Small Fountain Pen Shop In Ny?

essayfaire

A friend was telling me about a small pen shop in NY on Madison Ave. that he thought I should visit when I head that way. Definitely not Fountain Pen Hospital - he said this was a tiny little store. He doesn't think it is Art Brown's shop, based on the picture and address of that one, unless Art Brown had relocated into a larger space. Anyone know of any other small, pen-packed sole proprietor shops on Madison Ave?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• welch

• Orthostylos

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend was telling me about a small pen shop in NY on Madison Ave. that he thought I should visit when I head that way. Definitely not Fountain Pen Hospital - he said this was a tiny little store. He doesn't think it is Art Brown's shop, based on the picture and address of that one, unless Art Brown had relocated into a larger space. Anyone know of any other small, pen-packed sole proprietor shops on Madison Ave?

Hi Essayfaire,

Send a PM to FPN member: welch

If there is a pen shop anywhere in Manhattan... he'll know. ;)

- Anthony

No, I don't know of a pen store on Madison. Art Browns, the glorious and best pen shop, closed about July, 2013. They were on 45th Street between 5th and 6th...a great location to sell pens and paper and notebooks, but the rent had gotten too much.

McNally Jackson Books has a pen & paper store, but they are in SoHo (= "South of Houston"). Lee's Art Supply was on 57th Street near Carnegie Hall, but they closed. Janoff's is an office and art supply store near Columbia University, about 112th Street and Broadway; they carry fountain pens (in fact, they have two or three Parker 51 Limited Edition pens). Joons had a couple of locations in midtown, but they closed about ten years ago.

The Neue Gallerie is an art museum at 86th and 5th that specializes in German expressionist art and Bauhaus design. They have a great bookstore and a gift shop that OUGHT to carry fountain pens like the Lamy 2000, but they don't agree, yet.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Thanks for the info. My friend hadn't been to the shop in quite a while, but from what Welch is describing it sounds as if he perhaps was talking about Joons, if it was even smaller than Art Brown's. My friends description made is sound like Art Brown's - small, guy really knows his pens, district with rising rents.... When he tried to find the shop for me and saw a picture of the interior of Art Brown's, he said the place he was thinking of was half that size.

I never thought of Neue carrying pens, but that would be a good fit!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Mentioning Madison Avenue brought to mind Rebecca Moss, on Madison and 53rd.

I am sure it is closed for some time now, but I do have fine memories of the store.

I first walked in (perhaps 1998) asking if they had a very fine tipped fountain pen, and the Owner came out from the back with a Namiki stealth faceted fine point pen. (it is still in my pocket today). It was love at first sight, with the pen, and with collecting fountain pens in general. My boss at the time also purchased a gift for me there, and as told to me, when he asked about a pen as a gift, the Owner said "Wait...This is a Pen!". That is how I received my Namiki Moonlight, which is m most treasured pen.

I found this link, and the reviews are from 2003, so likely the store closed about that time.

http://nymag.com/listings/stores/rebecca_moss/

Sure miss the store.