Fc Model 02 - To Clip Or Not To Clip? Go!

FPRebel

I'm thrilled that I'll soon have my first Franklin Christoph. I jumped on the Model 02 in antique glass when the opportunity came up a few months ago.

I received an email that my pen is ready. I'm likely going with the Masuyama HPS CI - M, or possibly the HPS SIG - F.

If you have pics to support your opinion, all the better.....

Your input is needed! Quickly, please: Clip or no clip?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPRebel

• Driften

• bbs

• Mister5

Thank you very much for sharing your view! You confirmed my concern about the clip.

Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show up for me; all I see is a Photobucket splash screen or placeholder.

In some models (Model 20 and 31) the clip can be removed. The top of the cap unscrews and the screw that holds the clip can be removed and the cap put back on.

Congrats on your glass 02! I am still waiting for them to get down to my name on the list.

Clip for me on practically all pens. I clip 'em on tshirts, polos etc. But the 02 is one of my biggest pens, so I can definitely see why folks would say no clip on this one.

Are you going to eyedropper it? In terms of aesthetics I don't think a converter in there would be pleasing.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Thank you each for your input. Overwhelmingly the consensus confirmed my gut feeling on this....

I finalized the order with no clip, and am very happy with the decision.

Now, FC, get it here :-)

Mister 5, I'm pretty certain that it will be eyedropper only, but until it's in hand, I can't be certain. Like you, I think a converter might ruin it aesthetically, imho.

Woot, Driften!! Hope FC gets to yours really soon.

Thanks again, y'all!

Thank you each for your input. Overwhelmingly the consensus confirmed my gut feeling on this....

Mister 5, I'm pretty certain that it will be eyedropper only, but until it's in hand, I can't be certain. Like you, I think a converter might ruin it aesthetically, imho.

Thanks again, y'all!

I hope you enjoy the pen. I like the three F-C's I have.

Thanks again, y'all!

I'm pretty confident you'll love your pen. I have a Pocket 20 and the 02 and they're great, especially the nibs. I have the Medium Stub & Needlepoint (and a Fine as a backup) - all steel, and they write very well.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Thanks again, y'all!

Which nib did you end up picking to go with it?

I keep wondering what nib I will get when my name comes up. I already have F,B,M-Stub. I might go with M or B-Stub or the new gold flex. I mostly use the Medium Stub in two of my F-C's. I found I did not like the SIG nibs. They catch and cut paper on me on the up strokes at times. The M sig did it less then the F sig. I don't think its the nib just what way I write. Guess I am just not ready for something sharper then the Stub's.

I had not thought about getting it with out the clip. The clip on my Model 31 does not seem long enough and I found I don't trust the pen hanging by its clip in my cargo shorts pocket. The body vibrated lose and made an ink stain in the pocket. So now its in a slip case if carried in a pocket. My p66 and 45 XLV do not have clips and I don't miss the clip. They are the ones I normally pocket carry since they are smaller. Maybe if I wore shirts with pocket more I would care about the clip more. But I do have other pens I can clip in a shirt pocket.
In any case I was told it would be sometime in August when they got to me in the list so I expect I have more time to decide.

I'm pretty confident you'll love your pen. I have a Pocket 20 and the 02 and they're great, especially the nibs. I have the Medium Stub & Needlepoint (and a Fine as a backup) - all steel, and they write very well.

I'm pretty confident that you are 100% correct - that I will LOVE the pen. Can't wait to be able to prove both of us right!!

Even though EF is not usually my thing, some day I hope to have - or at least try - an FC needlepoint. It sounds like a very useful nib.

Which nib did you end up picking to go with it?

I had not thought about getting it with out the clip....

In any case I was told it would be sometime in August when they got to me...

I ordered the Masuyama Cursive Italic - M. Happy, happy to try this. I love stubs, and am anxious to try something crisper, and since Masuyama's are cut smoother than "traditional" italics, and also judging from everything I've read, I really believe I'll enjoy it. You're so right about writing styles affecting whether a nib is/isn't right for your hand though.

Hopefully you want have to wait as long as you think, I was also told August! :-) Remember to check your spam folder. FC is in my address book, but occasionally their emails, including this one (!) still go to spam! I check mine at least twice/wk now.

Edited by FPRebel

I'm pretty confident that you are 100% correct - that I will LOVE the pen. Can't wait to be able to prove both of us right!!

Even though EF is not usually my thing, some day I hope to have - or at least try - an FC needlepoint. It sounds like a very useful nib.

I ordered the Masuyama Cursive Italic - M. Happy, happy to try this. I love stubs, and am anxious to try something crisper, and since Masuyama's are cut smoother than "traditional" italics, and also judging from everything I've read, I really believe I'll enjoy it. You're so right about writing styles affecting whether a nib is/isn't right for your hand though.

Hopefully you want have to wait as long as you think, I was also told August! :-) Remember to check your spam folder. FC is in my address book, but occasionally their emails, including this one (!) still go to spam! I check mine at least twice/wk now.

The nice thing is if you are not happy with the nib they will exchange it for you. I expect you will be happy with the C-I. Of the two Masuyama M stubs I have its funny the #5 is smoother then the #6, but they are both really nice. The SIG's were slightly sharper, but like I said would sometimes catch paper on me and I was not able to train myself to not do that. I expect the C-I would be worse for me. I have considered sending my B nib to indy-pen-dance for a "daily italic" grind that is designed to handle rotations that I expect I am doing.

I have worked with F-C a number of times to ask questions and when I exchanged the two SIG nibs (F and M). So far none of them have ended up in the spam folder but I will keep a closer look at it to make sure I don't miss their email. I have been watching my mail closely after hearing you got your email.

No clip on that material is my vote.

Although I would usually vote for a clip on most pens, I agree with zaddick for this pen. :)

(Oh dear. My iMac autocorrects 'zaddick' to 'paddock' - I will have to watch out for that. :o )

Mine arrived. Had to do a clip. I quite like the looks of it. It looks fantastic as an eyedropper. I already have a FC Broad S.I.G. and a Masuyama Broad Stub, so I decided to get silly and ordered it with a 1.9mm Christoph Music nib. It's fantastic, a nib I would highly recommend.

"Oh deer."

Mine arrived. Had to do a clip. I quite like the looks of it. It looks fantastic as an eyedropper. I already have a FC Broad S.I.G. and a Masuyama Broad Stub, so I decided to get silly and ordered it with a 1.9mm Christoph Music nib. It's fantastic, a nib I would highly recommend.

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Please post pics! :-)

In some models (Model 20 and 31) the clip can be removed. The top of the cap unscrews and the screw that holds the clip can be removed and the cap put back on.

Congrats on your glass 02! I am still waiting for them to get down to my name on the list.

Good point. You can do this on the 02 also albeit for all there will be a small cut out visible where the clip would be. I have the 02 clipped. The only model I chose no clip was the 40. The long cap doesn't look right with a clip to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also went with no clip. I got my Model 02 AG today with the same M CI nib and I love it! It's funny the S.I.G. nibs never worked well for me but this CI is smooth and much better then the SIG's were. I wish I had gone with a Masuyama CI instead of the Masuyama Stub grinds before. The stubs are nice but this CI is better and as smooth or smoother in mine.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/F-CModel02-02.jpg

I also went with no clip. I got my Model 02 AG today with the same M CI nib and I love it! It's funny the S.I.G. nibs never worked well for me but this CI is smooth and much better then the SIG's were. I wish I had gone with a Masuyama CI instead of the Masuyama Stub grinds before. The stubs are nice but this CI is better and as smooth or smoother in mine.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/F-CModel02-02.jpg

NICE!! Great pen - I KNOW since this is exactly the pen I have! Now toss the converter - you'll love it all the more!