Fc Model 02 - To Clip Or Not To Clip? Go!

FPRebel

NICE!! Great pen - I KNOW since this is exactly the pen I have! Now toss the converter - you'll love it all the more!

I plan on eyedroppering the pen. I just wanted to make sure the nib flow gave me the shade of ink color I wanted. On my F-C Pocket 66 it came out too dark and I had to go to the bottle of lighter ink. In other pens the lighter ink was too light and needed the darker one ;) So I used the converter for the first fill. I will silicone the threads and filler it up this weekend. The only F-C I will leave with the converter is the model 31 which I can't see the ink in. I don't like the idea of doing this with an opaque body.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPRebel

• Driften

• bbs

• Mister5

I plan on eyedroppering the pen. I just wanted to make sure the nib flow gave me the shade of ink color I wanted. On my F-C Pocket 66 it came out too dark and I had to go to the bottle of lighter ink. In other pens the lighter ink was too light and needed the darker one ;) So I used the converter for the first fill. I will silicone the threads and filler it up this weekend. The only F-C I will leave with the converter is the model 31 which I can't see the ink in. I don't like the idea of doing this with an opaque body.

:thumbup:

Whether I or anyone else eyedroppers a pen that can be is typically insignificant to me and is best left to the whim of the moment. Something about this pen though.....it begs to be eyedroppered, imho; the converter inside doesn't look "right." I began a Model 02 Antique Glass thread in FP Reviews, I hope you will feel free to join in with pics of yours and to show some of the ink flow since a specific blue is an important part of what you chase in a pen.

:thumbup:

Whether I or anyone else eyedroppers a pen that can be is typically insignificant to me and is best left to the whim of the moment. Something about this pen though.....it begs to be eyedroppered, imho; the converter inside doesn't look "right." I began a Model 02 Antique Glass thread in FP Reviews, I hope you will feel free to join in with pics of yours and to show some of the ink flow since a specific blue is an important part of what you chase in a pen.

The ink shade is just something you learn. My favorite ink is Iroshiuku Kon-Peki. I had noticed that some pens write darker or lighter with that ink. A friend gave be a bottle of Iroshiuku Ama-Iro which is a shade lighter and in the wetter pens it looks the same as Kon-peki and in drier pens it is too light. It's not really the pen but the nib. With the M Stub in the pocket 66 Kon-Peki is too dark, but with the F nib its the shade I like. Each nib will have its own rules on what it likes. I expect even two of the same grade nib will just flow differently with some inks. It is part of the fun of fountain pen ownership!

I also have pens inked up with teal, green, purple, and red inks mostly Pilot Iroshiuku inks. Years ago I only used dark blue and I have bottles of Montblanc, Visconti, and Private Reserve that I never use now from them feeling too dark.

Here's mine :)fpn_1503120005__fc_02_5921_close.jpg

Thanks for posting that writing sample. I'm in the market for a Marietta when the Tiger Red returns. I've got two FCs with stubs, which I very much like (one more than the other) then tried a SIG, but that CI looks lovely. How would you say it compares with a stub for smoothness and sweet spot?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thanks for posting that writing sample. I'm in the market for a Marietta when the Tiger Red returns. I've got two FCs with stubs, which I very much like (one more than the other) then tried a SIG, but that CI looks lovely. How would you say it compares with a stub for smoothness and sweet spot?

I have both the stub in M as well as the CI in M from F-C. The CI is just as smooth if not smoother! It could be Masuyama had a really good day on it but I have had zero issues with sweet spot or anything with the CI and its crisper then the stub. The two SIG nibs I tried were also crisper then the stub but I would cut paper at times even Rhodia paper. I thought I was doomed to only use stubs and tried the CI knowing I can return it for the stub if it did not work out. I now wish I had not bothered with stubs. I hope that helps.

I would suggest go with CI and then if you don't like it have them exchange the nib for you!

Thanks, good idea! Now hoping for Tiger Red to come back in rotation and sterling to buck up!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I'm glad Driften chimed in with a comparison for you! This is my first Franklin-Christoph, but Mr. Masuyama knows how to do CI nibs. Mine is super smooth, zero issues searching for a sweet spot - it writes very well practically any way that I hold it. I sincerely recommend Franklin-Christoph and this nib!