New Pen Day: F-C Pocket 66

Driften

Just got in the mail today a Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66! It looks so cool eyedroppered. I got it with the Masuyama medium stub. I have the #5 version of that nib and liked it. It does not have a lot of variation but it does write nice. Maybe next time I will get the broad stub. I found I did not care for the S.I.G. nibs and the ones I tried were not much sharper then the stub version in the same size, but would sometime catch paper on me. I think that is just me not the fault of the nib.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/F-CPocket66.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• Pendimonium

• rutherfordr

• Mister5

I didn't like the S.I.G nibs either, but I love their broad italics.

They have lots of variation, and they're not too wide!

Scientia potentia est.

I didn't like the S.I.G nibs either, but I love their broad italics.

They have lots of variation, and they're not too wide!

Thanks... I think I will get the broad with the antique glass model 02 when my name comes up. I expect that will be in about a month. I was closer to the bottom of the list as per F-C.

I have had the p66 less then a day but I am really like it. I like it better then my 45 XLV and about the same as my model 31. It is early and the new pen day has not worn off yet. All three are nice pens and in my top 5.

The medium stub is a great nib - one of my favorites. It's not so large that it can be a daily writer. I have the Pocket 20 in Needlepoint and it's also fantastic. Your demonstrator pocket 66 looks eyecatching with the blue ink. Is it a glittery ink or just the diffraction of the light?

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

The medium stub is a great nib - one of my favorites. It's not so large that it can be a daily writer. I have the Pocket 20 in Needlepoint and it's also fantastic. Your demonstrator pocket 66 looks eyecatching with the blue ink. Is it a glittery ink or just the diffraction of the light?

It got standard Pilot Iroshizuku kon-peki blue ink. It's refraction off the ice finish inside the pen that gives it the iridescent look. One thing for sure it screams to be picked up every time I see the ink. My amber colored 45 XLV has some of that look but the ice finish does it better.

The Kon-Peki is wet and dark with that nib. I might switch to its slightly lighter brother ama-iro and end up with the same color I get from the finer nibs.

Congrats on getting one of these. The shape is really intriguing. I only have a standard 66, which is large and comfortable, though not very much portable.

I recently got a M66 solid ice but was quite underwhelmed. The coke texture just doesn't do it for me. It's not much better than solid, other than I can see the color; and the white cap is kinda off-putting. It's an incoherent look, too opaque for my tastes. You can't see the nib very clearly and neither the ink level (at least with black). The coke bubbles are not that impressing looking. Wish they would put more resources in producing the antique glass versions. I've been waiting for 6 month and still no luck.

Anyway, rant end. I too like the SIG nibs quite a lot. Found them to be more usebable on most paper than the Masuyama nibs, which have more teeth and require less-common paper.

Congrats on getting one of these. The shape is really intriguing. I only have a standard 66, which is large and comfortable, though not very much portable.

I recently got a M66 solid ice but was quite underwhelmed. The coke texture just doesn't do it for me. It's not much better than solid, other than I can see the color; and the white cap is kinda off-putting. It's an incoherent look, too opaque for my tastes. You can't see the nib very clearly and neither the ink level (at least with black). The coke bubbles are not that impressing looking. Wish they would put more resources in producing the antique glass versions. I've been waiting for 6 month and still no luck.

Anyway, rant end. I too like the SIG nibs quite a lot. Found them to be more usebable on most paper than the Masuyama nibs, which have more teeth and require less-common paper.

I like the ice finish but don't like it on the cap. I wish the cap was smooth like the antique glass or even the colored one like the Amber 45 XLV I have. When drops of moisture or ink get inside the cap on the ice one you can't just wipe it out but have to wash it out. When on the smooth surface of the Amber it just wipes out. I can understand them wanting the frosted cap area to match the ice of the body but not as nice as if it was clear. I have no problem telling the ink level of the ink I have tried in it, but I don't use black.

FYI its the antique glass finish that is considered coke bottle with the slight greenish tint, the ice is just supposed to look like ice.

I got lucky and am on the waiting list months ago for the antique glass model 02, but it will be a few weeks still before I get it. The run sells out in hours after they send out a notice of it being available for pre-order.

Agreed, Driften. The ice pens seem to have too much going on. The white cap doesn't play well with the transparent top. It would work better if the whole pen had the cap's finish.

I was tempted to get a pocket 66 antique glass, which rolled out a few days ago. Limited to 50 pieces, I couldn't catch it if I wanted since I was in a meeting. Must have been half an hour till they were gone.

Agreed, Driften. The ice pens seem to have too much going on. The white cap doesn't play well with the transparent top. It would work better if the whole pen had the cap's finish.

I was tempted to get a pocket 66 antique glass, which rolled out a few days ago. Limited to 50 pieces, I couldn't catch it if I wanted since I was in a meeting. Must have been half an hour till they were gone.

By the time I opened the email they were gone that day as well, not that I had the money that day. I would really rather had the p66 in glass finish, but I like it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...