Blackstone (Scents Of Australia) Brown Boronia

lgsoltek

I haven't done any review recently, mainly because I haven't bought any new ink. Since the news of new Blackstone inks I've been looking forward to them. Mishka5050 recently sent me samples of these new inks. Thank you!

I have enjoyed the previous Blackstone inks (the Colours of Australia ones). Blackstone inks have saturated colours and a very wet and smooth flow, all of which is what I love most about an ink. Some of them might have small problems, like Uluru Red dries out on the nib very quickly and gives hardstart, and the surfectant in Daintree Green could separate and turn into something goo-ish (a shake can mix the ink back together), but they don't cause much trouble.

My first impression of these new scented inks are that they also have rich colours and wet flow. So far I haven't encountered any problem. In terms of behaviour the only thing I could complain about (if I'm being picky) is that they could be too wet. Even by my standard I'd say they are a bit too wet, and can turn any nib into a firehose. I'm sure they are perfect for dry pens.

I'm no fan of brown inks, especially the red ones. However I sometimes enjoy yellow browns. Luckily Brown Boronia is one of the yellow ones. It reminds me of KWZI Honey. I'll compare these two later.

Splash

fpn_1499082296__img_4114.jpg

Sample

Pen: Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi NMF.

Paper: Clairefontaine 80g copy paper.

fpn_1499082290__boronia.jpeg

Compare

fpn_1499082081__australian_bush__boronia

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• lgsoltek

• dcwaites

• AmandaW

Hey @Lgsoltek,good to see a second review of this ink! Your impressions are similar to mine - this is a pleasant yellow-brown ink that us comparable (though not identical) to KWZ Honey. I think Boronia Brown is a little darker, though...

I'm interested to know what you think of the scent - it could just be my faulty olfactory apparatus, but I find it somehow reminiscent of banana?!

I completely agree with you, this is a nice brown! And it seems to have special qualities: a wide range in shading and - in my opinion - a delicate sheen.

I completely agree with you, this is a nice brown! And it seems to have special qualities: a wide range in shading and - in my opinion - a delicate sheen.

I haven't really seen a sheen with this ink (at least when writing, Sorry opposed to creating ink splashes!), but yes, it shades nicely, and provides a fairly wide range of depths of colour, depending on the wetness of the pen.

I haven't really seen a sheen with this ink (at least when writing, Sorry opposed to creating ink splashes!), but yes, it shades nicely, and provides a fairly wide range of depths of colour, depending on the wetness of the pen.

Jep! I have just identified a delicate sheen in the splash but not in Lgsoltek's writing samples...

The Scents (and Colours) of Australia are wettish inks, and these are a deliberate design decision. Those who like dryish inks will be attracted to the R.Oster Signature inks, and those who like wettish inks will like the Blackstone ones.

Given that, they are quite well behaved ( no feathering or spreading and minimal to no bleeding on any but the worst of papers).

However, of all the Scents inks, the Brown Boronia is the driest of the six.

I will be posting a comparative review Real Soon Now - six inks on four papers.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The Scents (and Colours) of Australia are wettish inks, and these are a deliberate design decision. Those who like dryish inks will be attracted to the R.Oster Signature inks, and those who like wettish inks will like the Blackstone ones.

Given that, they are quite well behaved ( no feathering or spreading and minimal to no bleeding on any but the worst of papers).

Yep, haven't noted it specifically but I think I can agree with that: Brown Boronia has a good, generous flow, but is probably a bit less wet than the others.

Look forward to seeing the comparative review!

Does it smell like boronia? The time of year when the brown boronia is flowering here is the best time of year - the scent is amazing - and all the shops have bunches of it for sale. Even though it's native here it's a difficult plant to grow because apparently it needs wet feet and a dry head. I have tried and failed with it my garden so many times I have cried defeat and now buy bunches of it every year with everyone else.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Does it smell like boronia? The time of year when the brown boronia is flowering here is the best time of year - the scent is amazing - and all the shops have bunches of it for sale. Even though it's native here it's a difficult plant to grow because apparently it needs wet feet and a dry head. I have tried and failed with it my garden so many times I have cried defeat and now buy bunches of it every year with everyone else.

I can't actually speak for the accuracy of the scents. I should take my collection of Scents of Australia across to the Mt Annan Botanical Gardens people and ask them.

Granny Aching

I'm glad they've chosen the WET way! Despite their wide range of colours, I just can't fall in love with RO inks. Just too dry and not lubricating.

The Blackstone inks are really wet, and they manage to keep the feathering and bleeding to a minimum. It's genius work.

Hey @Lgsoltek,good to see a second review of this ink! Your impressions are similar to mine - this is a pleasant yellow-brown ink that us comparable (though not identical) to KWZ Honey. I think Boronia Brown is a little darker, though...

I'm interested to know what you think of the scent - it could just be my faulty olfactory apparatus, but I find it somehow reminiscent of banana?!

I'll have to take it out and have a smell this evening!

It does smell like banana!

I'm not a brown ink fan, yet I kind of like this.

Wet inks, you say? Hmm. I need to look at the colors.

I'm not a brown ink fan, yet I kind of like this.

Wet inks, you say? Hmm. I need to look at the colors.

Thy wish is my command. A Q&D scan just to show what we have.

The paper is Muji refill paper. I used three matched Jinhao X-750s, first for the Blue-Green inks, then flushed and refilled for the Red-Brown inks.

I added a couple of other inks for comparison.

fpn_1499468601__scentsofaus.jpg

fpn_1499468663__scentsofaus_1.jpg

More to come.

Granny Aching

Thank you! Already spotted three I'd love to try. Can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks @Dcwaites for putting that together - in my scans the inks trend somewhat darker, but I think that's more a reflection of the pens I'm using (I inked up a few FPR pens of different types, with flex nibs that tend to be very wet!).

Thanks @Dcwaites for putting that together - in my scans the inks trend somewhat darker, but I think that's more a reflection of the pens I'm using (I inked up a few FPR pens of different types, with flex nibs that tend to be very wet!).

I try to adjust my pens to be just a little on the dryish side of medium wet. That lets them show shading along with what I think is the true colour of the ink.

Granny Aching

I try to adjust my pens to be just a little on the dryish side of medium wet. That lets them show shading along with what I think is the true colour of the ink.

Yep, that's the beauty of having a few different reviewers who 'calibrate' their pens differently - you get a better sense of the range of colours a given ink can produce on different papers, and in different pens with varying degrees of wetness, line width etc...