Asa Nauka Tangerine Limited Edition

Aditkamath26

Introduction: I was just casually browsing for some pens and landed down on the ASA TransNauka (this was in between my studies for my math exam). But then on FPN I saw a review of some Tangerine Nauka and had no idea what it was. I read it and then I was hooked. I am a professional artist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw_cp6tNIvk you are welcomed to check my video of drawing a minion) and while I work with many colors, very few give that spark- black, white, blue, grey, red and orange. This was an orange pen. The glow of that material struck me.

So, the ASA Tangerine Nauka is a limited-edition fountain pen (mine was #37) handmade in Chennai, India by Mr. Lakshminarayan Subramanium. Probably handmade is not the word, handcrafted is the one. The pen came in a handmade wooden box with ASA branding. Inside was a red velvet pen sleeve and of course the pen. Unfortunately one side of the box wasn't pasted quite properly so it came off during shipping. It was quite an easy fix but what I liked was that Mr Subramanium offered to ship another box as a replacement free of charge to me. Seriously, give this guy a medal or something. I love the customer service provided by him. I contacted him over Whatsapp and he responded to every silly message of mine promptly.

36199062245_b8844f0251.jpg

36157965396_42edfc054b.jpg

36032063772_7f7bd4d9b4.jpg

Construction, Profile and Appearance (9/10): The profile is quite reminiscent of a boat (Nauka means boat in Hindi). It is an oversize pen which looks beautiful. The nib and clip are both gold plated but both had some small noticeable scratches, which is why I cut a point. But the construction is quite near perfect for me. The matted surface is expertly done and overall the build quality is great.

36157966666_27ea9092fc.jpg

36199063355_92c699f2f7.jpg

35807289050_9b92a38902.jpg

The Texture in a macro shot

36157967546_cff653448f.jpg

Filling System (10/10): My favorite filling system is a converter because it is so reliable and has less maintenance than other systems. The ease of filling and convenience cant be beaten. While this is a 3-in-1 system, which means a cartridge, the included converter or eyedropping will work for this pen. I would love to use it in eyedropper mode.

The nib (9.5/10): The heart of the pen is a #6 gold plated Jowo nib in medium. The nib looks quite standard with some basic scroll work and has the words Iridium Point Germany on it. The nib had some scratches on it. The nib is quite smooth on good paper with some feedback which I will smoothen out and the flow is perfect. The nib is a nice match for the big pen but I think a chrome nib would look fantastic on it.

35807288520_f526c1f9d9.jpg

36032065842_b423e1d19e_c.jpg

A writing sample with Camlin Scarlet Red ink.

35807289650_ecfde0e1b7.jpg

Price and Ease of Ordering (10/10): The price of this pen is worth each and every penny. I bought it at a 10% discount and the whole process was a long but a most cherishable one.

Conclusion: This pen has become my favorite along with my late TWSBI Eco and is a serious contender in the below 100 dollars range. I can recommend this to anyone who wants a quality handmade fountain pen. Go give it a try guys.

36157971146_3ebb90420e_b.jpg

I had to edit this. I was just touched by the respect Mr Subramanium gives his customers. I am almost 15 and he, throughout the whole process addressed me as 'sir' even after my refusal and acknowledgment of the same. Thanks for reading this review and I am Adit Sreesh Kamath now signing off..

Edited by Aditkamath26

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• prashant.tikekar

• bobje

• aswinparanji

Beyond the beauty of the pen, it's remarkable what elegant writing and photography you have created with it. Well-done review!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Beyond the beauty of the pen, it's remarkable what elegant writing and photography you have created with it. Well-done review!

Thanks a lot Bobje. I am almost 15 years old now and my mom is the person who has shaped my handwriting by giving me opinions on it even now. She scolded me when I was in kindergarten as my handwriting wasn't good.

Wonderful video! I love Minions! Hope you saw Despicable Me 3. It was great fun.

This was a very nice review of the pen as well. You have very nice writing. Well done! Keep at it!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Wonderful video! I love Minions! Hope you saw Despicable Me 3. It was great fun.

This was a very nice review of the pen as well. You have very nice writing. Well done! Keep at it!

Thanks Dr. I haven't unfortunately seen Despicable Me 3. Probably on Sunday.

Your video is awesome--and that pen!!

Thanks Lucy....those Nakayas on your profile pic are stunning.

Great review - and +10 for your beautiful handwriting. Well done, your mother!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Great review - and +10 for your beautiful handwriting. Well done, your mother!

Thank you very much!

Thanks for your review. :) I quite like the pen. :) But I love the ink. :wub:

Welcome Chrissy. The ink was quite a surprise find as I thought it had been discontinued until I saw a nice stock of them at a store in Kochi, Kerala. It is a great ink.

Dear Mr Subramanium,

What is the cost of this PEN and can you ship it to Chennai,India

Thanks

Aswin

ASA pens is located in Chennai so I think you are lucky enough to personally collect it if you wish.