Elysee Vernissage Limited Edition Pens 1994

PenHero

Hi, Folks,

Thought I would take some new pictures of one of my favorite pens, the gorgeous Elysee Edition No 2 Limited Edition, released in 1994.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ElyseeEditionNo2_1280_01.jpg
Elysee released three Cloisonné Limited Edition pen sets in 1993 and 1994. Each pen was a commissioned work of an artist, and was intended for an extended series called Vernissage. The base pen was the Elysee Parthenon, Élysée's top pen. This one is Edition No 2, by artist Karl Diesner. The artist prefers to work in bright colors and with geometric shapes. The design is an ordered theme of pure and dark blue green lacquer elements offset by wide platinum plate lines that form zigzag pattern down the length of the pen. The edition included 6,000 fountain pens that retailed for $425. There was also a matching capped rollerball pen, twist action ballpoint pen and twist action pencil. The nib is platinum plated 18 karat gold.
I'll post the other pens along the way. Anyone else have one of these?
Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• elysee

• alexwi

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some very pretty Elysee pens......worthy of someone collecting them.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi, Folks,

This is the Elysee Impression Number 1 Limited Edition 1994, The third pen in the Chinese Cloisonné Vernissage series. The artwork on the pen, "Toward the Light", was created by artist Manfred Eberhard.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ElyseeImpressionNo1_1280_01.jpg
This pen, the most elaborate of the series, depicts a human shape walking towards the sun. The walking figure is rendered in bright gold framed by a brilliant sunburst behind the figure's head. The pen has a highly decorated two-tone platinum masked solid 18 karat gold nib that was available in extra-fine, fine, medium, and broad point sizes. Each pen is individually numbered out of 6,000 pieces. The fountain pen sold for $450.00.
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is the Elysee Edition Number 1 Limited Edition, released in 1993. It's the first in the series of three Chinese Cloisonné limited editions using art as the basis for the pen design. The pens are based on the Elysee Parthenon, their top pen.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ElyseeEditionNo1_1280_01.jpg
This very geometric was created by artist Karl Diesner who prefers to work in bright colors and with geometric shapes. The design is a mosaic of geometric shapes in black, blue, pink, and white marble interchanging with bright gold diamonds with a black cross design. The pen has a two-tone platinum masked solid 18 karat gold nib that was available in extra-fine, fine, medium, and broad point sizes. The fountain pen originally sold for $375.00.
Thanks!

You should add the Edition 90 as well; many people cannot tell the difference between the soft pink of the Edition 90 and the brighter pink of the Edition No. 1, the former released before the latter. I must admit that I love the soft pink of the Edition 90 just as I love the vibrant colors of my Edition No. 2, Impressions No. 1, and Edition No. 1. I spent years watching eBay so that I could buy sets of each. As you might guess from my screen name and my avatar, Elysee pens are my absolute FAVORITE pens! : )

You should add the Edition 90 as well; many people cannot tell the difference between the soft pink of the Edition 90 and the brighter pink of the Edition No. 1, the former released before the latter. I must admit that I love the soft pink of the Edition 90 just as I love the vibrant colors of my Edition No. 2, Impressions No. 1, and Edition No. 1. I spent years watching eBay so that I could buy sets of each. As you might guess from my screen name and my avatar, Elysee pens are my absolute FAVORITE pens! : )

I'd like to add the Edition 90, but I don't have one to photograph. I would need a loaner pen and the information brochure that came with it.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

What is the difference between Edition No. 1 and Edition 90? I have Vernissage No. 1. What would be a fair price for Edition 90? I payed £250 for No. 1 which I thought is reasonable for the quality of work. Someone is selling edition 90 on eBay under the Vernissage No. 1 title for £230. Is the only difference between the two the name?

PS It is a nice pen. Although I read couple of times that grip section ring is prone to rust. So I dont ink it from the ink bottle, just cartridge.

Edited by vonManstein

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks!

Another view of this pen!

This is the Elysee Impression Number 1 Limited Edition 1994, The third pen in the Chinese Cloisonné Vernissage series. The artwork on the pen, "Toward the Light", was created by artist Manfred Eberhard. This pen, the most elaborate of the series, depicts a human shape walking towards the sun. The walking figure is rendered in bright gold framed by a brilliant sunburst behind the figure's head. The pen has a highly decorated two-tone platinum masked solid 18 karat gold nib that was available in extra-fine, fine, medium, and broad point sizes. Each pen is individually numbered out of 6,000 pieces. The fountain pen originally sold for $450.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ElyseeImpressionNo1_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is an Elysee Edition No 2 Limited Edition, released in 1994. Elysee released three Cloisonné Limited Edition pen sets in 1993 and 1994. Each pen was a commissioned work of an artist and was intended for an extended series called Vernissage. The base pen was the Elysee Parthenon, Élysée's top pen. This one is Edition No 2, by artist Karl Diesner. The artist prefers to work in bright colors and with geometric shapes. The design is an ordered theme of pure and dark blue green lacquer elements offset by wide platinum plate lines that form zigzag pattern down the length of the pen. The edition included 6,000 fountain pens that originally retailed for $425. There was also a matching capped rollerball pen, twist action ballpoint pen and twist action pencil. The nib is platinum plated 18 karat gold.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ElyseeEditionNo2_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Beautiful pens, and very interesting to learn about them. I really like the nib design and shape too.

Hi Folks!

This is the Elysee Edition Number 1 Limited Edition, released in 1993. It's the first in the series of three Chinese Cloisonné limited editions using art as the basis for the pen design. The pens are based on the Elysee Parthenon, their top pen. This very geometric design was created by artist Karl Diesner who prefers to work in bright colors and with geometric shapes. It’s a mosaic of black, blue, pink, and white marble elements interchanging with bright gold diamonds decorated with a black cross inside a diamond. The back of the cap has “edition No 1” in black enamel on a gold panel. The pen has a two-tone platinum masked solid 18 karat gold nib that was available in extra-fine, fine, medium, and broad point sizes. The fountain pen originally sold for $375.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ElyseeEditionNo1_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Elysees write wonderfully and they're hard to find.

I have several, with the Edition No. 2 being the most cherished, of course.

I've yet to find one I don't like, even though I will part with my Series 60 in steel, but only because the section's too thin for by taste, even though it's an excellent pen otherwise, with a stunning, minimalist design that I'm very fond of.

Would love to get the Impression No.1, but the few times I've come across one it was a rather expensive decision.

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 9:17 AM, 4lex said:

What is the difference between Edition No. 1 and Edition 90? I have Vernissage No. 1. What would be a fair price for Edition 90? I payed £250 for No. 1 which I thought is reasonable for the quality of work. Someone is selling edition 90 on eBay under the Vernissage No. 1 title for £230. Is the only difference between the two the name?

PS It is a nice pen. Although I read couple of times that grip section ring is prone to rust. So I dont ink it from the ink bottle, just cartridge.

Examining the attached pictures, you will see that the Edition No. 1 (on the left) has a darker pink that the Edition 90 (on the right).   Unlike the Edition No. 2 and the Impressions No. 1, neither the Edition No. 1 nor the Edition 90 have an engraved serial number.

Prices of Elysee pens change.  You must decide for yourself what you consider to be reasonable.  At the writing of this post, there is an Edition No. 2 set (ballpoint pen and fountain pen) and an Impressions No. 1 set (ballpoint pen and fountain pen) posted on eBay, the former for almost 900 USD and the latter for over 1000 USD.  To me, both of those prices are outrageous.  In early November, a seller listed a dinged, scratched, worn Impressions No. 1 set on eBay for over 1000 USD — based on the poor condition of the set, I view that price as ridiculous.

7A97206E-1457-457A-A813-D4F64AD3B3AE.jpeg

On 1/16/2021 at 12:13 PM, elysee said:

Examining the attached pictures, you will see that the Edition No. 1 (on the left) has a darker pink that the Edition 90 (on the right).   Unlike the Edition No. 2 and the Impressions No. 1, neither the Edition No. 1 nor the Edition 90 have an engraved serial number.

Prices of Elysee pens change.  You must decide for yourself what you consider to be reasonable.  At the writing of this post, there is an Edition No. 2 set (ballpoint pen and fountain pen) and an Impressions No. 1 set (ballpoint pen and fountain pen) posted on eBay, the former for almost 900 USD and the latter for over 1000 USD.  To me, both of those prices are outrageous.  In early November, a seller listed a dinged, scratched, worn Impressions No. 1 set on eBay for over 1000 USD — based on the poor condition of the set, I view that price as ridiculous.

7A97206E-1457-457A-A813-D4F64AD3B3AE.jpeg

The asking prices are too high. 

On 1/18/2021 at 2:38 AM, jchch1950 said:

The asking prices are too high. 

I agree and I would go so far as to say that the asking prices are totally outrageous and unreasonable.  

Some of the listings make me laugh as the sellers describe their pens as hard-to-find despite there being similar listings at the same time.  Other sellers list their scraped, scratched, dinged, dented, gouged, and discolored pens at top-dollar prices and describe these damaged goods as in excellent condition.  

Hmm, if only such a price were real and reasonable — I could make a fortune.  However, no one would love and take care of my pens like me.  They have a happy home in which they serve a purpose and work with me to grade assignments and exams as well as provide guidance and help to my students.  I would never take that purpose or their loving protector (that would be me) away from my lovely, hard-working pens.  ; )

Despite finding the limited series stunningly beautiful, I don't see myself paying $1000 for any pen.

I wouldn't pay more than $300 for one of them, as I have one and know not only how gorgeous and well it is, but also how great it writes, but even that's a stretch for me.

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh