Waterman 58 Restoration

strelnikoff

I wonder though - how did anyone bought flexible 52 for an example. There's no markings on the nibs nor on the pens...

Do you need a advice ? ...

Test them ! ;)

To be a bit more serious, the shape of the nib can be a good way to see how the nib should write (long tines will have more flex than short ones).

Some Waterman nibs, on vintage #5 or #7 pens did have a mention of a color, refering to the way the nib will write.

Edited by Xof72000

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strelnikoff

• PAKMAN

• Sinistral1

• gregamckinney

Do you need a advice ? ...

Test them ! ;)

To be a bit more serious, the shape of the nib can be a good way to see how the nib should write (long tines will have more flex than short ones).

Some Waterman nibs, on vintage #5 or #7 pens did have a mention of a color, refering to the way the nib will write.

I have few Watermans (see photos at the beginning of this post), Wahl Eversharp's, Moore's (rare), Mabie Todd, Carter's pens with flexible nibs. Some are semi-flexible, some flexible to extra-flexible and some are super-flex and wet noodles.

Typically I can tell if some nib may have a potential to be flexile even before I try it. When I have a chance - I try to write with it - and that's a simple solution. But most of the time - I have to rely on photos only.

There are few things I look for in nibs - long tines being one of them, but also - if there is a side photo - thickness of the nib. Also - with #2 nibs (Waterman) near the tip of the nib there is a "ridge" or clear edge where nib thickness changes. Usually - but not always - sharper the edge/ridge - stiffer the nib and opposite.

However, this is not always the case.

So I agree with you - best bet is to try the pen (if possible) and see/feel.

#5 and #7 indeed have color code, but even that is not always absolute. Sometimes Pink nibs can be stiffer than some Red nibs. I've tried one Yellow nib and one Brown nib - which I'd define as extra-flexible. So again, best bet is - try it. Though, chances are that Pink nib is more flexible than average Red nib.

I was wondering about... people in 1920's for an example. None of the #2 nibs have any indication of flexibility, nor does any of the pens (markings). Like - you go to a pen shop and there's hundreds of 52's, brand new ones. How do you know which one is stiff and which one is flexible? So -people probably just tried them in the shop.

But - yesterday I saw a mint Waterman 52 - with label still attached, from 1929. And label said "Medium BK Soft". So, perhaps that was the only indication - paper label. You know when you buy it, but once the label is gone...

Congrats on the 58! Great pen! Danny Fudge has restored all my vintage Waterman's!

I've contacted Danny, waiting for his reply.

I've found one issue on my 58 - the section is a bit... well, not circular, but warped a bit. As if there was some adjustment done long ago to fit the feed/nib better to the section ID.

Thus - when I had my pen re-sacked and started to write - it was writing wonderfully smooth (manifold nib, no flex) but soon I got a blob of ink on the paper. So - there's some extra ink flowing somewhere.

Also - the section can rotate in the barrel. Not loose, it's tight enough, but it can still rotate a bit.

So we'll see what Danny says.

Wow, that's a beauty! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks!

I do ! It writes wonderfully (for a manifold). It's really impressive pen!