Jacques Herbin 1798 Amethyste De L'oural / Ural Amethyst

bureaudirect

Hmmm. Do I need another sparkly dark violet ink? I'm still on the fence with this one. But I am happy about the wider opening on the bottle. Is that enough for me to order some? I'm awash with indecision this morning... ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Studio97

• bureaudirect

• amberleadavis

• Astronymus

Hmmm. Do I need another sparkly dark violet ink? I'm still on the fence with this one. But I am happy about the wider opening on the bottle. Is that enough for me to order some? I'm awash with indecision this morning... ;)

Some's good.....more's better.

Has anyone used this ink enough yet to know whether it actually stains badly? My bottle came with a caution sticker saying

CAUTION: Highly Saturated Ink

- Clean the nib and section with damp cloth to avoid potential staining

- Don't leave ink in fountain pen reservoir

When I tried L'Amethyste at the San Francisco Pen show, it seemed like a nicely saturated ink but nothing that would have to bear a warning label.

I assume that a "fountain pen reservoir" is a converter, or the barrel of a piston filler, or a sac (for those intrepid enough to use an ink like this in a sack pen), but what is the alternative to leaving ink in the reservoir? Decanting it from the pen into a vial at the end of the day?

I have a few highly saturated inks--and all my inks except one are purple--but none came with a warning like this.

I use a Cross Baily and refill empty cartridges i keep on hand. I have not noticed any staining. And this has become a favorite ink. I flush the pen with water between refills.

Has anyone used this ink enough yet to know whether it actually stains badly? My bottle came with a caution sticker saying

CAUTION: Highly Saturated Ink

- Clean the nib and section with damp cloth to avoid potential staining

- Don't leave ink in fountain pen reservoir

When I tried L'Amethyste at the San Francisco Pen show, it seemed like a nicely saturated ink but nothing that would have to bear a warning label.

I assume that a "fountain pen reservoir" is a converter, or the barrel of a piston filler, or a sac (for those intrepid enough to use an ink like this in a sack pen), but what is the alternative to leaving ink in the reservoir? Decanting it from the pen into a vial at the end of the day?

I have a few highly saturated inks--and all my inks except one are purple--but none came with a warning like this.

All of the J. Herbin anniversary inks (e.g., Emerald of Chivor, Rouge Hématite, etc.) come with this warning label. I imagine that it's because their usual inks are relatively unsaturated in comparison to these special inks. And I do understand your nervousness about the label —the first time I saw one of these labels, like you, I was a little put off by it.

But since I have not tried this particular ink, I can't say whether it really and truly stains —so I'd advise some reasonable caution with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a US nickel sized drop of Rouge Hematite on a nice cloth placemat. I thought I’d ruined it. Hazy memory but maybe Amodex then Era and the red was gone. Relief.

The Amethyste de l’Oural is either my favorite or top 2 of J Herbin’s sparkly inks. It’s gorgeous.

Atlas Stationers in Chicago has 15 bottles in stock (just checked). They also have free shipping. I’m a happy customer from shopping at the store then online. I contacted them about having the Amethyste in stock in September. The VP emailed back about getting some...long story short they got me a bottle in time for my late September birthday. atlasstationers.com

Posted Image