shire_variation_swatch.jpeg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

OK ... I WANT THAT!!!!.... TAKE MY MONEY!!!! :lol: :lol:

Your money's no good here.

I'll mix a fresh batch for you and keep it for when I send something else over to you across the pond :)

Your money's no good here.

I'll mix a fresh batch for you and keep it for when I send something else over to you across the pond :)

TAS .. you are SOOO SWEET!!!... :wub: :wub:

But no worries.. I do have a sample of Eclipse .. and have a Hellianthus bottle.. Just need to grab them and mix.. ;) ;)

THANK you so much for the recipe... you are the BEST!! :D

C.,

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Any ink review that incorporates my beloved JRR Tolkien is a winner on all fronts! Nice review and lovely color.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.