Is This Even Possible !?

FordPrefect8

I just read the post about Iroshizuku inks, I had a quick look and Yes you guessed it, that infestation seems to be there as well. I know that some of these deals are kosher and are a great deal for the price BUT I would find it hard to believe they could obtain the ink, sell and post it for that sort of money. However, I often see Chinese traders selling their wares ans say to myself 'how do they do it at that price' or 'OK why at that price'? But I think you will have to agree this is so widespread and consistent that it at least doesn't look like it's trustworthy, I mean would you spend a lot of money with one of these sellers?

OK I think probably the best tool to overcome the problem could be to make sure as many people as possible are aware of the (possible) problem. If nobody or very few people buy things from these sources then maybe they will dissipate. After all no one can run on fresh air. That's if there's any left in china? Now there's a thought! Anybody want to buy a jar of English country air? Oh no I just remembered there's already a company doing that (for real!!).

Anybody here know a journalist who might get into this? Or maybe that's a bit strong until it's certain the problem is a real problem....

Naah, since when did journalists need a story to be true before they would print it?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Karmabim

• Flounder

• FordPrefect8

I dont know very much about this sort of thing but if these pens are delivered - I know its unlikely - would duty and Royal Mail charges be calculated on the value of the pen or what you have paid? and how would you prove what you have paid to HMRC?

Edited by smiffy20000

Having bought items from China and the USA in the past, I can tell you that Customs will assess the value if it's not written on the declaration and add VAT and then Duty to that value. Anything under £135 doesn't incur Duty but does incur VAT, items £135 - £630 duty is 2.5%.

These costs are always worth considering when buying from abroad sometimes it's still cheaper to buy from the UK or, at the moment, EU countries but of course that will change after Brexit to god knows what. Two cheers for Brexit EH?

I dont know very much about this sort of thing but if these pens are delivered - I know its unlikely - would duty and Royal Mail charges be calculated on the value of the pen or what you have paid? and how would you prove what you have paid to HMRC?

It's not unlikely. :) It's impossible. :( Either you would receive nothing or you might receive a cheap marker pen like some buyers have. In any case whatever you would receive won't be worth more than the £7.99 or £9.99 you will have paid. Fear not, they aren't sending out anything worth more than the £15 customs value limit, and they have to declare what's in the parcel and it's value. No worries about any Customs fees being added at all.

You have an Amazon payment email to prove what you paid. :)

I think I would plump for 'you would receive nothing'. Sadly once they have been paid they're off probably only to emerge again with another name soon after.

I just got an email from Amazon who, it seems, have escalated the situation for the attention of the UK Managing Director of the Amazon Seller Performance Escalations team.

The team are grateful for the input and invite us to share any more information, we find, with them. They promise to 'actively investigate the seller accounts that you have brought to Amazon's attention'. They go on to say they can't notify me of the outcome but I think I can probably work that out for myself.

However in the email it seems they sincere about their intentions to rid Amazon of rogue seller accounts. Let's hope so!

Meanwhile, we seem to have drifted away from the main purpose of FPN, that is fountain pens and the like. Maybe we should get back to some of that?

I just bought a Lamy Safari, I have noticed them around since day one and many times thought of buying one. Having a current shortage of pens to restore, I thought I would again practice my calligraphy skills (such as they are) hence the Lamy with a wide (1.9mm) nib.

I must say that so far I'm very happy with it. I got the transparent one, which is nice and it's nice to write with. I haven't decided yet whether I overdid it with the 1.9mm nib but they're not expensive and they're easy to change so it matters little.

I probably have plenty of pens in my collection I could have used but they only get used on special occasions and some not at all. Oh for a (not too expensive) music nib pen

Any other Lamy users out there? Probably a silly question.

Just a heads up but this is a scam. The seller lists as being from the USA, but says the item ships from China, they don't actually dispatch anything though, this allows a long delivery window - the money you paid Amazon clears into the sellers account after 14 days which is before the complaints can role in about items not arriving after 3 or 4 weeks wait. Amazon refund your money, close the shop. Lots of people got caught by this scam at Christmas of all times and there was a lot of "it's lost in the post" excuses given at the Christmas tree to little Tommy who didn't get his presents. Sorry guys! You'll get your money back from amazon though when it's all done and hopefully they can find a way to combat these pop up scam shops in future.

UK Managing Director of the Amazon Seller Performance Escalations team.

That's the least plausible thing I've read in this entire thread. Good grief.

I believe Amazon are treating this problem with some concern. Having spoken to and swapped emails I can see that they are seriously worried about the scale of the attack and need to do something about it. Weather you believe it or not they know there is a problem, it is increasing and they cannot just leave it alone.

CGTN is the International division of China's state broadcaster. You may consider writing to them as the issue of scams and fake merchandise does come up in the programs I see in China. It may not get much traction, but it's worth a shot.

https://www.cgtn.com/news/section.do?curPage=0&category=4

Edited by basterma

I agree, it would be a good idea. After my exchange of emails with Amazon, it seems they have a team working to compile a list of these traders. When I next contact them I will drop the information into their cooking pot.

As customers we don't have the same access as their I.T. department, I would think someone can probably query their accounts system to spit out a suitable list of the likely candidates to target. Whatever the scale of the problem they appear to have quite a task on their hands, first to eliminate the rogues and second to keep customers happy (or maybe that should be round the other way?).

I will be back in contact in a day or so to ask them what progress there has been, that's if they will tell me. I'll keep everyone posted.

Meanwhile, I have noticed that some legitimate pen sales are gradually being squeezed out of the listings by this plague, Maureen Juliet seems to be a strong contender today, Keep Clear.

Ok guys, I am in the same boat, this with a Homo Sapiens in Bronze.. £7.99 !!! Comming by 16th august... I have wrote them until now without any answer..

Just a heads up but this is a scam. The seller lists as being from the USA, but says the item ships from China, they don't actually dispatch anything though, this allows a long delivery window - the money you paid Amazon clears into the sellers account after 14 days which is before the complaints can role in about items not arriving after 3 or 4 weeks wait. Amazon refund your money, close the shop. Lots of people got caught by this scam at Christmas of all times and there was a lot of "it's lost in the post" excuses given at the Christmas tree to little Tommy who didn't get his presents. Sorry guys! You'll get your money back from amazon though when it's all done and hopefully they can find a way to combat these pop up scam shops in future.

I think so, but the experiment is worth the money and time..

I think so, but the experiment is worth the money and time..

Is it though? The scammer will have withdrawn the money from his Amazon account by then, and Amazon themselves will have to refund your money, as well as that of everyone else who bought the same or a similar item. That will mean they have to increase their prices to everyone. :(

On the other hand, they shouldn't let new sellers withdraw funds from their accounts before goods are received by their buyers. That would fix this problem. So to a degree they only have themselves to blame. :wacko:

Jeff has replied to me today.

You might want to ask him to check out a couple of new sellers:

Nicholette.Boss

Miranda Malan

the first has nearly 29,000 items for sale, and I'm pretty sure wasn't there this morning.

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

Jeff has replied to me today.

He didn't reply to me. :( I received a short message from 'Amazon Payments' on his behalf. Not even the name of a person on the email. :o However, the scammer I reported has gone, so I suppose that's something. :)

If anything, all those fake sellers made searching for good bargains extremely annoying, try filtering price ascending :angry:

... That will mean they have to increase their prices to everyone. :(

Very good point. I've noticed Amazon UK become less and less competitive on lots of things. I wonder if this is part of the reason.

There's quite a lot I won't buy on Amazon, in case it's fake. Razor blades, engine oil, memory sticks, and so on.

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I've bought very little on Amazon, mostly books (occasionally a used book will be cheaper there than on eBay, so I tend to check both, but I also check at places like my local Half-Price Books). I spend to little it's not worth me springing for Amazon Prime. The most I ever spent was last winter I needed new cartridges for the color laser printer, and the best deal was through Amazon -- and if I applied for an Amazon credit card I got a gift certificate which could be used immediately. And, IIRC, it was through an authorized 3rd Party provider. Came fast (the box sure said Amazon all over it ;)) and there was a way to send the spent cartridges back. But, as I said, it was an authorized provider.

The question I have about all those fake ads -- are they actually listed by Amazon as being authorized resellers? I've looked occasionally for pens but have never tried buying one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."