Substitutes For Shellac With Parker 51 Vacumatic Repair

Alcuin

I recently took apart my Parker 51 vacumatic to clean it and replace the diaphragm (still looking for the right tool the remove the pump).

When I eventually get it all back together, I'd like to avoid using shellac. While I don't anticipate opening the pen for a very long time, I'd still rather avoid having to melt the shellac all over again. Is there and alternative that I could apply to the pen that wouldn't harden over time? I'm thinking silicon grease might be the answer, but I'm not sure.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReadyFireAim

• Chrissy

• mitto

• Alcuin

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all you need the correct tool to remove the pump. You can't remove it without that tool. -_-

Pentooling has them, and he also has the other tools and parts that you will need. :)

I didn't use shellac on my Parker 51 Vac when I reassembled it. ;)

(If you only intend to repair one pen then you can buy a complete replacement pump with sac attached.) :)

Where are you putting the shellac?

I do not use any shellac when I do a vac.

In the back, the filler goes in without any adhesive at all. The filler screwing down on bushing will seal the diaphram against the barrel.

On the front, I use section sealant/rosin to secure the hood on the pen. This is the place that shellac was used. Rosin softens at a lower temp then shellac, so makes for easier removal.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I recently took apart my Parker 51 vacumatic to clean it and replace the diaphragm (still looking for the right tool the remove the pump).

When I eventually get it all back together, I'd like to avoid using shellac. While I don't anticipate opening the pen for a very long time, I'd still rather avoid having to melt the shellac all over again. Is there and alternative that I could apply to the pen that wouldn't harden over time? I'm thinking silicon grease might be the answer, but I'm not sure.

We need to drill down on this a bit to understand why and/or where the shellac idea comes from. For the casual reader, it often gets mentioned that the filler nut needs to be shellacked in place for any number of reasons. It does not, and Parker never advised to do this.

So where did the idea come from. If it is on FPN somewhere lets go correct that idea. If it is on some other social media-I'll offer to repair the pens after they have been fixed.

If you are talking about the section, then you don't use shellac, you use rosin as mentioned.

If you insist on using shellac when fixing a Vacumatic you can shellac the diaphragm to the ferrule but even that isn't going to get you much.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.