Noodler's House Divided

cjr

Just got back from the DC Pen Show. Several retailers had the latest Nooder's ink, House Divided. From his description, I was expecting a reddish blue ink that when washed leaves behind a permanent red line. I was able to sample the bottle at Luxury Brand's table. The ink is not what I was expecting. It is actually a dusty rose/burgundy color with barely a hint of blue in it. I came home and immediately loaded it into a Pilot Prera medium pen and did some testing. I also did a spill test during which I wrote on a piece of 28# paper, let it dry, and then poured tap water over it. After it dried, I scanned the image and it is included below.

Observations: This is a very permanent ink! It is somewhere between Noodler's Empire Red and DeAtramentis Document Red, maybe with a hint of Kung Te cheng. The spill test and the water drop test barely washed anything away. Placing a couple drops on the Review Sheet and allowing them to dry without blotting caused a hint of blue coloring to flee to the water's edge, but barely a noticeable change. If you are looking for a permanent dusty rose ink, this is a good one to look at. Flow is excellent, no bleed through, and barely any show through. No feathering, but a bit of spread on the 28# copy paper. I tested it on Rhodia, and it behaved very well. Dry time is less than 1 second, even on the Rhodia!

I bought my bottle from Federalist Pens at the show. At least one other retailer had the ink at the Show. I would guess it will be available on-line from the vendors who carry Noodler's.

post-109354-0-84790900-1501964210_thumb.jpeg

post-109354-0-90641100-1501964619_thumb.jpg

Edited by cjr

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Memory

• amberleadavis

• Intensity

• cjr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you very much for your MOST timely review of this new ink. I am extremely thankful you would take the time to share a writing sample with us, so soon after purchase. It is thanks to you I can relax & I hope for Mr. Tardif's sake this ink is a "sell out," because of his talent & inventive nature, but not worry about having to have a bottle. Waterproof or not, the color just isn't appealing to me & I would have never known it, if you hadn't taken the time to share your ink.

Agree with BP...a little bland for my taste. I much prefer well saturated dark red inks. Props to Nathan for another well behaved and waterproof ink.

Thank you very much for your MOST timely review of this new ink. I am extremely thankful you would take the time to share a writing sample with us, so soon after purchase. It is thanks to you I can relax & I hope for Mr. Tardif's sake this ink is a "sell out," because of his talent & inventive nature, but not worry about having to have a bottle. Waterproof or not, the color just isn't appealing to me & I would have never known it, if you hadn't taken the time to share your ink.

+1

Rather bland/pastel in color, BUT, is that due to the pen?

I've seen inks differ significantly based on the ink flow from the pen.

This ink may want a WET pen.

So I will have to withhold judgement till I can see another test.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I actually quite like the color I'm seeing here. Not quite sure if it would make it to daily rotation, but I certainly would have a use for it. Here's hoping that it's available after the show.

OH MY - you have saved me. What a disappointment. Ucky. Thank you for the timely review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Many fans of the ink maker today, but not many fans of the ink in question.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Well, "Puce" is an unusual color & this one seems to be a bit lighter in shade than many of the traditional Puces, one encounters. I really can't think of the nib, pen or paper which could make this ink attractive to me & I respect Mr. Tardif for his mastery. It was a pleasure to purchase his BERNING Red ink, but I have "Brown Pink" inks from 2 makers, that has me covered for this color family!

If the need for Puce calls, I am already prepared AND have a back-up!

With inks like House Divided, Rome Burning, and Proctor's Ledge, I get the clear impression that Nathan Tardiff enjoys technical challenges as much as beautiful colors. Speaking of which, I've been using plain old Noodler's violet recently, a rich and lovely purple.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Noodler's Purple is one of the best inks I have ever used.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I love the Noodler's inks I have. (I have several) This ink does nothing for me at all. I have at least one of his inks on my wish list, maybe two. This House Divided won't be on the wish list, sadly.

I have not yet cracked open my bottle yet to test it myself, but I sampled it a few times. It is muted (with some interesting properties, I understand). Like every other ink, I can find a use for it, I think. It may not be in an everyday pen, but it looks like one of those inks that, if you use it to write a letter, they'll never forget the color.

Great review! I must say that I am not in the least tempted.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hmmm, that's much lighter than I imagined it would be.

Can I ask for a new picture? It's so blurry (out of focus?) it hurts my eyes. I can't tell if it the color is accurate.