• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• R_Bones

• Bo Bo Olson

• Pen Engineer

For me: Scratchiness > Toothiness > Feedbacky > Smooth > Buttery > Glassy... All with a certain degree of feedback, unpleasant or pleasant.

Feedback is the feel of the nib on paper that is noted by a sound.

As a Newbie I wanted my nibs on the buttery side when I used more pressure to write.

As I used my Fountain Pens more and found more comfortable fountain pens I developed more of a light touch and found more feedback to be better for this making writing more effortless while gaining that same feel as before with my smoother nibs and harder pressure.

My favorite nibs have a descent amount of feedback, but no edge nor scratchiness nor drag. I don't really like Buttery Smooth nor Glassy smooth nibs because I like to feel the nib on paper. I like the sound of it if it's not squeaky.

I have a few nibs I thought were perfectly smooth months ago and now they are too smooth for me.

I like to adjust the feedback using different inks depending on dryness, wetness, and lubrication. Noodler's Walnut is my dry ink, and Sailor Kiwa-Guro is my most lubricated allowing me to smooth out the toothiness of some nibs to a pleasant feedbacky smoothness.

Any favorite combinations Indigo?

You know I have had a couple surprise me:

1*FPR Himalaya (Ebonite) with a TWSBI Eco/Mini Medium Nib and Noodler's Walnut. The ebonite gives an excellent grip I couldn't get on the Acrylic. Noodler's Walnut has been sitting around my closet since it was too dry for me with my other pens that didn't put down a beautiful dark brown this combo does.

2*Noodler's Charlie with FPR Medium nib and Kung Te-Cheng. I couldn't get Kung Te-Cheng to work well in most of my pens or pen-nib combos, but this one works like magic (Ebonite Feed) and I love the beautiful color of this ink: A favorite. FPR nibs are hit or miss so I always have to buy a few to find at least one that works, but when they work they have that lovely feedback to them that actually introduced me to and made me like feedback with my nib.

I was so surprised with how I was enjoying these two pen-nib-ink combos that I uninked my Franklin Christoph Marietta to keep from clogging from lack of use, and then purchased a Noodler's Ebonite Konrad and a Goulet Medium nib, which is on the way. I find I like ebonite pens and feeds :P

Otherwise... no real surprises. Behind these two favorite combos is my F-C Marietta with a basic Goulet Medium nib and Noodler's Air-Corps BB or HoDarkness. This combo functions just as well as my staple: Jinhao with a Goulet M.

I'm always curious to hear about others' as well ;) . is there anything you found MuddyWaters?

Which nib size in the 3776 would you say provides that pleasurable experience?

Mm, I'd say any 3776 Century nib in Fine and above would have that nice 2B pencil-like feedback.

3776 Extra Fine and UEF (Ultra-Extra Fine, this one gets close to needlepoint territory) nibs are just a tad too sharp for me. That said, however, I'm someone who normally prefers Western Mediums, so another person who likes very-fine nibs more than I do might be more enthusiastic towards the 3776 EF and UEF.

I prefer regular flex for shading, it is a comfortable ride and M&F are good widths for shading. Skinnier don't shade well....or well enough for me.

B can be a tad wet.

Semi-flex is often a wet nib due to ease of tine spread.

One needs 90g or more paper for good shading.

Paper is important to any feeling you want....and some papers, laid or linen texture could well do with at least a M and a B could be wide enough to be smooth enough.......at least for me. I find my 200 Brown Marbled EF a bit narrow for laid. I've not tried linen texture for that.

Laid paper is made on a screen, laid on the screen....linen texture is either pressed on a form or rolled over one with pressure....to get the old time feeling of very good paper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Feedback = friction= Singing :D

When you write with a pen and ink you should get the sensation of your thoughts passing through your hand moment, through the pen on to the paper with a song, you'll feel better.

This is why I prefer pens that always sings on my papers. :lol:

Look at dip pen calligraphy. I you don't like nails or toothy nibs forget calligraphy. Try a Dip pen for sometimes and get familiar to the way is sounds then this "feedback" matters you no more.

Feedback = friction= Singing :D

When you write with a pen and ink you should get the sensation of your thoughts passing through your hand moment, through the pen on to the paper with a song, you'll feel better.

This is why I prefer pens that always sings on my papers. :lol:

Look at dip pen calligraphy. I you don't like nails or toothy nibs forget calligraphy. Try a Dip pen for sometimes and get familiar to the way is sounds then this "feedback" matters you no more.

sing us your song Mr Tambourine Man ;)

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design