Jacques Herbin 1798 Amethyste De L'oural / Ural Amethyst

bureaudirect

Hi folks,

It's 2nd of August and we can finally talk about this amazing new anniversary ink :)

I'll start it all off with official info first:

1798 INKS
The Maison HERBIN’s exclusive collection of
1798 Inks celebrates the year Jacques HERBIN
first introduced his own line of quality inks, an
important event in the history of this house
founded three centuries ago and whose story
continues today… Deep unsaturated colours
with optimal pressure sensitivity, 1798 Inks are
illuminated with shimmering flecks of silver for
an elegant finish.

AMÉTHYSTE DE L’OURAL (URAL AMETHYST)
Solid dark purple in the velvety hue of amethyst
with the satin finish of a silver mist for a lustrous
shimmering effect and a noble allure. Ural
Amethyst suggests the fires of this precious
gemstone from the reaches of Asia, prized by
jewellers of long ago.

The box is now a smart grey with purple label and white writing. It does stand out nicely on plain background. Overall design looks more mature and reminds me of perfume bottle packaging. Capacity stays the same - 50ml of silver sheen enhanced ink aka superink.

J Herbin listened to feedback and changed the bottle neck - it has new, wider, 2cm opening. Thumbs up! The new bottle is slightly bigger, but the shape remains the same. Cap is covered in purple wax. A shiny looking scarf goes around the bottle neck and suits it very well. I wonder if Jacques himself was so lavishly dressed! On the front there's the 1798 stamp which ties up the scarf and a colour label underneath with the ink name - Améthyste de l'Oural. To finish it all off, the glass on the bottom of the bottle is embossed with Jacques Herbin and his mighty ship.

....And now for the ink itself :happyberet:

Colour of Ural Amethyst is everything we wanted - regal, majestic, dark, mysterious purple. This is the first time J Herbin used silver particles - previous 1670 range of inks used only gold. The ink is amazing - the more I use it, the more I love it.

I have left it in the pen for a week or so - there were no hard starts, pen started writing immediately. The particles move quickly and distribute very well. That said, the bottle needs shaking before inking (as usual) and turning the pen in hand before writing will make a huge difference to the shimmer.

Now to the main point, how it writes... I did some comparisons with other purple inks and paper from Rhodia, Leuchtturm and Tomoe River. You will hardly notice the green sheen, that is mainly just eye candy from using special paper. As always, the shine does depend on the viewing angle and light source etc but the silver effect is superb though - highlighting the dark tones of the deep purple body beautifully. I think I've fallen in love again...

Official release day is 1st September 2017.

What do you think? Will this ink top the popularity of Emerald of Chivor??

Enjoy :wub:

post-72249-0-81974700-1501683680_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-00870200-1501683700_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-69796400-1501683712_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-19846600-1501683741_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-56772200-1501683752_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-51105000-1501683774_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-85015300-1501683788_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-47476200-1501683801_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-58857700-1501683810_thumb.jpgpost-72249-0-01276700-1501683820_thumb.jpg

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Studio97

• bureaudirect

• amberleadavis

• ENewton

To my eyes, it looks like it has gold shimmer in some of those pictures - is that a combination of silver glitter and green sheen, or...?

To my eyes, it looks like it has gold shimmer in some of those pictures - is that a combination of silver glitter and green sheen, or...?

That's green gold sheen on Tomoe River/Perga paper :)

www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect

Oh MY....

This is a "want... must HAAAVE!" And I say that even with having a bottle of Diamine Purple Pazazz (and a sample of Diamine Lilac Satin, which I haven't had a chance to try yet), already. B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Bringing any swatches to the London Pen Club on Saturday ? - already tempted by it (though not the price, unless it's an error on your site).

Bringing any swatches to the London Pen Club on Saturday ? - already tempted by it (though not the price, unless it's an error on your site).

We only have a prototype bottle, but I will bring inked pen :)

www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect

I noticed that Jaques seemed to be on the bottle for this ink and it hasn't been for the others. :unsure:

I've ordered one from a US seller for a slightly better price ;)

DROOL DROOL DROOL

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for the great review.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered tonight as i received email that it was available. Some sites allowing only one bottle per customer. Selling very fast i think.

Edited by Studio97

Ordered tonight as i received email that it was available. Some sites allowing only one bottle per customer. Selling very fast i think.

Where did you order it? Everywhere I looked yesterday said "Out-of-Stock," which I was hoping was a place-holder, but your post makes me wonder :huh: