Reviving My Old Fountain Pen

RebeccaEspinosa

Hi there. I'm new so please bear with me. I have a pelikan pen. No idea what style. I can't find info on it..

I have not used it in 30+ years. I was ctrying to remove the stuck nib. Didnt know i should soak it first. I removed the gold nib, the rubber/plastic bit under it... But the housing is still in the pen!!! Help!! I've been soaking it firvthree days now to release all dried ink. I am pretty sure i used water soluble ink as i stillv have the bottle. Suggestions?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RebeccaEspinosa

• Sandy1

• mallymal1

• MarcinEck

I'm trying to upload a file from.my phone but they are all too big. I'll upload one later from my computer...

Edited by RebeccaEspinosa

Very wise of you to admit that you don't know.

Next time, research BEFORE you start pulling things apart.

I can't begin to suggest procedure, as I have no idea which model Pelikan you have.

To start - - - Do you remember how it fills with ink ? How long is the capped pen ? (measure)

I hope you haven't broken a $300 fountain pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

It fills ink with an adjustable auto fill. Dip pen in ink and rotate the top of pen to pressure fill the barrell. The pen does not pull apart that i can tell.

It fills ink with an adjustable auto fill. Dip pen in ink and rotate the top of pen to pressure fill the barrell. The pen does not pull apart that i can tell.

:W2FPN:

Hi,

This post may be of some help. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247577-removing-dry-ink-from-pelikan-800/?p=2702656

Patience is the watchword.

Please do not let your pen dry-out during the clean-up process.

From what I've read, there is no reason to lurch forward to the use of Rapido-Eze or other chemicals stronger than water. (I prefer to do the most with the least interference.)

Should you get to a happy place (fingers crossed) I suggest loading the pen with a 'cleansing ink' https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/251595-best-ink-to-use-in-between-high-maintenance-inks-something-lubricating/?p=2762032

Let us know how it goes.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

This is my pen.

Don't know it's style

And my nib separated from housing problem.

Help!!!

post-137862-0-84064100-1500391982_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Well OK...

Let me put it this way, I'm glad you posted in the Repair Forum.

I certainly hope other Members will help you navigate, because I'm pretty much at a loss. One of those times that one would want to have the pen in hand to see what's what, no matter how good the photos. BUT I will ask if you could post some close-up photos of the top side of the nib/s, which could help ID the pen. (With interchangeable nibs, I'd make a wild guess its an Osmiroid, but what do I know.)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi there...

Oh that's a familiar name. Osmiroid...

yes it has three interchangeable nibs.

I really didn't work that hard twisting the nib when the nib and feed separated from the housing.

But I've taken your advice and my pen is remaining wet. Until I get this figured out.

I can hardly imagine I'm the first person to have this problem.

Thanks so much.

I'll post new pics. Close ups.

Rebecca

The pen tips say pelican. That's why I thought it was a pelican pen. I'll post better pics later thx

Yes i think you are quite right. Thanks. Now just need to figure out how to fix it!!

I've repaired the piston on quite a few of these pens, which is totally different than anything that Pelikan made. I would assume that replacing the nib collar is a matter of machining a new one out of Delrin. Having a good one to copy is always useful. Not something for the amateur to try themselves without a lathe.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

How would you get the old collar out ofcthe barrel? Does the nib and feed get glued or tightly positioned back into the collar?

Now that you have soaked the pen, have you tried inserting the nib and feed back into the collar, and trying to unscrew it?

This must be so frustrating. Let's see if someone can come up with a good solution.

The key to good pen repair is patience. :)