bobje

I recall attempting to fit an FPR ultraflex into an X750...it was too thick or wide or something.
I think too thick...to fit into the section with the feed.
The nib/feed housing isn't removable with those pens.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• duckbillclinton

• Pen Engineer

• ReadyFireAim

• bobje

That's not my experience. But those pens do not have a round feed. The feed has a tiny flat part to force a given orientation. If one fails to notice, then trying to replace the feed in the wrong orientation becomes difficult.

But, I have fitted various Goulet stub and FPR flex nibs to Jinhao x750 and x450 without any problem. That, OTOH is only my personal experience and maybe I just was lucky. YMMV.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

55 minutes ago, txomsy said:

That's not my experience. But those pens do not have a round feed. The feed has a tiny flat part to force a given orientation. If one fails to notice, then trying to replace the feed in the wrong orientation becomes difficult.

But, I have fitted various Goulet stub and FPR flex nibs to Jinhao x750 and x450 without any problem. That, OTOH is only my personal experience and maybe I just was lucky. YMMV.

Oh wow...that would explain my failure at it! lol...
I tried, failed, gave up and put the original nib back on it and sent it to a friend with a bottle of ink. 😆

I'll have to give the x750 another try with an Ultraflex sometime in the future.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

I've installed an FPR ultra-flex on 2 Jinhao 750s, and they are now a couple of my favorite pens. As the previous poster said, you do have to be careful about how you install the nib and feed, because there is a tiny flat part. (The Jinhao feed works well with this nib. I don't think the FPR feed fits.)  I'm so amazed at the FPR ultra flex nib. I have several of their pens with that nib and now on the two Jinhaos. I'm using Aurora black ink and Noodler's Cactus Eel ink in the Jinhaos, and they write so smoothly with such great flex. 

On 2/9/2022 at 7:08 AM, leonBG said:

Dear all,

I am new here, my name is Bojan, and I am fromBelgrade, Europe/Serbia.

I am 60, a journalist, but but also a student of academy of art. I adore fountain pens,have a lot of questions about some old I got from friends, also bought a kit from the states to make some new ones, but for now, I am asking for small help.

As a fresh student of sculpting, I have to draw a lot, we are using dip pens, but I thought to install a dip pen into Jinhao fountain pens.

I am planing to buy cheap Jinhao x750/x450 and install flex nibs: Zebra G #6, and FPR ultra flex nibs. I found on the internet that FPR flex pens are convenient for these Jinaho fountain pens, and zat Zebra G pen should be adjusted a little.

Do any of you have a kind of experience about this, about other pens, and what do you thing of it.

I would be very thakful if anyone could help me with some ideas or knowledge about this.

Best,

Bojan

I would highly recommend that you buy an Osprey Pen.  

https://www.ospreypens.com/collections/osprey-madison-fountain-pen-standard-size-6-zebra-g-5-5-flex-nibs

I did not buy it with the Zebra nib, but I did a review.  

Since purchasing the pen, it has remained in daily use.  It is a beautifully made pen that feels much richer than its price.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Tried installing a Nikko G nib in my Noodler's Ahab but never could get it to write properly.  So after lots of YouTube and FPN research I decided to purchase a Fountain Pen Revolution flex pen.  Bought a Himalaya version 2 with an extra fine flex nib in green ebonite.  Just love the look and feel of the green ebonite! 

However, when I first received it it wouldn't write more than a couple of letters without railroading and getting ink starved.  Tried several different inks, but they all would run dry and would take a lot of effort to get it to start writing again only to run dry again.

I contacted Kevin at FPR and he offered to send me a known good feed and nib combination if I couldn't get it working by trying more inks.  I instead tried to fiddle with the ebonite flex feed myself to get it to write wetter but to no avail.  Since I tinkered with the feed, I just ordered another flex feed for three dollars (ordered a couple of different size nibs to make it worth to postage).   Result, pen now writes great!  Will still run dry on occasion after several words, but starts right back up after a few strokes.

I'm learning Copperplate, and instead of having to break out my oblique holder with a Nikko G nib and Sumi ink, I can just practice thin and thick line technique without the fuss.  Had it for about a month and I just love it!

FPR Himalaya v2 Example.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That looks amazing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 2/20/2022 at 8:51 PM, Tasmith said:

FPR Himalaya v2 Example.jpg

Modern modified nibs have come quite far....great handwriting also.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That is lovely!  Your Copperplate is beautiful.  I have a Himalaya V2 also, with the ultra flex nib, and it's one of my favorite pens.  I love it for the exact same reason - I can practice calligraphy without having to get out a dip pen.  I've never had a problem with it railroading or hard starting. I did take it apart to clean it, though, and after I put the converter back in, it leaked. Kevin at FPR sent me another converter, and I put some silicone grease on it, and it's never leaked again. Kevin is great, and his customer service is too. I love his pens, and that ultra flex nib is amazing.

Pam

https://anartfulmom.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/anartfulmompam/

lr-4463-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 10:10 AM, antoniosz said:

--------------------------------------------------------

Stiffness and strength are two different properties of the material. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of good pieces of information, but one incorrect point that I would like to make sure people don't  propagate it.  Tempering, annealing etc.  none of these heat treatment processes does anything appreciable to the stiffness (elasticity) of the nib.   These processes do affect the strength of the metal - i.e. the nib will bend/break at a different force after these techniques. But no, the elastic modulus is not affected.   This is a well known fact in metallurgy of alloys. 

Doctor @antoniosz,  it's so wonderful to see your professional inputs/ comments from a true material science point of view.  I have checked out some of your older blogs, they are quite informative and very interesting.  Being a professor of material science, you are a true expert in the field and your suggestions (more precisely, your corrections of my previous post) are absolutely priceless,

1. yes, we shall not mix stiffness (which is related to elastic modulus) with strength (which is related to hardness and yield strength improvement obtained from cold work) for metal alloys.  My casual style of explanation indeed may mislead many readers.

2. and yes, heat treatment does not affect metal alloy's elastic modulus as it's contributed by the chemical composition of the alloy.

As I am fully occupied in recent months, my reply is a month late, my apologies.  I have a lot of things in mind may be of your interest, hopefully I will be able to make more time to post them (no promises, SORRY, I am already falling behind on replying some of the readers and the writing of ink film's impacts on flex nib design...), some of the topics we could discuss would be,

1. A more Systematic (statistically appropriate) approach to define flex.  To date, I have collected around 60 vintage flex nib pens (all 14k nibs), without any tinkering, they are mostly rated between full flex to super flex, then, a few wet noodles, and a few semi-flex,  each nib's flex range has been recorded, with additional data collected from several superb vintage pen dealers online, there might be a flex definition (range) all of us could agree on

2. Material mechanics (strength of material) and structural mechanics analysis on vintage flex nibs (both fountain pen nibs and tipped dip nibs) and why modern flex nib designs are lacking in performance.  (The importance of ink film stability will also be discussed.)

3. Analysis on the possibility of heat treatment to improve vintage flex gold nibs (2 actual cases from my experiments, 1 fully annealed, the other is partial annealed)

4. many other small things...

• 2 months later...

Recent work, due the need of very fine needle point like wet noodle for reviewing advance math.  The one on the left is the original Pilot Penmanship EF nib size at 0.25mm (based on Pilots online resources), no custom grinding.  The one in the middle is modified Wing Sung (Pilot clone) nib, sized down to 0.17mm, the one on the right is also Wing Sung at 0.2mm.  All 3 are quite smooth on A4 paper (for copier use), especially the 2 Wing Sungs, yet so sharp still manage to be smooth without any scratching.

Really have not much personal time, so long time no posts, and all my previously planned writings are suspended.  Still I will try to post a new thread of my views on how to systematically rate flex nibs based 60+ vintage 14k flex nib pens and various online shop data.  The spreadsheet is done (only 15 minutes needed:P).

IMG_20220603_203716.jpg

IMG_20220603_203758.jpg