Turquoise - Graf Von Faber-Castell

visvamitra

Graf von Faber-Castell was founded in 1761 and developed into the major manufacturer of wood-cased pencils. With time they started to offer much broader range of products. Few years ago company's introduced six inks. Last year they've added three new colors to the line. This year they've done the same. Three new GvFC colors hit the shelfs.

1. Burned Orange
  2. Carbon Black
  3. Cobalt Blue
  4. Deep Sea Green
  5. Electric Pink
  6. Garnet Red
  7. Hazelnut Brown
  8. Midnight Blue
  9. Moss Green
  10. Royal Blue
  11. Stone Grey
  12. Turquoise
  13. Violet Blue

fpn_1501530220__turquoise.jpg

Turquoise is one of three new additions to the line. As many of you know I'm not a turquoise fan. There are turquoises that are tolerable but GvFC ink is more on a dreadful side. It has it all that makes me clench the teeth. Aargh.

Apart from being ugly, there's nothing wrong with it. The flow is average, maybe closer to Pelikan 4001 than J. Herbin but I would be surprised to hear it felt to dry. There's practically no feathering and bleedthrough. The ink lacks saturation a bit.

fpn_1501530797__turquoise_gvfc_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1501530823__turquoise_gvfc_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1501530852__turquoise_gvfc_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1501530863__turquoise_gvfc_l_4.jpg

Rhodia, FC Ambition, B

fpn_1501530909__turquoise_gvfc_rhodia_1.

fpn_1501530931__turquoise_gvfc_rhodia_2.

Discovery 70 mgsm copy paper, Waterman Hemisphere, F

fpn_1501530952__turquoise_gvfc_discovery

fpn_1501530996__turquoise_gvfc_discovery

Rhodia, Graf von Faber-Castell Guilloche, F

fpn_1501531015__turquoise_gvfc_l_1.jpg

fpn_1501531053__turquoise_gvfc_l_2.jpg

fpn_1501531069__turquoise_gvfc_l_5.jpg

Moleskine, Faber-Castell Ambition, B

fpn_1501531083__turquoise_gvfc_moleskine

fpn_1501531121__turquoise_gvfc_moleskine

fpn_1501531132__turquoise_gvfc_moleskine

Water resistance

fpn_1501531155__turquoise_gvfc_h2o.jpg

Mini-comparison

fpn_1501530747__turquoise_gvfc_c.jpg

Rhodia, GvFC Guilloche, F

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• visvamitra

• lapis

• lgsoltek

Nice review as usual and I'll go along with you in that it is an ugly colour. To each his own turquoise and all that, but this is by no means a turquoise (which isn't all that easy to whip out). It's more of a spit-out menthol green.

IYAM

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great review, Vis! While I am a lover of turquoise and blue-greens, I must agree with your assessment. I would not say "ugly", I would say "anemic". It has no vibrancy that a turquoise should have. Yuck!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

A very green end of Turquoise. I have this ink coming so will have a chance to compare it with other less blue options. Visconti is to me very much to the blue end. Turquoises fall in a colour band I like.

X

I am coming to the conclusion that most turquoise inks look about the same. Maybe the go-to dyes for turquoise are so consistent that all companies use them, and that's why they look the same. If there are turquoise fans out there, please tell us which turquoise ink is the gold medalist.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I think it is a nice color, and I like turquoise on both the green side and blue side. But the saturation level is too shallow, and it indeed looks anemic to me.

Thank you for the review. I was wondering what made GVFC decide to go for this kind of blue. Being a brand with a very strong character choosing for a pale water blue.

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium

I am coming to the conclusion that most turquoise inks look about the same. Maybe the go-to dyes for turquoise are so consistent that all companies use them, and that's why they look the same. If there are turquoise fans out there, please tell us which turquoise ink is the gold medalist.

Given the different shades I think everyone is running their own race. :)

I see Lamy and Waterman (Inspired Blue) turquoises highly recommended here and commend both myself. I like also Robert Oster's and Visconti's. I am fearing the GvFC will run behind the other four. I do not know because it still has not shipped. The seller is waiting for another item to arrive.

edit:editorial

Edited by praxim

X

Well, given the price, ink looks and behavior I would say cheap Pelikan 4001 Turquoise is much better ink in every possible way.

Well, yes.

But for the price here Sheaffer turquoise is the hit.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That's... bad.

Waterman obsession blue (turquoise) even lamy turquoise.

It's definitely closer to true turquoise, but in that case... Sailor Yama-dori is more saturated, visible, and sheens HARD.

image.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Yes, this turquoise is too light for me. But it looks like a true turquoise - a bit like the Caribbean sea at a white sand beach.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

• 1 month later...

I have been able to try this ink now. In a medium nib Aurora Optima (Italian Flag 18k) it emerged just a little more saturated than I had expected from Vis' samples, but very close. Other turquoises I use tend to have a little more blue although I agree with Honeybadgers that this may be a little more true to the nominal colour. It is quite flat in appearance. However, preferring another turquoise (or any other colour) is not the end of the story. This one will never see an F nib with me but is otherwise quite pleasant on the page when returning to it later, even if running behind others in my preferences. It certainly does not excite on first writing and is not a "must buy again" ink; nor is it one I regret or consider fairly useless (much as I enjoy some of his inks and plan to buy a few more, Mr Oster has a bit for which to answer also).

X