Pilot Custom Urushi

mke

Have you seen the picture of the Pilot Custom 845 Vermillion?

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845.php

It somehow reminds me the color combination of a bell-boy uniform. I hope the "announced" Custom Urushi will be fully vermillion colored (and with nib size F).

edit: Just to make sure that I am understood correctly:

"vermillion + a little bit black" is preferred to "vermillion and all the feed section in black"

Edited by mke

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• sunnyt

• freakman

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a TPSQ Vermilion Pilot 845. I have several urushiware items of, if not the same exact shade then very close. I also have many that are not all close. I find it to be a beautiful red.

I like this red very much too - if only the feed section would be vermillion too.

Don't make me jealous or I come over and steal it. :)

A comparative view LINK

Have you seen the picture of the Pilot Custom 845 Vermillion?

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845.php

It somehow reminds me the color combination of a bell-boy uniform. I hope the "announced" Custom Urushi will be fully vermillion colored (and with nib size F).

edit: Just to make sure that I am understood correctly:

"vermillion + a little bit black" is preferred to "vermillion and all the feed section in black"

I have a TPSQ Vermilion Pilot 845. I have several urushiware items of, if not the same exact shade then very close. I also have many that are not all close. I find it to be a beautiful red.

I had to see the vermillion 845 in person to fully appreciate its beauty, it really is something! Photos don't do this finish justice.

• 2 weeks later...

Anderson Pens in the US has the Custom Urushi (in black). Price is $1,115. Only the broad nib is available right now.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Anderson Pens in the US has the Custom Urushi (in black). Price is $1,115. Only the broad nib is available right now.

I also spoke to Aesthetic Bay in Singapore. Their prices seem to be very competitive (based on listings in Rakuten). Delivery will be after three months though.

I received my Pilot Custom Urushi with medium nib from Fountain Pen Hospital last week. Great pen.

I don't see the Custom Urushi on the FPH web site.

I don't see the Custom Urushi on the FPH web site.

I don't think they advertised it. I received an email from my "pen pusher" at FPH letting me know they had arrived and asking if I wanted them to set one aside. Probably worth calling if you are interested.

Edited by gmstevenson

Just saw one in Itoya in Odakyu Department Store in Shinjuku yesterday. That are around on display anyway. Do not know if you can take one home with you or must order.

I'm surprised they skipped over the 845 for the US market. My impression was the Custom Urushi was selling well enough in Japan that they were hard to find.

To the best of my knowledge (interaction with some dealers in Singapore and Japan), seems to be selling quite well. Pilot have stopped producing some other lines (temporarily, such as 845) to make sure that custom urushi demand is met (makes sense under the assumption that their margins may be higher on the custom urushi). Still back ordered in Singapore, incoming stock was sold out in a week. Availability in the US could also be due to the fact that US price is at least 20% higher than Japan/Singapore price and it may not make sense to many at that price (myself included).

The price tag was definitely a bit off putting, especially considering the next model down (845) can be had for about $325-400. I'm sure the newness of the pen is a large part of the premium so hopefully over time the prices will drop.

I haven't seen any Pilot Custom Urushi at Yahoo Auctions yet. Even the better models Custom 743, 845 and 823 are relatively rare. Only the Custom 74 is available in masses.

The price tag was definitely a bit off putting, especially considering the next model down (845) can be had for about $325-400. I'm sure the newness of the pen is a large part of the premium so hopefully over time the prices will drop.

I hope so too. Has been the case with the Sailor KoP, hopefully custom urushi will go the same way.

I haven't seen any Pilot Custom Urushi at Yahoo Auctions yet. Even the better models Custom 743, 845 and 823 are relatively rare. Only the Custom 74 is available in masses.

They do pop up at Rakuten for about $850.

Saw a custom urushi today at the Anderson's table at the Dallas pen show. It told shortly afterward. I liked the nib very much, but I thought the pen was too fat for its body length. I much prefer the black ebonite Sailor KOP or the Namiki Yukari Royale Urushi.