Costco Selling Real Or Fax Montblanc Starwalker

Magoo52

Hello everyone. I am new to the form, but a long time pen lover. Recently I was at Costco and saw a MB Starwalker RB for $180!! I decided to give it a shot, and hold onto it while I investigate further. So here is what I have.

1) Serial number is on ring, and begins with MBF

2) Under the clip is says "Made in Germany

3) No PIX to be found on the clip

4) The metal ring towards the bottom (where your finger rests) is slightly loose and wiggles. This is what got me thinking about possible fake

Please let me know any input you have, as I would like to confirm it's authenticity or if it's an imposter. I don't think I can get it validated in time by MB to stay within the Costco return policy if they would come back and say its fake.

Thank you.

post-137771-0-67309700-1499889352.jpg

post-137771-0-02183500-1499889366.jpg

post-137771-0-02347100-1499889375.jpg

post-137771-0-82222100-1499889384.jpg

post-137771-0-22680900-1499889394.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emt1581

• Mulrich

• Magoo52

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Costco is known for carrying gray-market pens and watches.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Costco is known for carrying gray-market pens and watches.

They do not show as an AD on MB's site which is concerning. They seem to have a stock of these pens.

Edited by Magoo52

I should also note, it came in a well constructed box, with a full manual. The box seems to be legitimate.

My understanding is MB and Costco are wrangling over Costco selling MB (MB not being happy about it), but that info is "saw it on the innernut"... I suspect yours is real but MB isn't going to jump through hoops for Costco customers.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Costco goods should be fine for genuinity.

Like several other luxury brands they're known to occasionally carry, they are not an AD so the mainstream boutique of the brands will disavow all knowledge of your existence.

Costco backs their goods with their own warranty... if it's bad or even if you're just unhappy, simply return it to Costco for full refund.

My understanding is MB and Costco are wrangling over Costco selling MB (MB not being happy about it), but that info is "saw it on the innernut"... I suspect yours is real but MB isn't going to jump through hoops for Costco customers.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the wiggle on the metal ring (where finger rests) is something to be expected or would you consider that a defect. I suppose if it is, I should swap out at Costco since Mb isn't going to help any.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the wiggle on the metal ring (where finger rests) is something to be expected or would you consider that a defect. I suppose if it is, I should swap out at Costco since Mb isn't going to help any.

I would consider that a defect and exchange the pen. :huh:

If you want to be 100% sure take it to a MB boutique and ask them to authenticate it.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Yes, I would consider that a defect. You should take it back to Costco and exchange it for a good one.

It's your quickest route to a free fix.

The pen will almost certainly be genuine, but a grey market pen, so you won't get the free one year MB benefits/warranty/etc.

It should still be eligible for MB services, at standard cost.

Good luck.

Iirc, the Hemingway was originally so unpopular that it was sold at Costco for $300.

...how times have changed.

It'd be nice to find a NOS Hemingway in some Costco stock clearance bin.

Yes, I would consider that a defect. You should take it back to Costco and exchange it for a good one.

It's your quickest route to a free fix.

The pen will almost certainly be genuine, but a grey market pen, so you won't get the free one year MB benefits/warranty/etc.

It should still be eligible for MB services, at standard cost.

Good luck.

Thank you. I appreciate the input. I'all go back tomorrow and do that. To be honest, even if the wiggle happens to remain, the pen looks and writes excellent, so I'd still consider it a deal for what I paid.

This particular Starwalker---and I'm speaking from personal experience---has to be treated with care. It's quite fragile.

This particular Starwalker---and I'm speaking from personal experience---has to be treated with care. It's quite fragile.

Thank you for your comment. From the feel, you can tell it wouldn't hold up to abuse up for sure.

Thank you for your comment. From the feel, you can tell it wouldn't hold up to abuse up for sure.

The resin on this pen cracked where the thread meets the barrel.

I have had this exact MB SW ballpoint for years, purchased from an AD. It is exactly the same as the one I purchased a few months ago from my local Costco. The only difference is the one from my AD has the warranty stamped by the AD from the time of purchase. Never had any issues with the pen and I have dropped it on the carpeted floor of my office many many times. Frankly, I would rather have the Costco warranty backing the pen as the one from Montblanc is very limited. Costco's warranty on all their products is what keeps most Costco members happy.

I agree that they can be grey market as others have mentioned, however, their warranty on their products is second to none. I try to use them for all my major household and personal purchases. Montblanc + Costco = best of both worlds in my book. If I could purchase all my Montblanc pens at Costco, I would be happy to do so. The only model MB I have ever seen there is this one written about in this thread: Montblanc StarWalker Midnight Black ballpoint.

Edited by 888007888

I have had this exact MB SW ballpoint for years, purchased from an AD. It is exactly the same as the one I purchased a few months ago from my local Costco. The only difference is the one from my AD has the warranty stamped by the AD from the time of purchase. Never had any issues with the pen and I have dropped it on the carpeted floor of my office many many times. Frankly, I would rather have the Costco warranty backing the pen as the one from Montblanc is very limited. Costco's warranty on all their products is what keeps most Costco members happy.

I had the same pen but it didn't hold up as well when dropped on a hard surface. My baby daughter grabbed it from my pocket and gingerly tossed it towards the ground and the front section basically shattered and had to visit MB for repair. Still one of my favorite pens though and probably my most used of all time. The twist mechanism is great.

Hello everyone. I am new to the form, but a long time pen lover. Recently I was at Costco and saw a MB Starwalker RB for $180!! I decided to give it a shot, and hold onto it while I investigate further. So here is what I have.

If I'm not mistaken if your Starwalker is the clicky retractable, you've got the Ballpoint.

Their RollerBall Starwalker has a spin-on cap, similar to the FP.