In 1959, the Montblanc line was redisigned, 142, 144 and 146 are retired, instead Montblanc was offering:

Meisterstück:
12 (plastic, looked a bit like the Parker 45 and had a triangular capband)
14 (plastic, see above)
72 (with rolled gold cap)
74 (with rolled gold cap)
82 (with rolled gold cap and barrel)
84 (with rolled gold cap and barrel)
92 (in 14 carat solid gold cap and barrel)
94 (in 14 carat solid gold cap and barrel)

Medium range:
22 (with 14 ct gold nib and two cap rings)
24 (with 14 ct gold nib and two cap rings)

Economy:
32 (with 14 ct gold nib and one cap ring)
34 (with 14 ct gold nib and one cap ring)
31 (with steel nib)
32S (with steel nib, silver clip and cap ring)
34S (with steel nib, silver clip and cap ring)
31D (with "manifold" nib)
32P (cartridge filling system)
34P (cartridge filling system)

The Montblanc '34', first '3' stand for Economy Range, and the second '4' stand for large size, while '2' stand for standard size.

Here is how to disassemble the piston and nib for this series (12/14/22/24/32/34):

1. First step, unscrew the hood:

35726600865_4a4fa0ec77_o.jpg

2. Front and back shot of the nib&hood:

35726605665_dca1c59da4_k.jpg

35595145101_025e2cdc1e_k.jpg

3. Now disassemble the nib&hood, also the piston:

35595187801_ddc9e2433b_k.jpg

4. The section actually are made from 2 parts

35595149731_3711e35380_k.jpg

35726609695_a94498e0cb_k.jpg

34916818153_76698695fc_k.jpg

5. This is how the hood looks like:

34916832853_347eb10fac_k.jpg

6. Notice that the ink window can be disassembled, too:

35595141301_ca41b7e4d3_k.jpg

35595166121_66679e60cf_k.jpg

35595180351_b7a2ebfe36_k.jpg

7. Here is how the piston looks like, you need to heat the back end of the pen to pull it off:

34916822483_e0eee61703_k.jpg

35595171101_61197cc53c_k.jpg

8. This is a look at the beatiful14K Gold "Intarsia" :

35595157441_5ee839aa0b_k.jpg

9. Finally, you can find the 34/32/24/22/14/12 on the cap trim:

34916819783_e133ef5859_k.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhsd1124013561

• kpong11

• Chrissy

• Erik Dalton

Thanks for nice demonstration, however could you please give some tips to remove intrasia nib from the section?

Thanks for your post. The folks on the Montblanc forum would also like it, so, is there a chance that you could post this on the Montblanc sub-forum too?

Thank you.

Thanks for nice demonstration, however could you please give some tips to remove intrasia nib from the section?

I have heard multiple times from my friends that the Montblanc 32/34's plastic quality is not as good as 12/14 since the 3 series is economy line.

So please proceed with caution, you need to push the feed out, please be adviced that the nib will stay on.

Thanks for your post. The folks on the Montblanc forum would also like it, so, is there a chance that you could post this on the Montblanc sub-forum too?

Thank you.

Sure thing! I will add the Montblanc 22 to compare the differences and post a more detailed post :)

I have heard multiple times from my friends that the Montblanc 32/34's plastic quality is not as good as 12/14 since the 3 series is economy line.

So please proceed with caution, you need to push the feed out, please be adviced that the nib will stay on.

So the nib and feed are not fit together in clear plastic housing as in wing type?, btw many thanks for your caution.

So the nib and feed are not fit together in clear plastic housing as in wing type?, btw many thanks for your caution.

Not a problem :)

The butterfly (wing) nib, the nib can be fitted into the clear plastic feed housing, but 32/34, the nib cannot.

Great presentation. This will go in my archive of pen repair tips. I'm sure that I'm not alone. This pictorial will be kept by many. Thanks for all the work you put into it.

Great presentation. This will go in my archive of pen repair tips. I'm sure that I'm not alone. This pictorial will be kept by many. Thanks for all the work you put into it.

Thanks so much for the kind words :)

The Montblanc 12/14/22/24/32/34 series really fascinated me, I am writing a summary report for it and will present to Montblanc Forum this weekend :)

Excellent! How exactly do you take off the piston though? Do you unscrew it full and then yank it out, or keep it in the closed position and then pull?

Do you just pull after heating, or does it unscrew?

Thanks

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Excellent! How exactly do you take off the piston though? Do you unscrew it full and then yank it out, or keep it in the closed position and then pull?

Do you just pull after heating, or does it unscrew?

Thanks

I don't recommend fully unscrew the piston, I would only unscrew the piston only a little bit. I will explain this in my next post, keep tuned :P

Also, heat first.

Edited by jhsd1124013561

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.

I have finished the a post for the whole serie, you can find it in Montblanc forum now, hope the post will serve people well :)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/326283-a-thorough-report-on-montblanc-121422243234-series/?do=findComment&comment=3900844