Opinion: A Pen That Sums Up Japanese Pens?

GranTorino25

Anyone looking for Japanese pens should check out engeika ebay and type in PILOT. pens if you cant find something you want on there I would be very much mistaken,after you've looked at the pilots check out some of the others. There is a large choice of pens by many different makers on this site and all are well priced take your time and enjoy the experience,Trust Me, Oneill

Edited by oneill

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• GranTorino25

• oneill

• Bluey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for around your budget, the Platinum 3776 Century, is probably your best bet, the nib is very nice and you will not be disappoined.

(the platinum 3776 chartres blue is also a very appealing colour/finish)

fpn_1512422797__platinum_century_chartle

when you can extend the budget, perhaps for future purchase, do list the Sailor professional gear and the Pilot custom 823

for around your budget, the Platinum 3776 Century, is probably your best bet, the nib is very nice and you will not be disappoined.

when you can extend the budget, perhaps for future purchase, do list the Sailor professional gear and the Pilot custom 823

That's a beautiful picture and reminds me that I kind of always wanted a Platinum pen.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

some say Platinum came first with the Pocket Pen form factor

Who knows?

But they ain't as nice as the Pilot Elites.

IMHO...

They fit my hand like a glove.

The plastic on them doesn't feel hard like the plastic on a custom 74 or 3776.

The shape is excellent...

It's fairly thin, but the section is so dang long that it's comfy.

The nib is wonderful, and has a certain cushion to it that I have not felt in any other pen I have used, (except for the 149.)

I'd highly recommend getting one...

Whether it be vintage or modern.

EDIT: Misspells fixed.

Edited by AL01

• 2 months later...

I must confess that I have a very distinct LIKING for the ELITE which makes a great Ladies Pen I have three of those and I'm a Bloke!!! Oneill

I think this essentially boils down to how you define a Japanese pen. Is it the nib? the body? the innovation? the quirkiness? I don't think there is a single pen that encapsulate all Japanese pens

I think this essentially boils down to how you define a Japanese pen. Is it the nib? the body? the innovation? the quirkiness? I don't think there is a single pen that encapsulate all Japanese pens

Only one thing defines a Japanese pen: Urushi.

> Only one thing defines a Japanese pen: Urushi.

:huh:

Many Japanese pens are not Urushi-coated. Actually most of them are not.

And I know non-Japanese makers who use Urushi too; just want to mention Pelikan, ManuPropria, Taccia.

> Only one thing defines a Japanese pen: Urushi.

:huh:

Many Japanese pens are not Urushi-coated. Actually most of them are not.

And I know non-Japanese makers who use Urushi too; just want to mention Pelikan, ManuPropria, Taccia.

Details... never let facts get in the way of a good story. If we want to talk about shared technologies, pens globally are then homogeneous and this topic becomes moot. At least Urushi trees only grow in Asia. Good and bad nibs and precious resin, even ebonite, is produced all over the world.

If you say Urushi is all there is to Japanese pens, I think you are doing a disservice to Japanese pens tbh. What you are saying is that Urushi is the only differentiating factor for Japanese pens. Therefore, it is fair to draw the assumption that people only buy Japanese pens if they are Urushi pens. However, in reality, Pilot, Platinum and Sailor sold plenty of fountain pens which are not coated in Urushi.

Which nib width is that? I just went to a store with a full display of different nib widths. They are amazing, from SF to C I would say.

Sorry, it actually shows in your pic :P

Edited by MuddyWaters

If you say Urushi is all there is to Japanese pens, I think you are doing a disservice to Japanese pens tbh. What you are saying is that Urushi is the only differentiating factor for Japanese pens. Therefore, it is fair to draw the assumption that people only buy Japanese pens if they are Urushi pens. However, in reality, Pilot, Platinum and Sailor sold plenty of fountain pens which are not coated in Urushi.

All kinds of pens come from all kinds of countries. Plenty of Japanese (and non-Japanese) pens here:

41821823222_aa0209ddd8_h.jpg

But if the question is about what might someone think of when asked about a Japanese pen one (a Westerner) may imagine something more like this:

27995869358_9234a5f6f7_b.jpg

Nothing wrong with black and gold cigar shaped pens, in fact most Japanese renditions are fantastic as are many Western renditions, but my immediate thought is not "Japanese pen". When I see an Urushi/Maki-e torpedo shaped pen I immediately think "Japanese pen".

Edited by Tseg

While I agree that most people attributed Japanese pens to Nakaya or the Sailor King of Pens Urushi, I think they exemplify Japanese pen more than summarize them. What I mean by this is that the Urushi/Maki-e pen are the archetype for Japanese pens and they do have many attributes of Japanese pens, they do not have all of them.

• 1 month later...

Who knows?

But they ain't as nice as the Pilot Elites.

IMHO...

I could not agree More, I am lucky to have three Elites which I love because of their size,I would say they were made for Ladies because of their small size and practical design. Oneill

I enjoyed my Pilot Elite.

But I think I can do better.

So, err....

I guess I am now looking for an even MOAR Japanese pen?!

:rolleyes: