Water And The Boheme

Stitchpunk

So, my Boheme with the OB nib has shipped from Pentooling! And there is one thing that I still am not clear on with the Boheme, which is cleaning. There are lots of great instructions about how to flush it out with water, and also some "don't put water in it, it'll rust the mechanism" posts. And also some old posts about MB cleaning cartridges, which I don't think exist any more. Can anyone tell me definitively whether or not flushing with water is ok? Or could I use Pen Flush instead? Or is Pen Flush just water with some chemicals in it and therefore just as risky?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Stitchpunk

• dubhe

• Out0Mind

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will corrode the mechanism, which has some grease on it from Montblanc but not enough for regular flushing. Use a bulb syringe or a converter to flush the feed.

Unfortunately, there was bare steel in the older pens' mechanism that will rust. I have no idea if Montblanc wised up to this in later production. Flush by inserting a long cartridge attached to an ear syringe, or remove nib/feed/section/cartridge unit and flush outside the pen. I've done the latter, but much prefer the former.

Fred

The folks at Montblanc provided long-stem cartridge-like plastic pipettes that they'd give out for free. They're not the best quality, and only last through a few full flushes. I use an ear-bulb for cleaning, as it plugs right in. I use it in all my C/C pens, and it works just fine.

The Montblanc pipettes look like this:

https://misplumasfuente.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/montblanc-cleaning-cartridge-caja-y-cartucho.jpg

The earbulb I use looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/G1xrUXJ.jpg

Whatever you do, DO NOT fill the greater mechanism with water. The feed is meant to be coated in ink. The rest of the unit is not.

Unfortunately, there was bare steel in the older pens' mechanism that will rust. I have no idea if Montblanc wised up to this in later production. Flush by inserting a long cartridge attached to an ear syringe, or remove nib/feed/section/cartridge unit and flush outside the pen. I've done the latter, but much prefer the former.

Fred

The one I've bought is from 2006 so I guess that would count as older.

The folks at Montblanc provided long-stem cartridge-like plastic pipettes that they'd give out for free. They're not the best quality, and only last through a few full flushes. I use an ear-bulb for cleaning, as it plugs right in. I use it in all my C/C pens, and it works just fine.

The Montblanc pipettes look like this:

https://misplumasfuente.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/montblanc-cleaning-cartridge-caja-y-cartucho.jpg

The earbulb I use looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/G1xrUXJ.jpg

Whatever you do, DO NOT fill the greater mechanism with water. The feed is meant to be coated in ink. The rest of the unit is not.

Thanks, I wish there was a video of the process though. I'm sick and not at my sharpest...maybe when the pen arrives it will all make more sense to me! I don't have an ear bulb at the moment, just syringes. I just want to get a handle on it in case it needs cleaning when it arrives (from the photos it looked like it had an empty used cartridge with it.)

TOTALLY understood. I have the Boheme Blanc, and given what it costs, was terrified to clean it. That said, it's super easy.

Here's my process:

-Open back of pen and remove cartridge

-Turn nib to its most closed position

-Insert filled bulb tip until it has some resistance turning (this means it's inside the feed)

-Turn nib until it's more open and protruding from front of pen (but not enough to pull bulb out of feed)

-Squeeze until ink clears out of nib unit

-Repeat as needed

I avoid using soap, as there are a lot of moving parts in this pen. Water or cleaning solution usually works fine.

Don't stress! It's easier than you think and works just fine (I've cleaned mine dozens of times since receiving it).

Thanks, I wish there was a video of the process though. I'm sick and not at my sharpest...maybe when the pen arrives it will all make more sense to me! I don't have an ear bulb at the moment, just syringes. I just want to get a handle on it in case it needs cleaning when it arrives (from the photos it looked like it had an empty used cartridge with it.)

TOTALLY understood. I have the Boheme Blanc, and given what it costs, was terrified to clean it. That said, it's super easy.

Here's my process:

-Insert filled bulb tip until it has some resistance turning (this means it's inside the feed)

-Turn nib until it's more open and protruding from front of pen (but not enough to pull bulb out of feed)

-Repeat as needed

I avoid using soap, as there are a lot of moving parts in this pen. Water or cleaning solution usually works fine.

Don't stress! It's easier than you think and works just fine (I've cleaned mine dozens of times since receiving it).

Here's my process:

-Repeat as needed

Thanks! When you say bulb, I assume you are meaning one of those plastic pipettes, and you insert it into the pen as far as you can?

Thanks! When you say bulb, I assume you are meaning one of those plastic pipettes, and you insert it into the pen as far as you can?

When I say bulb, I mean an ear-cleaning bulb. I found that, because they're rubber, they end up fitting better and more securely into the Boheme and lasting SIGNIFICANTLY longer than the "cleaning cartridges."

Goulet sells them for $4:

https://www.gouletpens.com/goulet-bulb-syringe/p/GP-10001

Alternatively, you can buy them on Amazon or at your local drugstore for, most likely, a similar price. Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with Goulet Pens. They just sell awesome stuff.

If shipping is an issue, Amazon is selling an almost identical piece for about $5:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hand-Bulb-Ear-Syringes-Each/dp/B000BB82XK/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1501207558&sr=8-2&keywords=ear+bulb

To answer your question, yes. Insert it until you feel it stop and give a little resistance when you twist it; that's about the point that you know that it's seated nicely into the feed.

Edited by Out0Mind

So the detail missing in these descriptions is that the blub filler opening needs to have a secure fit around the little protrusion that funnels ink to the feed )and is what punctures open a cartridge). If you just shove the bulb tip into the body of the pen you might not get a good fit so be careful.

I like what Fred recommend as you kow a used cartridge will have a good fit on the nipple.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

So the detail missing in these descriptions is that the blub filler opening needs to have a secure fit around the little protrusion that funnels ink to the feed )and is what punctures open a cartridge). If you just shove the bulb tip into the body of the pen you might not get a good fit so be careful.

I like what Fred recommend as you kow a used cartridge will have a good fit on the nipple.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks :) not having used one before, I assume that the ear bulb provides better water pressure for flushing than a regular syringe?

Yes, more volume of water and air so more pressure. It can be fast which is why some folks clean all their C/C pens that way.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

This is what I use, it fits all the way through the pen regardless of nib position and I cut the end so the diameter of the opening matches a cartridge.

post-73579-0-80148900-1501275068_thumb.jpg

I use an ear bulb and press it down very well then I flush out my Boheme like I do my 147. :)

I have some of the Montblanc cleaning cartridges left. Are they no longer available? I refill mine using a syringe when I want to use one of those. They only contain distilled water. :D

That pipette above would also do as good a job. :)

Here's my process:

-Repeat as needed

This is the method that I use. :)

Fred

I have never managed to remove my nib/feed/section/cartridge unit. :o I didn't even know it was possible.

I also can't move my clip to line up with the nib. :angry:

I too want to do this!

It used to be much easier than it is now. There is an excellent thread from hari on the subject. :thumbup: Sadly it has lost it's images. :(

The inside of my cap doesn't hold a screw that would take an adapted slotted screwdriver. Your Boheme might be the same. You will need a light to see inside. :)