Monteverde Fireopal (Gemstone Collection)

visvamitra

Monteverde is part of Yafa company. Some time ago the company offered wide array of new inks with Ink ITF™ - new Ink Treatment Formula that's supposed to drastically improve ink-flow quality, extend cap-off time and improve ink drying time on paper. After trying two inks I can agree it's not just marketing - the inks behave very well.

New colors are divided into two series. The newest one is called GEMSTONES.

fpn_1498288355__gemstone_monetverde.jpg

I admit I have a problem with this name as Pelikan started their Gemstone collection (Edelstein inks) years ago and was succesfull. I do realise that this name can't be copyrighted but I feel something's off. Sure, it's easy to base marketing on proven and succesfull ideas but I feel just a little bit of disapproval. I believe they could have created something new, especially that the colors are rather interesting and eye-catching.

Anyway the line has inks

1. Amethyst
  2. Charoite
  3. Erinite
  4. Fireopal
  5. Garnet
  6. Moonstone
  7. Olivine
  8. Ruby
  9. Sapphire
  10. Topaz

I appreciate the fact that Monteverde posted on their website data about these inks ph:

fpn_1498288810__gemstone_monetverde_ph.j

Bottle

fpn_1502221593__fireopal_bottle.jpg

The inks can be bought in 30 (and 90) ml bottle. The bottle is made of lass, has simple design and id pretty functional - stable and with wide neck allowing to fill quite comfortably (as long as there's more than 60 % of the ink content in it) even monster fountain pens straight from the bottle.

Ink

fpn_1502221623__fireopal_monteverde_is.j

Fireopal rocks. Just look at it. It's formidable and the shading is sensational. It's one of nicest inks I used in a long time. It behaves rather well however when used in broader and wetter nibs it will cause feathering on low quality copy paper. The flow is excellent. So is the lubrication. There's no useful water resistance to it.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1502221642__fireopal_monteverde_rk.j

Color ID

fpn_1502221658__fireopal_monteverde_l_3.

Color range

fpn_1502221671__fireopal_monteverde_l_4.

Discovery 70 mgsm copy paper, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1502221725__fireopal_monteverde_d_1.

fpn_1502221742__fireopal_monteverde_d_2.

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Classic Spoert, broad nib

fpn_1502221770__fireopal_monteverde_l_1.

fpn_1502221799__fireopal_monteverde_l_2.

fpn_1502221813__fireopal_monteverde_l_5.

No name copy paper, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1502221705__fireopal_monteverde_c.jp

Midori, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1502221833__fireopal_monteverde_mido

fpn_1502221896__fireopal_monteverde_mido

Rhodia, Kaweco Sport, broad nib

fpn_1502221916__fireopal_monteverde_rhod

fpn_1502221935__fireopal_monteverde_rhod

fpn_1502221959__fireopal_monteverde_rhod

Water resistance

fpn_1502221977__fireopal_monteverde_h2o.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Aquaria

• lgsoltek

• dannystr78

Thanks Vis. This was already on my list, and it looks even more amazing in your review. Glad to read your thumbs up.

Looks like a better shading Ancient Copper. LOVE it.

Thank you.

Will now pay attention to the rest of the range :unsure:

Great review as always. This isn't a shade that I use a lot though.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

That's really beautiful!!!!

I doubt they were thinking of Pelikan when they decided to do gemstones since Monteverde's "thing" seems to be mountains...and aren't they the one that do the Giant Sequoia pens?

Does this ink have that weird "greasy" sensation that Emerald Green has?

I've been hesitant to buy another ITF monteverde ink because the emerald green has this really weird, almost oily sensation when you're writing with it, going from almost invisible to heavily pooled. I like emerald green's color but it's just an unpleasant ink to write with, so that bottle is probably never going to be used.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I love this ink, and the price is very reasonable.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I got my FireOpal.. I wanted to also get Topaz.. hopefully you have Topaz, I will love to see a review of it.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Wonderful review as always Vis, and a spectacular colour indeed. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the gemstone/edelstein thing, I immediately though to myself "what the deuce?". Anyways, as I don't have a *red* red ink yet (closest is MB Da Vinci Red Chalk), I shall definitely keep an eye on this stunner.

I just received this (fire opal) along with the Charoite. Both are spectacular and the problem is deciding which to use. They flow very well, dry promptly and just look marvelous on a variety of paper. The 90ml bottle is very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the review, Vis. This is one of my favorites...I am a big fan of the new Monteverde inks and I also enjoy how they behave. I pretty much like all the colors in this series.

The new Monteverde inks seem to be great performers.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers