Favourite Fountain Pens?

CharlieAndrews

Changes daily, but model I have, the Aurora optima. Model I wish I had, Omas arco celluloid or visconti divina in brown. Can't decide between the two.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• mitto

• inkstainedruth

• CharlieAndrews

I've come to appreciate all my pens, however humble (...)

I'm the same. With a bit of attention and care any pen I stumble upon seems to become my favourite, just for different qualities. At the moment, it's all about Pelikans though :)

For me, I've found a Lamy 2000 hard to beat as a daily writer. So I guess it would qualify as my favorite. I love my Montblancs, but I use them more selectively.

I think of I had to pick only one favorite it would be my Sailor Pro Gear MF. But there are a bunch of runners up. It's about like answering the question "what is your favorite book?" For me the only response to that is "which genre, century, and language?" Pens don't divide into genres quite so easily, but I do think of them in several categories which makes naming a favorite difficult.

Yet another Sarah.

Fat pens. I like a variety of pens and nibs, but they all need girth. Currently it is all about MB 149's for me.

Since coming into the world of Fountain pens, I've wanted to get a Lamy 2000! I've heard nothing but great reviews about that pen! Should I take the plunge?

Yes. You may find it is the cheapest pen you buy. Had mine 3 or 4 years, it seems so close to perfect that I have no desire for more pens when I cannot imagine them measuring up. My main daily writer all the time, the only one that comes close is the Pelikan M600.

My favourite fountain pen that I own, well, that'd have to be my Platinum 3776. It's just dependable. The plastic isn't the best, and it has developed several wear spots on the barrel and cap from a hard life, but the fine nib is a pleasure to write with. 90% of my university work has been written with this pen.

My favourite pen that I have owned in the past is maybe easier. Pilot Custom 823 - I need another and the only thing that's put me off getting another is my loose theming of rhodium/silver accented pens only. There are, however, a few vintage pens (eep I really want another tortoise 400NN) that are drawing me away from this line of thinking.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

The binde on my 400NN tortoise has started coming off as well disintegrating. So I need at least another tortoise 400NN barrel. I like the 400NN and am very much worried about the binde issue of my pen. I Hope I find a solution to this issue.

Khan M. Ilyas

This is a hard one I'd have to say my pilot falcon in black and gold, and my Lamy 2k are my favorites.

I run on Caffeine, Sarcasm and inappropriate thoughts.

Parker Junior, looks to be 1960s. It's not pretty but just the perfect size and weight for my hand, and the italic nib is my favourite. I picked up a couple of Duofolds and other 60s Parkers to sell on eBay, as I kept finding them at car boot sales - and I inked them all up and wrote with them before selling, and every single one wrote as smoothly and beautifully as my little blue Junior. I just love the nib. Can't remember what it cost me but it will have been under £10.

Diplomat Excellence A - I have one with a fine gold nib, and another with a medium steel nib. Both are great writers, but I think I'll stick with the M steels.

Waterman Carene - If you like a medium nib make sure you order their fine point, it writes like a medium.

My home mades ;)

Interesting to note what pens have NOT appeared on the list - for example, the Waterman Edson, which was claimed to be the 'best' pen of all time. Personally I don't like it very much. On the other hand, my favourite has to be one of the Duofolds - would never be without one ... or three ... or six...

This is difficult. The clear favorite is the Parker 51 Demi with Aerometric filler. I own two, and they're just the right size for me and the right almost everything else.

After those, my standard-size 51s. Incidentally, I like Octanium nibs at least as well as gold nibs. There are those in the 51 fan community who believe that other things being equal, the Octanium nibs write better.

After 51s, the original Cross Century. My Montblanc 342 writes so pleasantly that I seldom use it: the writing experience tends to distract me from what I'm trying to write.

Another slim pen, the Aurora Hastil. Among acquisitions of the past few years I haven't ranked yet, a Parker 75 Flighter, an Aurora 88P, and a couple of UK Parker Duofolds.

My favourite pens are in no particular order

- Osmiroid M Italic nib

- Online Vision 0.8 stub

- FC Ondoro M nib

- Waterman school pen F gold nib

- Martemodena Chronicle F nib

- TWSBI Eco 1.1 stub

- Lamy Safari Aquamarine EF nib

- NOS Rotring piston gold plated F nib

And many more.....

Yes. You may find it is the cheapest pen you buy. Had mine 3 or 4 years, it seems so close to perfect that I have no desire for more pens when I cannot imagine them measuring up. My main daily writer all the time, the only one that comes close is the Pelikan M600.

Thanks for your advice!

I've found a new favourite! I recently acquired a Sailor Chalana, and I love writing with it. Most people don't like how slim it is, but I have more delicate hands, and a love for extra fine nibs. (Although good wet nibs are always nice)

Edison Pearl with a fine steel JoWo nib, currently filled with Diamine 1864 ink. Writing Nirvana. Just ordered another one today, a bulb-filler.

Waterman Carene

Lamy 2000

Pelikan

Piloto Prera ​​...

Edited by hachikomustang

@cafeterialibre1

I'm waiting on an Italix Parson's Essential (black, Italic F nib) and am sort of hoping that becomes my new favourite... (Although officially i can't play with it til my birthday next month, so I might not know for a while.... ) Will still love my Parker Junior, though...

I get much better prices on old pens and Eversharp/Yard O Led pencils at car boot sales, but still haven't stumbled on a 51. Somehow think it will happen eventually, though. Because I suspect I'd love a Parker 51.

What a great deal!

I guess it's a preference whether one likes the 51 or not, but to me, 51 is so timeless and never fades.

I wouldn't mind getting another 51...Brown and BBB will be super nice to have :D

I almost got a Cordovan Brown on eBay a few years ago. Had a nice rapport going with the seller, who had listed it on behalf of the original owner. I'd ask a question and the seller would find out from the woman who wanted it sold, and come back a day later with the answer.... And then I got sniped with seconds to go.... :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."