thepocketart

For something like four bucks, why not try a Platinum Preppy 02/extra-fine? It might not be quite as fine as you need but sometimes a thicker line comes in handy.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thepocketart

• Sandy1

• AmandaW

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

RE: Paper

Kindly consider photographic printer paper, (not the wet-process light sensitive silver halide enlarging paper. It is designed to accept dye and keep dot size as intended: less gain than watercolour paper. The Canson product line should serve as a primer.

We have a Photo Forum, so denizens of that Forum should be of more help than yours truly, whose camera is a Rollei 35 that lives in a ski boot.

Bye,

S1

No lie kinda like that camera - I stay digital but that's a camera I've eyed for a while.

I'll definitely consider the different types of paper here - I went straight to the canson website and I like what I see there. I like paper with a texture, a sort of challenge but complimentary touch to what I do on it.

AJP

For something like four bucks, why not try a Platinum Preppy 02/extra-fine? It might not be quite as fine as you need but sometimes a thicker line comes in handy.

Ah yeah see I actually looked at that pen ... unfortunately I'm not one to use this specific pen to draw a line. I only need a very fine dot. The process of stippling an artwork is to only use dots ... not lines at all. I have other pens that can produce lines I am happy with and sometimes I'll switch to pencil for the finest line. I don't mind. But for my dots I must use ink and so the search for the finest nib began.

Someone hinted, then another - I think the ECO TWSBI rendered by a grinder to find the sharpest tip possible is what I'm going through with thus far. I might add onto the shopping list but the grinder is already working on it and I have yet to find a second pen that rivals this order in process.

Thank you for the tip though - you're opinion in addition to the great reviews has me even more interested in what that pen could potentially bring to my studio.

AJP

You have a winner already? :) You people have been busy while we sleep down here. Enjoy.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Might I suggest you look at Greg Minuskin's site? He makes a speciality of modifying nibs to needlepoints. They usually have some flex quality as well but it may not matter if you're just using the tip. They're mostly Skylines, so they're easy on the eyes, too.

BTW, my sister uses Koh-I-Noor technical pens with tungsten and ruby .018 nibs. You can still find them on eBay. She speaks often of the decline of Bristol paper but she's set in her ways.

I wanted to formally thank everyone in this thread that has chimed into my conquest - I am expecting my new pen in the mail today, ink for the pen should come next week.

I chose a Twsbi Eco, and had the nib grinder customize the pen. As far as his video goes for the nibs performance I see that this pen literally fits all my needs. My worry was that this nib for this pen is not very universal ... smaller than a 5 jowo if I'm not mistaken which puzzles me because no 2 threads have agreed on the actual size of this nib and goulet says the nib is a jowo 4 ... some people don't even know that exists so ... interesting. This may limit my ability to eventually build my own housing and create my own custom pen with it's own name and purpose but that's fine. This is a good pen to start with. I will be testing it as soon as it comes and the ink is available so things should be cool.

I'll post pictures here and even start a couple new threads with all the key words I used before I knew exactly how to ask my question. I'll discuss the paper, the ink, the nib, the grinder, the angle at which one should draw when using this type of pen and I'll even sample the lines although I know for a fact that this nib is (in regards to lines) going to be the scratchiest little guy anyone has ever wielded onto paper lol

Again, thank you - I've noted all your help and I can't wait to share with you what I draw !!!

IG : ThePocketArt

or ThePointillist

different account, same posts, same thing.

AJP

By the way, if you are stippling rather than line-drawing, you can usually get a much finer dot by turning the pen over so that the nib is upside down. The top of the tip usually writes much finer than the bottom.

ron

Hi, pocketartist. I went to an exhibition at the Ashmolean in Oxford this year, and saw some of Seurat's early sketches that showed him developing his pointilist techniques using pencil dots. The exhibition featured mostly sketches and drawings from Paris which traced the development of Modernism. It was rather interesting.

One last thing. Send your ink to the nibmeister and tune it to that ink if that is the only ink you are going to use.

Look stunning and you will find fade, water, bleach, etc. tests on many inks.

Peace and Understanding

• 5 weeks later...

By the way, if you are stippling rather than line-drawing, you can usually get a much finer dot by turning the pen over so that the nib is upside down. The top of the tip usually writes much finer than the bottom.

ron

Thank you so much - I actually tried this and it does help a lot

AJP

Hi, pocketartist. I went to an exhibition at the Ashmolean in Oxford this year, and saw some of Seurat's early sketches that showed him developing his pointilist techniques using pencil dots. The exhibition featured mostly sketches and drawings from Paris which traced the development of Modernism. It was rather interesting.

Love that work a lot - I had started stippling not knowing much about pointillism nor of Seurat. It carried on from there out and I couldn't stop. Truly a meditative practice - keeps me at peace.

AJP

One last thing. Send your ink to the nibmeister and tune it to that ink if that is the only ink you are going to use.

Look stunning and you will find fade, water, bleach, etc. tests on many inks.

Yes ! I should have thought of this - upon grabbing my fist rendered pen I found different inks hold different relationships with the pen. I am after the dryer inks and the finest tip .. a combination so dry and scratchy it'd make even the least invested collector and enthusiast cringe. This is great insight thank you very much !

AJP

To everyone who had contributed and may look back at this post, I want to share with you my discoveries...

WARNING ... this is the scratchiest, sharpest *ouch*, super dry combo. I mean ... this is a commitment now.

• Eco Twsbi (Demonstrator) ground down to stipple stipple stipple

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWnO2qThcPt/?taken-by=nibgrinder

Unfortunately I cannot share pictures of the actual stipple work I am producing yet ......

:( I can't release anything from the new collection for a while. I can let you know what inks I have been using and what pens I am going to be using though !!! :D

So far I have done incredible work with:

• Noodlers 54th Mass. (Blue-Black) in this case blue .. because I am stippling and it would take layers upon layers to find a true relative to black.

I will be introducing to the work:

• Noodlers Bad Blue Heron and Upper Ganges recently restocked at Goulet's (I'm a Blue-Junkie)
  • MB149 is going to be rendered
  • Deciding on a third pen to be engraved with a very special name (Christoph maybe?)

Another pen for more variety in dot size (gold brings that flex)

. . . and to have another pen that holds another ink.

. . . two or three is more helpful than one. I switch around a drawing constantly.

and I fell in love with the idea of a pre-owned 149 (my father's style). He would be proud.

Okay, Okay ... I most definitely wont need a pen for each ink although I have to say, I really want my hands on some amazing pens out there - Aside from my conquest to find an ultimate stippling tool it seems I have found a passion and love for the craft and nature of fountain pens as a whole. I talk about them to people like it's Disney Land. The pens, the Network ... and everyone involved collecting, selling, vlogging and blogging .... if only I could have made it to the DC show to meet some of these incredible people.

Anyways ... I'll be posting a completed picture soon enough. Hopefully I don't forget. I just feel like I owe it to share with the thread and the vlogs what it is that ya'll have done for me. If anything I left my tags and website all over the place if you follow or email me or subscribe then I guess you'll see it if not here.

The pens out there ... I could just watch reviews and scroll through the options all day.

Who could resist? :P

To all of you - Thanks, Love and Peace

... you have helped me a great deal.

AJP

I know that you have already decided on a solution and have been trying the modified nibs.

But it sounds like you are after a few pens for different inks etc. So here'a suggestion. I have looked for super pointy nib for a fountain pen as well in the past and couldn't find anything suitable, so what I did was put a dip pen into a fountain pen! Of course since it is a dip pen nib it will rust so you need to keep that in mind. But these nibs are pretty inexpensive and disposable so I am pretty happy with my solution. I have used TWSBI Vac700 for my pen part in this photo, using a vintage Manga G type nib. I also use a Desiderata Pen with the same vintage nib (I have a whole box of the same nib) and these pens can use the modern Zebra G nibs too. And these nibs have nice pointy point. These pens are around the US$60-70 range from memory.

I hope this helps.

29815033080_c6fb580963_b.jpg

29482203823_fc09dcc6a8_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am finally posting the art from all our hard work on this thread - all of your suggestions from paper to pen to posture to ink everything everything everything - I read over all your comments time and time again to get the results ....

Now, I used to venture into anatomy ... there has been a turn in events here. No anatomy at all, at least not yet. This is the first work for my new series Transitions in Fantasy

www.thepocketart.com/sneakpreviews

AJP

Should have known Snak would get there first. I know you went to a great deal of trouble for these fountain pens, and it sounds like they’re working for you. That’s great. If you every look for the finest line, then you can’t beat dip nibs, like some of the amazingly fine mapping nibs. Even a “medium” dip like the Zebra Snak uses is finer than any xxf fountain pen nib. You have to dip, unless you can find a way to put it in a fountain pen, but then your ink choices expand as ones like sumi inks and gouache which can’t be used in fountain pens.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Should have known Snak would get there first. I know you went to a great deal of trouble for these fountain pens, and it sounds like they’re working for you. That’s great. If you every look for the finest line, then you can’t beat dip nibs, like some of the amazingly fine mapping nibs. Even a “medium” dip like the Zebra Snak uses is finer than any xxf fountain pen nib. You have to dip, unless you can find a way to put it in a fountain pen, but then your ink choices expand as ones like sumi inks and gouache which can’t be used in fountain pens.

I had this thought after I saw the trending flex zebra Gs fit into jinhaos - I like flex myself but my response was, wait there are super super fine dip pen nibs ..... what if ?

I can't do the whole dip thing on the go so maybe maybe maybe I can go out of my way and go on that hunt ?

hopefully i return back to the states soon and start digging. for now i'm in the middle of a new collection. plus as it turns out my eyes are starting to fade, so chasing a finer dot would be nuts until i get an eye check up

thank you so much for bringing this up. it was just a thought in my head but seeing you post this makes me feel the need to take initiative!

AJP

When youre back in the states and want to go super fine, PM me. I may have a spare nib lying around.

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Art papers are not used in fountain pens in they feather. Clairefontaine Triumph is a slick paper, so don't feather and you would be able to make finer dots. Pelikan is the driest of inks.

Do as suggested spend some time in the paper section.

Of course if you want to watercolor your work then an art paper would be fine, but the dots won't be as fine nor controlled.

I am sure there are many art papers in the States....Gmund and Schoellershammer make art papers over here in Germany. Gmund can be expensive, I've not priced Schoellershammer. Ask Schoellershammer to send you a sample pack. I have one with 14 different papers.

I got it for free but I was 'noobie' and didn't tell them I wanted their fountain pen papers, instead of their art papers.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.