Wing Sung 6359

vojtahlad

You can also find chinese made copies of lamy nibs in all sizes (EF, F, M, B, 1.1, 1.5, 1.9) for about $3 each these days. Quality is every bit as good as lamy's.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• sodul

• Honeybadgers

• vojtahlad

Where are you finding these, Honeybadgers? I think I have stumbled across them on eBay in the past but when I search for "Lamy Safari nibs" I get every Lamy Safari (or clone) that has a nib! Way too many results to browse.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 3 weeks later...

I've received a genuine 6359 today and it has the proper Wing Sung engraving on the body as well as the logo on the cap finial. The nib performance is much much better than the other pen I received and feels to be of much stronger quality.

Some things that disappointed me:

• it looks like the finish will attract scratches a lot, I already see some micro scratches on the body
  • the black plastic ring has rather prominent molding marks which I would not expect to be this prominent on 'external' parts, especially so close to the fingers.
  • the molding marks on the section's threads are even worse, but they are pretty good on the visible part of the section. I've applied silicone grease on the the threads to help with wear agains the metal over time.
  • the cap finial is not flush with the top of the cap but on a slight slant, nothing dramatic, but also something I should not notice.
  • the body's metal threads are sharp and have scratched the converter already
  • as already mentioned the ink window has not been punched as cleanly as it should have
  • the nib has a little bit more feedback and is a bit more noisy than I like. It does perform very well on delivery and I have not made any adjustment.

These are all minor complaints, I still think it is a very good pen but I have received pens with slightly better finishes for less money. At only $2.19 delivered, the main catch was that I could not pick the color. I received a nice silver one.

I have a few too many pens inked up right now so I will not use this pen much just yet, but I have a coworker who's Lamy broke in half recently. I'll see if he wants to try the Wing Sung 6359 for a while, but I'll smooth the nib a bit since he likes buttery smooth nibs.

I ordered what I thought would be the pen sodul describes and it matches to a T. It's more scratchy than the Wing Sung but a pretty nice pen for the $1.52 I paid. Of course I am not too happy that it is listed as one pen and you get another, but this seems par for the course with sellers in Hong Kong. Also seen on eBay is

Aluminum Alloy WING SUNG 6359 Fountain Pen

but the photos show all-plastic pens.

I would leave negative feedback except eBay says I already left feedback and cannot change it. I did not think I was THAT absent-minded. I just received the pen five hours ago. Did I really leave feedback and forget it?

Edited by bob_hayden

I would leave negative feedback except eBay says I already left feedback and cannot change it. I did not think I was THAT absent-minded. I just received the pen five hours ago. Did I really leave feedback and forget it?

You can always ask for a refund, attach a picture of the pen you received and explain how their pictures and the pen do not match. If you feel 'generous' you can always mention you only want a $0.53 refund instead of a full refund. If the seller does not respond after a few days then customer support will take care of you.

I still have not tried the actual 6359 but I've used the 'fake' one for a few days and the nib kept in springing and had to be pushed back agains the feed. The metal is just too soft. I might do an experiment to heat treat the soft nib to harden the steel. I'm expecting that the chrome plating will instantly peel off though and end up with a rust magnet type of nib.

I do have to admit that while the metal on the fake is not as sturdy on the body and cap, the finish looks better and looks sturdier than on the 6359.

I ordered the pen knowing it would be a fake so I do not feel entitled to a refund, but I would like to leave negative feedback and a comment that the pen is a fake so that others who have not read your post will not be fooled.

I tried the 6359 today and while it had a little too much feedback for my taste I smoothed the nib just a bit on my 6000 and 12000 pads it did not need any other adjustment and is quite smooth now, especially considering this is a EF nib. For the past couple of weeks I've been using a Jinhao 911 (metal flighter with hooded nib and spring loaded clip) that I got for $1.58 and while I'm very impressed with the 6359 I think that the 911 is a superior pen yet cost less. But we're not here to review the 911.

I think 4 dollars for it was a steal, I mean, those cost cents. Take a look on aliexpress, alibaba, they cost cents. I wonder how much a lamy really costs. 25 on retailing, then 12.5 for the distributor, lamy gets 6? :yikes:

• 1 month later...

My imitation 6359 continued to give good service so I ordered another. I was not so lucky this time. First, they said they were out of the color I wanted. Then I was sent a no-name plastic Safari clone. I am protesting.

The nib is so fine but the delivery to paper is excellent. It requires basically no pressure.

The downside is the build quality at the threads but otherwise the feel of the plastic at the section is pretty good

My imitation 6359 continued to give good service so I ordered another. I was not so lucky this time. First, they said they were out of the color I wanted. Then I was sent a no-name plastic Safari clone. I am protesting.

Don't buy the cheapest ones you find. Buy from a retailer you've purchased from before. I've bought six of these 6359's in various colors, all from the same retailer and every one has been smooth writing and well made.

Don't buy the cheapest ones you find. Buy from a retailer you've purchased from before. I've bought six of these 6359's in various colors, all from the same retailer and every one has been smooth writing and well made.

wait wait...so these ones that haven't got 'Wing Sung' on the barrel aren't actually the original 6359?? Are they very different from the 'original' Wing Sung?

In response to the last two posts...

sodul describes a pen that costs half as much as a real 6359 and did not like it. I ordered one just out of curiosity and DID like it. So, I was looking for the "fake" intentionally. And ordered a second intentionally. Read prior posts for details.

Yep I received a unbranded copy first and was unimpressed.

The main two technical problems on my fake, besides the cheap feel to the pen, are the fact that the cap posts poorly, and the nib keeps on bending away from the feed. I tried to use it for a few days at work and really got tired of pushing the nib back against the feed several times a day. If it had a nib with better metal, maybe the pen would be ok.

My real WingSung 6359 is still inked and I use it on a regular basis. As a mater of fact it has been my primary carry pen for the past couple of months.

Really look for the WingSung logo when you get your pen. On the 6359 the name is in roman characters on the barrel, and the company logo is on the cap finial. The only other marking is the nib size (EF) on the nib.

If anyone is interested I can post side by side pictures.

My unbranded one has been fine and it posts well. But my attempt to purchase a second suggests that anyone who will sell what I got as a 6359 would probably send a fake fake l-( Indeed, I am wondering if we got different fakes! Maybe a good rule of thumb is that if it costs under $2 it may or may not be a good pen, but it is not likely to be a real 6359.

I would encourage anyone who gets a fake and wanted the real thing to give negative feedback and or demand a refund. It's not worth the bother for $1.50 but it will help to provide these folks with a feedback rating that will protect others. Be sure to add a comment saying the pen was a fake.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice review.. photographs could have been bigger though...

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

The nib is so fine but the delivery to paper is excellent. It requires basically no pressure.

The downside is the build quality at the threads but otherwise the feel of the plastic at the section is pretty good

I would also add that the nib does up very quickly if not used for two or three days which I do find annoying. Otherwise, as I said, great pen.