A Gigantic Delivery From China

EH86055

Well...

Today, my aunt flew from Beijing to Australia and brought with her the largest expansion to my collection,ever. I had asked for a Kaigelu 316,Hero 616 and a presentation case. A rather modest request,but boy oh boy,did she give more than that...

I will be reviewing all 30ish of the items she bought for me today, in reasonable detail.

Hers is a list of all the items:

5 Hero 616s (Parker 51 replica)

2 Wing Sung 233s (Sheaffer Triumph replica)

1 Wing Sung 380

1 Baoer unidentified model (Sheaffer Legacy replica but WITH A HOODED NIB?!?)

1 Jinhao 599 Hooded nib variant (Lamy Safari replica but WITH A HOODED NIB?!?)

1 Kaigelu 316 (Parker Duofold replica)

1 Hero 329

1 Hero (or was it Wing Sung?) 806

1 Rosewood presentation case for 50 pens

4 unidentified brand unidentified model pen cases for 1 pen

1 Wancher unidentified model pen case for 4 pens

1 Wancher unidentified model pen case for 1 pen

2 bottles of Hero 200 Blue-Black

And, 14 unidentified brand unidentified model pen sleeves for 1 pen.

Phew...

So,let the reviews begin.

Let's start with the Kaigelu.

First impressions: 9/10

The first thing I felt was quality. The presentation is outstanding for a Chinese pen. And the celluloid is beautiful. Very high quality. I will have a picture of all items below.

Looks and quality: 8.5/10

The 316 lost marks here. The end plastic jewel is slightly asymmetrical,and misaligned. I guess for such a cheap pen,I'll let I go,but that is a bit of a disappointment. Apart from that,all good.

Practicality: 7/10

The converter felt low quality and cheap,and the cap takes 2.5 turns. Average practicality for a Chinese pen.

Writing: 5/10

This is where things got bad. I inked it up with the Hero 200 ink and started writing. It was scratch and dry,so I pushed the pen a big and applied some pressure. This made ink spew everywhere and it was just really really really bad. It was decent in terms of smoothness,but it has feedback. Not please tell feedback,the annoying kind.

Value: 8/10

Get this: $25 for a celluloid pen. That's all I have to say. With some work on the nib,it might write well,too!

Now onto the Hero 616.

I'll be trying 2 out of my 5 and doing separate reviews to see how much they vary.

First impression: 8.5/10

The pen was very light with the cap off. Literally as light as your average pencil. Yet it still felt of decent quality,so I'm impressed.

Practicality: 2/10

Irremovable sueeze converter. Need I say more?

WORK IN PROGRESS

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EH86055

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• mke

Well we want to see them all

I can only work on stuff on Friday,Saturday,Sunday and some mondays

— Douglas Adams

Mech-for-i said "see", Eric !!!!! So, make some good photos.

And please use a new reply for each pen or equipment - don't mix everything in one answer.

If you show photos, other people might help you identifying those pens.

Best would be to restart from the beginning.

We appreciate.

Congratulations on your haul Eric.

There's no rush to review everything, take your time and enjoy playing with it all.

Have a bit of fun with your pile of stuff.

When you want to share, share.

We'd love to see and hear about it all, but most of all, you should enjoy it.

Ian

Would love to see photos of the rosewood presentation case! You must be the apple of your aunt's eye with a haul like that.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

My first thought was, "What an awesome aunt!!!"

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the pens.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Quick update: I'm going to complete my Hero 616 review and update on the Kaigelu.

So,value:

It's very good,for $5 AUD. It a good pen for students,as it uses very little ink and isn't worth very much.

10/10 for value.

I will have individual photos of every item soon.

The Kaigelu has had some problems. The plastic (supposedly celluloid) was chipped next to the clip. I'm not sure how it happened,but I'm not complaining as the nib is shockingly good after some micromesh and realignment.

— Douglas Adams

Quick update: I'm going to complete my Hero 616 review and update on the Kaigelu.

So,value:

It's very good,for $5 AUD. It a good pen for students,as it uses very little ink and isn't worth very much.

10/10 for value.

The Kaigelu has had some problems. The plastic (supposedly celluloid) was chipped next to the clip. I'm not sure how it happened,but I'm not complaining as the nib is shockingly good after some micromesh and realignment.

— Douglas Adams

So,value:

10/10 for value.

— Douglas Adams

Umm...

What's with the post getting duplicated?

— Douglas Adams