Aurora Blue

visvamitra

Aurora inks come in three basic colors: blue, blue black and black. The bottle holds 45 ml of ink. Inks can be also bought in cartridges.

Aurora Blue is one of most recommended blue inks. I can see why as it's a problem free, low-maintenance ink. The thing is I find it mind-numbingly boring. So, even though it's a good ink, I don't use it. On the other hand if you enjoy such colors, Aurora Blue won't disappoint. It behaves well on most papers and offers excellent flow and wetness.

It's slightly better than Pelikan 4001 Blue but also 4 times more expensive (in Poland) - forced to use Royal Blue I would pick Pelikan or Waterman Florida Blue or, even better, J.Herbin Eclat de Saphire.

Ink Splash

fpn_1500791190__blue_aurora_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1500791202__blue_aurora_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1500791411__blue_aurora_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1500791469__blue_aurora_l_4.jpg

Discovery 70 mgsm copy paper, Aurora Ipsilon, factory stub

(The quote comes from Josiah Bancroft's excellent book Senlin Ascends. Highly recommended)

fpn_1500791503__blue_aurora_discovery.jp

fpn_1500791529__blue_aurora_discovery_2.

Leuchtturm1917, Aurora Ipsilon, factory stub

fpn_1500791549__blue_aurora_l_1.jpg

fpn_1500791575__blue_aurora_l_2.jpg

fpn_1500791587__blue_aurora_l_5.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1500791601__blue_aurora_h2o.jpg

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• visvamitra

• Nero

• The Good Captain

Interesting thanks, Vis, except I wish to associate myself with Aurora Blue while dissociating from mind-numbingly boring. :rolleyes: :)

I have recently been writing with both Aurora and Waterman blues (Florida / Serenity) and find on the same page that the Aurora is the slightly more distinct, darker. These two are my always-reliable blues, by the way. I love them both.

Nib can make a distinct difference for them as well. For what I consider a true blue I have the Visconti; others for variation. Éclat de Saphir was not in stock when I ordered, so it will be another day to compare that one.

X

I have few bottles of it some years old, and mine look darker.

Maybe I have used it in wet pens, or maybe the old formulation was different, I don't know.

I've never tried this blue. I am getting to where I am wanting more water resistance. I've heard a lot about this blue. (mostly good things) Now I'm not to sure I want to try it. I do have the blue black and the black too. I love both of them, but this blue isn't overwhelming me in a positive way color-wise.

Great review as always! It does seem to be a bit dull. I love very vibrant blues, particularly of the royal blue persuasion.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I am just really starting to get into the blues... very much appreciated!!

I am with you on the boring response. This bores me, in the same way that Waterman Serenity Blue bores me, especially once it has dried.

Thanks for the review. Aurora black is my go to black, the blue is a nice everyday blue that for me has been used to tone down an excessively wet nib. I've never been able to get a nice wet flow from it, so I don't use it much. My all time favorite is Aurora Blue-Black. Wet, well behaved and easy to clean up.

I've had it in three Vintage Parker Duofolds for a couple months now. No sac issues, like this stuff a lot.

I love this ink and it's permanently in one of my 88s. Great review, as always.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

My old bottle of Aurora blue also looks more violet than this review.

Thanks, Vis. This is one of (less than an handful of) my favourite blues. Your shot on the Discovery copy paper looks just like what I see when I write with it (on practically any paper). I don't see why you find it boring. Their blue-black is boring, IYAM. If anybody new here doesn't like their blue-black, they shouldn't shun from the blue, IMO.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great! (as D. T.) would say. Also anxious to hear what they (Aurora) whip out next?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks, Vis. This is one of (less than an handful of) my favourite blues. Your shot on the Discovery copy paper looks just like what I see when I write with it (on practically any paper). I don't see why you find it boring. Their blue-black is boring, IYAM. If anybody new here doesn't like their blue-black, they shouldn't shun from the blue, IMO.

Mike

What lapis said. Goes double for me.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.