Flying With A New Bottle Of Ink

Shamalama

I recently a bought a new bottle of ink, platinum black. Even if it was never opened, will it leak on a plane flight from Japan to the U.S.? If it does is there anything I can do to prevent it?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• amberleadavis

• mitto

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't have any problems, as long as the bottle sealed (but if not, you'll have problems regardless, so...).

If I remember correctly, you're allowed to have up to 200ml of liquid in your luggage, at least that's the case for European airlines. Anyway, I, personally, did fly with ink sample, about 3 ml.

I recently a bought a new bottle of ink, platinum black. Even if it was never opened, will it leak on a plane flight from Japan to the U.S.? If it does is there anything I can do to prevent it?

No it won't leak in your suitcase. I assume it already travelled on a plane before it arrived with you.

In addition, can you carry ink in your on board luggage?

On board luggage? If you mean in a suitcase in the hold, checked luggage, it will be fine. I wouldn't risk trying to take it in your carry on luggage though. There is more risk of having it confiscated.

You shouldn't have any problems, as long as the bottle sealed (but if not, you'll have problems regardless, so...).

If I remember correctly, you're allowed to have up to 200ml of liquid in your luggage, at least that's the case for European airlines. Anyway, I, personally, did fly with ink sample, about 3 ml.

The maximum is 100ml not 200ml in carry on bags

Maybe, not sure. Anyway, most of the ink bottles don't exceed this.

You "maybe, not sure". I know the maximum limit in carry on bags is 100ml. It has been so for ages now. You can have more than one bottle of liquid, as long as none of them is more than 100ml.

TSA liquids rule

Ziplock plastic bag to make sure, but don't think you would have any problem...even if the bottle had been opened before.

Call up your plane's company and ask.......be prepared to wait, in bottled ink is exotic.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Fountain pen ink is mostly water. In that regard FP Ink is no different than any other liquid on a plane - it shouldn't leak from a closed container unless the container has issues closing properly.

Put it in checked luggage. Don't try to carry on.

+1. If you do decide to 'carry on', don't be surprised if it delays you while security check it out. :unsure:

I had my Pelikan Edelstein Ametyst on airplane, in carry on bag. There where zero issues, it was in ziplock bag with my other liquids.

Have travelled with 20+ bottles in checkin, which I tripledbagged just to save my surrounding luggage contents & all made it through fine.

Whilst at airport dutyfree bought more bottles :) and they didn't even bother ziplocking, unlike cosmetics & liquor.

Maybe, not sure. Anyway, most of the ink bottles don't exceed this.

I confirm 100 ml is the maximum.

I suppose if you're flying with only carry on luggage then you have no choice but to put your ink in there. I imagined someone trying to fill a fountain pen in a bottle of ink on the long haul flight home that we had from Atlanta to Heathrow. It was that bumpy that it's not something I would have tried! So I assume you might not need to use the bottle, but have no checked bags to carry it in. :D

I confirm 100 ml is the maximum.

Plistumi will confirm that Akkerman bottles exceeded (at the time) 100 ml.

fpn_1361419557__tsa.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Flying with a bottle of ink? I prefer a 747!

... I'll get me coat...

No it won't leak in your suitcase. I assume it already travelled on a plane before it arrived with you.

This.

On board luggage? If you mean in a suitcase in the hold, checked luggage, it will be fine. I wouldn't risk trying to take it in your carry on luggage though. There is more risk of having it confiscated.

This...

The maximum is 100ml not 200ml in carry on bags

This, and -

You "maybe, not sure". I know the maximum limit in carry on bags is 100ml. It has been so for ages now. You can have more than one bottle of liquid, as long as none of them is more than 100ml.

TSA liquids rule

THIS! (I can further confirm that there is no difference between airline rules on Japanese routes - I doubt there are anywhere, but I'm speaking from personal experience on Japanese routes.)

Plistumi will confirm that Akkerman bottles exceeded (at the time) 100 ml.

fpn_1361419557__tsa.jpg

This is funny! :D

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Frank C and I took bottles of the 150 ml Akkerman bottles to the LA show that year and when Plistumi went to fly home with her ink, TSA refused to let her on the plane in with the ink in case it was a dangerous liquid. Plistumi refused to throw it away so she drank it to the minimum amount.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY