Please Help Me Identify This Fake Safari

schapman

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/vwg09

Today a mysterious package arrived from Hong Kong - A pen I didn't order was addressed to me, from what I believe is an eBay seller I've bought pens from in the past.

The pen is an imitation of a Lamy Safari. Plastic with no branding at all. It came with 6 black cartridges and a converter that strangely has a spring in the ink reservoir.

I'm not terribly familiar with all the fakes out there, but I don't think this is any of the ones I do know - the clip is too good an imitation to be a Jinhao 599, and the Hero 359 has Hero branding.

Any ideas of what this freebie pen is?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schapman

• Chrissy

• grainweevil

• ParkerDuofold

Do you have a photo, or at least a description of the clip ?

There are several Chinese-made copies of the LAMY Safari. The Jinhao 599 is of lighter material, and a bit more slender that the LAMY., and bears a different clip. The HERO has a "wire" clip, similar to the LAMY. The LAMY Safari is a very successful design, and therefore worth copying. I have never seen any of the Chinese copies mis-represented as a LAMY Safari.

It would appear that the Hong Kong seller has sent you a gift. (A word of thanks is warranted.) The HERO pens, that I have, bear the brand in both Chinese and English. I can, however, imagine that pens, not intended for export, might bear only 英雄 .

How's it write ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Clip photo here: http://imgur.com/tM857eu - It has the "wire" clip, similar to a real LAMY. I have also added a writing sample to the gallery, which is at http://imgur.com/a/vwg09

It writes better than I expected for what I assume these would cost (The customs label said a value of $6). The feed is quite wet, the lines are of medium-broad width, and there is moderate feedback. The black ink in the included cartridges has some measure of water-resistance, but does smudge a bit.

As best as I can tell, it is indeed a gift from the seller (though I haven't made a purchase from them since February), or maybe it was sent out by mistake - There wasn't any note included. I will be sure to express my thanks if eBay has a messaging system that allows for it.

Edited by schapman

Hi Schapman, et al,

Have you looked inside the cap and barrel for the micro-chip being smuggled in to take down our grid. :ninja:

:D

It's a nice looking bootleg... the only give-away is the black finial should have an "x" and not a "-"; the latter being for rb's... since it performs well and didn't cost you anything... enjoy it! :thumbup:

But I would contact the seller in case he sent to you by mistake... somebody else may be waiting for that pen. ;)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I know this will sound like a ridiculous question but did you order an expensive pen for a bargain price on Amazon? If so, this is what you got instead of what you ordered.

I know this will sound like a ridiculous question but did you order an expensive pen for a bargain price on Amazon? If so, this is what you got instead of what you ordered.

Exactly what I was wondering. This seems to be the pen people are receiving from these scam sales.

Nailed it.

I bought a Kuretake #50 Brush Pen (which typically costs $30-$50) from Amazon for $10 shipped, from this seller on July 12 (before these reviews were posted). Looks like I got what I paid for.

Today a mysterious package arrived from Hong Kong - A pen I didn't order was addressed to me, from what I believe is an eBay seller I've bought pens from in the past.

The pen is an imitation of a Lamy Safari. Plastic with no branding at all. It came with 6 black cartridges and a converter that strangely has a spring in the ink reservoir.

I'm not terribly familiar with all the fakes out there, but I don't think this is any of the ones I do know - the clip is too good an imitation to be a Jinhao 599, and the Hero 359 has Hero branding.

I bought a

I bought a YIREN 566 from an ebay seller in China, it cost £1.60 including postage. If it weren't for the fact that I already own a Lamy Safari I could easily think it was one, apart from it not having Lamy written on it, put the two pens together and it's hard to tell them apart. There are little tell tale give-aways, like there are no clips and pegs on the converter and body, and the cap screw has no slots. Overall it's quite a good copy and it writes really well. I'm quite pleased especially at the price. Here's a link if anyone wants a look.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17pcs-High-quality-YIREN-566-All-Color-Studen-practise-Office-Fountain-Pen-New/142121371793?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441201128469&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I bought a YIREN 566 from an ebay seller in China, it cost £1.60 including postage. If it weren't for the fact that I already own a Lamy Safari I could easily think it was one, apart from it not having Lamy written on it, put the two pens together and it's hard to tell them apart. There are little tell tale give-aways, like there are no clips and pegs on the converter and body, and the cap screw has no slots. Overall it's quite a good copy and it writes really well. I'm quite pleased especially at the price. Here's a link if anyone wants a look.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17pcs-High-quality-YIREN-566-All-Color-Studen-practise-Office-Fountain-Pen-New/142121371793?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441201128469&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Very close! The only differences I can spot from that eBay listing are that the Yiren has some branding engraved on the body, and a simple pattern on the top of the cap - mine has neither, but otherwise looks just like the one in that listing. These could just be manufacturing differences, or maybe even coming out of the same factory.

Edited by schapman

Nailed it.

I bought a Kuretake #50 Brush Pen (which typically costs $30-$50) from Amazon for $10 shipped, from this seller on July 12 (before these reviews were posted). Looks like I got what I paid for.

Sorry that happened to you, but it seemed to fit what is happening to many others. :( Just call me Sherlock. :D

You should ensure you leave the seller negative feedback to warn other potential buyers, and claim back your money from Amazon, so that they are also in the loop.

Sorry that happened to you, but it seemed to fit what is happening to many others. :( Just call me Sherlock. :D

You should ensure you leave the seller negative feedback to warn other potential buyers, and claim back your money from Amazon, so that they are also in the loop.

What Sherlock said. Especially about getting a refund; Amazon will only ever crack down on this if they're losing money on it. Sorry you fell victim to these stinkers. :(

What Sherlock said. Especially about getting a refund; Amazon will only ever crack down on this if they're losing money on it. Sorry you fell victim to these stinkers. :(

:D Are you my Dr. Watson?

Thanks for your kind words. I've left negative feedback (though the seller has already "left Amazon") and filed what Amazon calls an A-Z refund claim so that Amazon foots the $10 instead of me - making this pen actually free. Perhaps this will also help lead to a crackdown.

But I'm not even mad. The fake Safari writes far better than it deserves to for a scammer pen, with no skips or hard starts - unlike the fountain pens of a similar caliber that I own (3 Jinhao pens, none of which write as well). I had thought that the $10 shipped price for a Kuretake #50 was a mistake anyway, so it's not altogether surprising nor is it a great loss.

I do still need to get that Kuretake #50 (I'm into Asian calligraphy, which uses brush pens), but assuming Amazon approves the refund claim, 5/5 would get scammed again for another free fountain pen.

I got the same pen. Mine had a different converter inside.

The nib material is of such poor a quality that it bent while pressing a bit harder, and trying to fix it, it got broken. So this pen is really rubbish. Although it looks quite well at the first glance.

Unfortutantely those fraudulent shops on Amazon have become copious recently.

Therefore I shall only buy from shops with a good reputation which have been in business for a while.

Edited by Nyanzilla

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

This is why I never buy anything from Amazon unless it is direct from Amazon or "fulfilled" by Amazon... the rest, I shun... and for good reason... because even if you get your money back, you still have the PITA of having to pack the garbage up, schlep it to the post office, pay for its return postage and then wait, hope and pray everything gets credited correctly on your credit card statement... it just isn't worth the hassle.

Moreover, TANSTAFL... there ain't no such thing as a free lunch... you get what you pay for... and don't let your greed get the better of you. ;)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Quick follow-up. Amazon approved my "A-Z" refund request, so I received my $10 back and it's really Amazon who got scammed here.

Nyanzilla's comments have been noted - I will be sure not to put much pressure on the nib when writing. I've been using it as my main pen the past few days (using an included cartridge), working out math problems (another area of interest for me) for about 30 minutes daily, and it's been working fine with no issues.

Thanks everyone for helping identify the pen - Looks like it's an unbranded YIREN 566 - and for letting me know about the scam I fell for.

This is why I never buy anything from Amazon unless it is direct from Amazon or "fulfilled" by Amazon... the rest, I shun... and for good reason... because even if you get your money back, you still have the PITA of having to pack the garbage up, schlep it to the post office, pay for its return postage and then wait, hope and pray everything gets credited correctly on your credit card statement... it just isn't worth the hassle.

I lucked out recently by purchasing a Safari from an Amazon seller. This was before I learned about the scams and counterfeit Safaris. I got a genuine Safari at a fair price, but never again for me - going forward I'm purchasing from legit dealers such as Vanness, Goulet, and Anderson.