Newbie From Deerfield, Il

Fred101

Hi Guys,

My name is Fred, I’m a newbie, and I live about 20 miles north of Chicago. My wife and I are planning to retire in the next few years so we are starting to prepare for it. Anyway, while doing so I came across one of my father’s old projects which involved building and selling fountain pen holders. Anyway, I now own a whole bunch of Eversharp Manifold Medium pens. Virgins, I suspect. (That can’t be the right word. What is the right word for a pen that has never been used? Do pens need to be broken in?) So, I’m going to try writing with one of the pens to see how it feels and looks. (Does the ink I use matter? What’s a good ink for my pen?

But that still leaves me with a bunch of Eversharps that I don’t need. I figure that if I find I like writing with a fountain pen, but I don’t like the Eversharp I can use that money to buy something better. So, how do I sell these things? (I assume they’re worth something. Are they?) My only ideas are to use ebay or, maybe, put up a card table in front of my house and sell them there. Eversharps and lemonade, maybe. Any better ideas? Anything I should try to find out about my pens before I try to sell them?

My thanks in advance for any help any of you can give me. Even by newbie standards I’m a newbie. I’m a pre-fetus or something.

Anyway, thanks,

Fred

post-138156-0-91696200-1501962989_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fjoly79

• mallymal1

• hachikomustang

• Henricum_Tropen

Welcome aboard, Fred, from Charleston, SC. I'm sure you'll get good suggestions from members here as to how to sell your pens-you might try putting a post under the subforum of Members Helping Members, which is a couple of sub forums below the Introductions subforum. People sell here under Classifieds, although I think as a newbie you might have a waiting period before you can post there. As a newbie, you might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and it will help you avoid making some mistakes. Some other websites with useful information for newbies are Goulet Pen Company (some good YouTube how to videos related to Goulet), and Jetpens. Good luck, and have fun.

Mike

Fred, hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi Fred... :W2FPN:

I don't really know about selling pens. Never done it.

I do know that some of the members here use eBay, and the Classifieds on FPN.

If you head to the Ink sub forums, you'll find lots of info on what inks are available.

Good luck.

Hello Fred and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome !

A unused fountain pen, in the same condition as when it left the manufacturer, might be called "mint".

In the case of fountain pens, that fill with a lever-activated rubber sac, there is concern with the condition of the sac, which deteriorated with age, regardless of use. If there is any resistance to operating the fill lever, other than the "sponginess" of a rubber bulb. The sac is dried and should be replaced. The danger is ink leakage.

Most modern fountain pen inks are safe to use in your pens. Fountain pen ink ONLY. Some of the modern "saturated" inks have bright, vivid colors. The beauty is attractive, but may be more difficult to clean from the pen.

Inks available at the time the was made, should be safe. Pelikan 4001 series, Parker Quink, Sheaffer.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !