Noodler's House Divided

cjr

Your eyes are not blurry. It has a bit of spread on the paper. I scanned this sample at 600 dpi. I did a spill test using a piece of 20# copy paper and poured water over it, then blotted dry. It does spread on that porous paper. This is the reverse side. Same pen as original test. Notice the hints of blue that soaked through the thin paper? Below that is a shot of the front side - you can't see any blue color.

post-109354-0-71846300-1502316699_thumb.png

post-109354-0-24193700-1502316684_thumb.jpeg

Notice that there is no blue color on the front after pouring water over the page. Very waterproof dusty red, but the blue soaks through.

The color is starting to grow on me, especially since it dries so fast and is permanent. I am going to have to try a 1.1mm stub on Rhodia to see if I can pull out the blue and get some shading.

Edited by cjr

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Memory

• amberleadavis

• Intensity

• cjr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd have really liked it if it sheened blue.

That'd have been something spectacular.

But nathan really doesn't seem interested in inks that sheen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Your eyes are not blurry. It has a bit of spread on the paper. I scanned this sample at 600 dpi.

Notice that there is no blue color on the front after pouring water over the page. Very waterproof dusty red, but the blue soaks through.

Much thanks. Could have been the very low resolution jpeg compression causing the blurryness. You scanned at 600dpi, but the pics displayed were a measly 80k. The black print was blurry too, and I'm sure there was no ink spread there.

And yes, actually I do see blue dots/halo on that front side pic. Not a lot, but quite visible to me: atop the 'e' and squiggles, the corners of the grid.

I'm starting to like this ink. I bought Rome is Burning after trying a sample. It's a weird ink too.

I ordered a bottle of this ink & it is on its way to me. I want to see this ink in person. As usual with Noodler's ink, I like the label.

Much thanks. Could have been the very low resolution jpeg compression causing the blurryness. You scanned at 600dpi, but the pics displayed were a measly 80k. The black print was blurry too, and I'm sure there was no ink spread there.

And yes, actually I do see blue dots/halo on that front side pic. Not a lot, but quite visible to me: atop the 'e' and squiggles, the corners of the grid.

I'm starting to like this ink. I bought Rome is Burning after trying a sample. It's a weird ink too.

If you really zoom in, you will see dots around the edges of the ink, every edge. So, compression artifacts would be my guess on the front. Would be interesting to see the raw image, but that would be a HUGE file.

Peace and Understanding

Thank you for the review, but it looks like something that comes out of my pen after the first rinse. Too watered down.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thanks for the review. Think the ink is not for me -- it's got the same sort of flatness in tone that I didn't like in Empire Red (and to some extent my sample of Upper Ganges Blue ).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Honestly people... I think the pictures here flatters the ink. I such a dull colour... I will play with mine, see if I can drop a dye to it to change its colour.

The permanence is fantastic if you want to sketch with it.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks for the prompt review! As a scientist and scientific educator, sometimes I appreciate the challenges that Mr. Tardiff likes to replicate with his inks even if there not aesthetically appealing. And then other times I'm very simple and "just want that perfect purple in bulletproof and nonbulletproof forms please" ;)

Have you tried illuminating the ink with blacklight yet to see the blue tones? What happend with the blue UV-reactive tones when you did the water washes? I"m asking because it sounds like it could be really cool for a couple of my science intesnives. I love teaching basic chromatography, ink solubility, and the difference between fluorescence and phoshorescence. Then we have a cool spy science module where they study cryptography and sending secret messages. I love introducing the to Bulletproof and Eternal inks. I'll definitely order as sample, but sometimes that's not enough to fully test a course module.

TL;DR post about why I see both sides of the argument:

I see both sides to the argument, and I appreciate Nathan's quirkiness as he explains the inspiration behind his pens and inks/ink labels. I learn a lot of American history from a unique perspective.

I am the firstborne Vietnamese refugee; my parents fled South Vietnam when Saigan fell. I wound up growing up in a very small Texas town where we ere the only Asians because we were sponsored by the oldest Southern Lutheran church. What does such a weird background result in? I'm more familiar with Swedish, Norwegian, and other Eastern European cultures and foods growing up, I know contemporary American History starting with the first War in Iraq, and for whatever reason, I focused on European history and never really picked up modern American History.

It's funny growing up as a child of refugess because there's this complete gap in my knowledge between WWII and the late 80/early 90s. I've been slowly accumulating knowledge from my in-laws, but there's stlll so much I don't know. As such, I guess I see Noodler's inks as two birds with one stone: some inky alchemy as well as a personal dose of American history.

It's funny growing up as a child of refugess because there's this complete gap in my knowledge between WWII and the late 80/early 90s. I've been slowly accumulating knowledge from my in-laws, but there's stlll so much I don't know. As such, I guess I see Noodler's inks as two birds with one stone: some inky alchemy as well as a personal dose of American history.

Agreed, Noodler's inks have something for the chemist and the armchair historian. I've read up on a lot of random history just from wanting to know what the label was talking about.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I like the news, even the fluorescent ones.

Color retention after washing with water also seems interesting. (its permanent properties @goldspot rev)
I have Lapis Legal an Rome Burning and wonder how House Divided behave on different papers.

This color reminds me of Roulle d'Ancre, whose sample I received recently from Visvamitra for a group review at the PWF forum. If I had a sample I would be sure the colour matches.

I dislike Roulle d'Ancre but House Divided seems to be intriguing.

link @goldspot rev

Edited by Diedre

I like the news, even the fluorescent ones.

Color retention after washing with water also seems interesting. (@goldspot rev)

This color reminds me of Roulle d'Ancre, whose sample I received recently from Visvamitra for a group review at the PWF forum. If I had a sample I would be sure the colour matches.

I dislike Roulle d'Ancre but House Divided seems to be intriguing.

I didn't see a review on Goldspot. Would you mind posting a link? I'm still on the fence.

I did, however, see a review on Goulet today :)

Well, "Puce" is an unusual color & this one seems to be a bit lighter in shade than many of the traditional Puces, one encounters. I really can't think of the nib, pen or paper which could make this ink attractive to me & I respect Mr. Tardif for his mastery. It was a pleasure to purchase his BERNING Red ink, but I have "Brown Pink" inks from 2 makers, that has me covered for this color family!

If the need for Puce calls, I am already prepared AND have a back-up!

No harm meant, but, as re the color of this ink, I'd spell that -- not with a c -- but with a k.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I received my sample from Goulet today. Sadly, I'm also disappointed.

Mr. Tardiff mentions that it is a "cordovan plum" color. I couldn't figure out what that color would be, even after some extensive google searches. Finally I came across a vintage pen that listed the color as cordovan red, so maybe that's where the naem comes from? Either way, it's a brownish red that stains your fingers nicely if you want them to look like dried blood (this isn't a negative. I perform sometimes, and this would be so much better that some of the oter makeup I've used for that effect.

I looked made several samples, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get dramatic variation with a UV blacklight. There's a picture on a Goulet review if you want to see what it looks like under UV light. If you look closely, there's just a tiny bit of blue speckling. On the back of paper there is a bit of bleedthrough that is lightly blue if I use a Neponset music nib, so a ton of ink. Soaking the paper in water made some of the darker red tones lift. After that, your writing sample will a decent brick red.

I happened to purchase a bottle of Empire Red a few months ago when it was available. Strangely, it does look fluoresce strongly under blacklight. This ink is bullet proof, so a little comes off the paper, but not much. I didn't see a blue halo.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I just saw this on the Noodler's website. Did you know it is a UV ink?

http://noodlersink.com/wp-content/uploads/House-divided-black-light-716x1024.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY