marie9999

Hooligan Raging Red

Custom Pen January 2017

fpn_1499022393__img_0582.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen

First Impression

Reverie...

This is a custom pen designed and created by Tim Cullen of Hooligen Pen Co. I first saw Tim's work on Facebook in the fall of 2015. On December 26, 2015 after much discussion with Tim, I ordered two pens...

1 - Irish Oak Bog

2 - Tuxedo Pen but with Green barrel and possible Jade dome on cap

Both pens were to have ruthenium 18 kt nibs. We also discussed timing and Tim estimated that it would be late 2016 or early 2017 before the pens would be ready.

fpn_1499022907__img_0573.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Irish Oak Bog from Tim's gallery of work

fpn_1499023009__img_0572.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Irish Oak Bog from Tim's gallery of work

fpn_1499023239__img_0575.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Tuxedo from Tim's gallery of work

fpn_1499023306__img_0574.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Tuxedo from Tim's gallery of work

fpn_1499023385__img_0578.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Barrel material for my Tuxedo

In October 2016, Tim reached out to finalize the design and well one thing lead to another and the two pens morphed into one expensive pen - but is it a BEAUTY!

So the final design kept the Irish Oak Bog and flat top cap with lot of Damascus and the barrel became a Damascus ring of steel.

So Tim began to create the pen. The cap was just right from the beginning, but the barrel just didn't sing to me. Now don't get me wrong - it was lovely in it's own right and I had decided to take and if it didn't grow on me ask Tim to change. Well Tim wasn't having it and changed the acrylic from the lovely golden brown to the raging red. This persistence on Tim's part is what make him a great artist with a keen focus on the customer.

fpn_1499023839__img_0579.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Hooligan MP part 1

fpn_1499023953__img_0580.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Hooligan RR oh yeah!

When I saw that red against the Damascus I knew it is a hit!!!

Appearance and Design (10/10)

It's the custom pen of custom pens. The size is perfect for my big hands - see photo below of comparison to other pens.

Construction and Quality (10/10)

The fit and finish are perfect. PERIOD.

Exactly the same as the Hooligan V.

Weight and Dimension (10/10)

Tim warned me multiple times, long before construction began that this would be a heavy pen - and I still said go for it.

Weight:

Whole pen inked: 1.9 oz

Barrel inked: 0.9 oz

Dimensions:

(rough no calipers handy)

Length Capped: 6 3/16" (15.5 cm)

Length Cap: 2 13/16" (7.1 cm)

Length Barrel and Nib: 5 3/8" (13.5 cm)

Length Posted: 7 5/16" (18.5 cm)

Max Diameter - Top End of Cap: 9/16" (1.5 cm)

Min Diameter - Section: 7/16" (1.1 cm)

Pen comparison Line-up from left to right: TWSBI 700 Vac, Pelikan M800, Visconti Homo Sapiens Blue Crystal Swirl, Hooligan RR, Holligan V LE#2/20, Lamy Al-Star, Pilot Metropolitan. As you can see the Hooligan RR is slightly smaller than the Hooligan V.

fpn_1499026768__img_0610_comp.jpg

The cap will post, but I usually set the cap upright on desk while I write only holding the barrel. I think that it would be an awesome display to post and place on stand! (of course with no ink)

fpn_1499027980__img_0613_pen_posted.jpg

Nib and Performance (10/10)

18k ruthenium board nib cut by Mike Masuyama to cursive italic - I use several different nibmeisters and Mike always does outstanding work - he is at the top of the game and if you haven't tried his cursive italic, I highly recommend that you try it - writes very well.

fpn_1499027773__img_0609_nib_comp.jpg

fpn_1499028605__img_0615_ring_of_fire.jp

Filling System (10/10)

Standard converter - works well. Easy to fill / clean / maintain.

(So why not a 8 - like I gave the same converter on the Hooligan V?

Well I have decided after this week - that my first choice on any pen is going to be converter. I know that a lot of custom pen maker are offering button and piston fills, and I love the capacity of my Conid but I don't mind refilling if it makes maintaining easier. My vintage ONOTO is a top 10 pen in my collection but the cork maintenance is a absolute pain.)

Cost and Value (10/10)

The pen is the most expensive pen in my collection at $1200. This price includes the ruthenium 18k nib and nib customization by Mike Masuyama. This price also includes a second ruthenium nib that was purchased for the pen that was consumed by this masterpiece. No worries that nib will be used on my next Hooligan.

Now $1200 is a lot for a pen - I get it - but this is my perfect pen - Tim built the length and section diameter to my exact specifications so I love to write with it.

Overall (10)

Now for those of you who are wondering - yes this is the one and only time that I scored any pen a perfect 10. I could gush on and on about how wonder it is - but the engineer in me says hold up - just the high points. So....

- This is the number one pen in my collection.

- Damascus steel and Irish Oak Bog play off each other in a way that is contemporary and ancient all at the same time.

- The red acrylic just pops - the contrast is stunning. The ruthenium nib look fab and writes like a dream.

- Tim is always pushing the edge and his work continues to amaze his collectors.

fpn_1499030399__img_0582_tim_full.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Hooligan RR before logo on clip

fpn_1499030488__img_0581_tim_full_side.j

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Hooligan RR

fpn_1499030553__img_0587_barrel_step_dow

fpn_1499030593__img_0583_cap_hooligan_lo

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Hooligan RR cap Hooligan logo

fpn_1499030632__img_0584_clip_logo.jpg

photo credit: Tim Cullen - Hooligan RR clip Hooligan logo

fpn_1499030685__img_0585_uncapped.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marie9999

• TSherbs

• Barkingpig

• Astronymus

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is indeed a stunning pen & I thank you for your review of what is obviously a very special pen; I thank you for sharing it with us.

Wow, what an incredible piece. The raging red is indeed raging. I fully agree with you on the the bog oak, he Damascus steel and also the swirled acrylic going together extremely well.

Would you like to include the weight in grams as well?

Whole pen inked: 1.9 oz -> 53.8 ~ 54gr

Barrel inked: 0.9 oz -> 25.5 ~ 26gr

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful piece.

Enjoy your new treasure. Thanks for sharing.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Love the color contrast!

the logo looks like a hybrid of TWSBI and Penhabit

thanks for sharing

This pen is definitely mighter than the sword. Well done.