What is this and what do I do with it?

Ron Z

The picture below is of a couple of parts for a project that will make the folks at MT jealous. Any guesses?? If I've told you what I'm up to (as if I would remember) don't spill the beans and spoil the fun!

Hints:

1] My wife does the baking in the family. She does such a good job that I can't even begin to compete (and having been a bachelor, I can bake!)

2] We do not have a pet, though we did catch Aaron feeding Tyler under the table before he started walking.....

spacer.png

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Johnny Appleseed

• Ink Stained Wretch

• Catsmelt

Excuse me, I guess I should formally answer your question:

This is a "bath"

You will bake a pudding, then eat it...

nah, this is a steam saver for the babbage webinterfacegizmo. the steam hose is placed in the small pet bowl and it condenses and overflows into the larger cake pan. an ear suction thingy is attached to the large bowl bottom sucking up the water into the steam engine. an environmentally friendly invention. congratulations ron!!

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

whoops, i left out the hose attached to the ear suction thingy to suck up the water into the steam engine.

Edited by aunt rebecca

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

You have heard of bed pans, obviously, this is a pair of chair pans.

I can tell, as they are on a chair!

I sure hope there is a prize for the right answer!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Ok, I get that this is a cake dish and a dog bowl. I think that you might be trying to throw us a curve here though. Knowing that you also dabble in the photographic light tent biz, these look to me like the beginnings of a ring light.

The MT thing is what really made me think outside the box here. If you had left the lads over on the right side of the pond out of it, I might not have gone away from pen implements.

Let me know if I got this one, and I think this is #5. I think that I have gotten at least 3 of them.

Cheers,

SG

PenRx is no longer in business.

Ok, I get that this is a cake dish and a dog bowl. I think that you might be trying to throw us a curve here though. Knowing that you also dabble in the photographic light tent biz, these look to me like the beginnings of a ring light.

The MT thing is what really made me think outside the box here. If you had left the lads over on the right side of the pond out of it, I might not have gone away from pen implements.

Let me know if I got this one, and I think this is #5. I think that I have gotten at least 3 of them.

Cheers,

SG

Nope! :P Not even close. Though the light ring's an idea!

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

An O-ring mold for a giant-size Sheaffer?

Keep something cold or hot so that it won't set, or to set it quick?

An ice cream maker?

A really big boilermaker? I'm not sure how it would compare with sloe gin though.

I would say a replica of a Parker 51 Centrifuge, but you already have the salad spinner - or do you just have to have the moterized version?

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Hmmmm........an improvised ban marie for....custard, perhaps? :drool:

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

Are you creating a pitty-patty pate' perhaps?

Elizabeth

Spring and love arrived on a bird's sweet song. "How does that little box sound like birds and laughter?" I asked the gypsy violinist. He leaned back, pointing to his violin. "Look inside, you'll see the birdies sing to me" soft laughter in his voice. "I hear them, I can almost see them!", I shouted as his bow danced on the strings. "Ah yes" he said, "your heart is a violin." Shony Alex Braun

As it began for Shony, it began for me. My heart -- My violin

Johnny Appleseed said:
A really big boilermaker? I'm not sure how it would compare with sloe gin though.

I would say a replica of a Parker 51 Centrifuge, but you already have the salad spinner - or do you just have to have the moterized version?

John

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner - You got it in one! The salad spinner centrifuge won't hold up to all the use it gets in my shop (I'll still take it to shows though). A motorized version will last longer, and is easier and faster to use. I've been lusting after one since I saw Richards' at the DC show nearly two years ago. I noted how it was made, and have had my eyes open for "stuff" with which to make one since then.

Remember that the idea with these "what is it" posts is to get you to look at ordinary objects in a different way, and to apply them to pen repair. The original picture is exactly how I first saw these two parts - a stainless dog bowl and an aluminum cake pan (though in all fairness, we were rather dense in thinking about where to find the cake pan that big).

Here are two views of the final product:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The dog bowl is the base, the cake pan the pan for the centrifuge itself. The motor is from a fan that fell and broke, the pen holder is a 45/51 desk base trumpet, the power cord is one that I saved from an old iron. I machined the piece that holds the rod on the motor shaft. The wall of the cake pan gets lined with blotter paper (not shown in the picture) to soak up the ink as it comes out of the pen, so I don't have to clean it up.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

.... The motor is from a fan that fell and broke ....

Be a little careful with that part. Fan motors are made to run hot because 1) they're cheaper to buid that way, and 2) since they'll be running fan blades it won't matter if they run a bit hot anyway because they'll be cooling themselves. Unfortunately, I've found that sometimes they run quite hot and can cause problems or even burn out fairly soon when used for other purposes.

But congratulations on your centrifuge.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

.... The motor is from a fan that fell and broke ....

Be a little careful with that part. Fan motors are made to run hot because 1) they're cheaper to buid that way, and 2) since they'll be running fan blades it won't matter if they run a bit hot anyway because they'll be cooling themselves. Unfortunately, I've found that sometimes they run quite hot and can cause problems or even burn out fairly soon when used for other purposes.

But congratulations on your centrifuge.

I don't think that intermittent runs of 10 seconds will be a problem. ;) The original Parker unit used what is essentially a fan motor from a bathroom fan.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Outstanding!

And to think the hardest part to obtain was the cake pan (you'll be paying for quite some time :ltcapd: )

Does it require a counter balance & is that pan about 14"?

Buzz

so many pens, so little time.......

Outstanding!

And to think the hardest part to obtain was the cake pan (you'll be paying for quite some time :ltcapd: )

Does it require a counter balance & is that pan about 14"?

Buzz

The pan is 12". The hook on the end of the rod acts as a counter balance (I trimmed it a bit at a time until it ran smoothly). On a heavy pen, the cap can be slipped over the hook while the pen goes in the other end.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

"The hook on the end of the rod acts as a counter balance (I trimmed it a bit at a time until it ran smoothly). On a heavy pen, the cap can be slipped over the hook while the pen goes in the other end."

Simple, hard to screw up, home made and elegant - the best kind of tools.

Buzz

so many pens, so little time.......

I don't think that intermittent runs of 10 seconds will be a problem. ;) The original Parker unit used what is essentially a fan motor from a bathroom fan.

Oh :embarrassed_smile: .

Yeah, a 10 second duty cycle shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking "centrifuge" and remembering getting some things done that took a long while. Ah well, I'm getting old.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 2 weeks later...

So, this may be an obvious newbie question...

Is the purpose to 'spin out' old ink?

"All my life I've been over the top; I don't know what I'm doin' all I know is I don' wanna stop"--Ozzy