• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• BillH

• Ayami_109

• TheRealMikeDr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very very nice! Thanks for posting the photo. Cannot wait till mine arrives! I think I'll enjoy holding the pen up to the light in admiration.

Mine arrived yesterday as advertised!

It is indeed a rather dark brown when sitting on the desk. The steel nib is quite nice, offers a little bit of line variation. The ink (I didn't get the special bottle!) is wonderful if just a tad bit on the dry side maybe. It's a pretty true brown, not much (if any) redish tint like you get with the Montblanc Toffee Brown. This ink seems like a lighter version of Diamine Chocolate Brown which I like quite a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/qQ1nOi9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/r0JF9fa.jpg

Very nice photo, TheRealMikeDr!

The pen is turning out darker than i anticipated when i ordered. I admit, i jumped on this pen because i couldn't get find the cognac for a price i was willing to pay.. and i like the notion of a brown, transparent Pelikan. (But i do have the kaweco Sport in Cognac which makes up for it i guess) Previous releases like the aquamarine and amethyst didn't tickle my fancy.

Bummer you didn't get the special gold accented ink bottle, but the impression i got from Goulet was that they'd be supplying the regular ones (otherwise they'd describe it as a boxed set instead)

Very nice brown pen. I won't be buying it.

I've got my Amethyst***** so......lets see I bought a new pen in @1970 a P-75, then a 605 on Sale Galeria Kaufhaus, an MB Woolf...on sale 1/3 off in my B&M, and a 215.................my god!!!... five new pens.

I normally buy old cheap pens....vintage and semi-vintage. Some 70 or so.

*****Grumble cubed....they were out of the Amethyst ink....all I could get was cartridges. Of which I have one in my old used 381 OB.

Do have the Smoky Quartz ink....this time I didn't wait until November to go looking. :headsmack: :doh: :rolleyes: :blush:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Very nice photo, TheRealMikeDr!

The pen is turning out darker than i anticipated when i ordered. I admit, i jumped on this pen because i couldn't get find the cognac for a price i was willing to pay.. and i like the notion of a brown, transparent Pelikan. (But i do have the kaweco Sport in Cognac which makes up for it i guess) Previous releases like the aquamarine and amethyst didn't tickle my fancy.

Bummer you didn't get the special gold accented ink bottle, but the impression i got from Goulet was that they'd be supplying the regular ones (otherwise they'd describe it as a boxed set instead)

Thanks!

It is a dark-ish brown for sure unless you hold it up directly to the light. I like the color although truth be told it's a little plain looking in comparison to the striped Pelikan's I have. That said - the reason I purchased it was to try out their steel nib. I've read many good things about them and have to say it is quite nice. I'm looking for a fine nib (just the screw-in nib/feed) to try out too if I can find one at a decent price.

"""I've read many good things about them and have to say it is quite nice.""" I became impressed with them, in they are as good as the '90-97 era nibs.

I'm looking for a fine nib (just the screw-in nib/feed) to try out too if I can find one at a decent price....

I saw some on an English site, 13.90 pounds for steel.....some 17 something for gold plated.

I thought that a very good price!!!!

Last time I looked they were running E-25/27 or so at my B&M. So Stateside prices should be less than that in the dollar has fallen in worth again.

:angry: Part of my pension, is in $. Grumble cubed.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I actually prefer this to the various 'tortoise' coloured 400s as well as any other 'brown[ish]' variants. To me, with the internals inadvertently creating 'dark spots,' the pen is actually closer to a true acrylic tortoise as seen on Kent combs or Koh-I-Noor products, compared to the 'striped' 400s.

Plus, I prefer its understated qualities compared to the Souvaran variants.

I am considering purchasing one and fitting it with a vintage nib...maybe.

Edited by Offret

Bought one four days ago. It is my first higher-end fountain pen.

However, I already have a lot of scratches on my M200.

Some pics:

RirML77.jpg
xCjDIZI.jpg
Have more owners of the M200 Smokey Quartz experienced this?

MB 146

@offret: I like what you said about how the smokey quartz colour looks like tortoise shell. I happen to really like that sort of look so that description really paints the pen in a positive light! Sure as heck any barrel staining (or splotches as you say) won't be a problem as it will only look more like tortoise!

@Arthurm: that's such a bummer! Was this from posting the pen? If it's from general use then this is not what i would expect from a measly four days of ownership. It would be a shame to have to baby this pen to the extreme. I look forward to comments from other members too. This M200 will be my first bird and i plan to have it in semi regular rotation.

By the way, any news from LCdC? Do we know if they have their shipment of pens yet? (Yes i pre-ordered....way back in early July, hoping to get the pen asap) Now I'm banking on not getting my pen until at least October with international shipping and all.... the excitement of others with their pens is getting to me!

@Arthurm: that's such a bummer! Was this from posting the pen? If it's from general use then this is not what i would expect from a measly four days of ownership. It would be a shame to have to baby this pen to the extreme. I look forward to comments from other members too. This M200 will be my first bird and i plan to have it in semi regular rotation.

Hello Ayami,

Thanks for your reply. I have posted the pen indeed, but I still find it a pity that I can see all those scratches after four days of using it, and to be fairly honest I am disappointed by the quality. And there's another scratch at the center of the barrel as you can see.

Edited by arthurm

MB 146

Hello Ayami,

Thanks for your reply. I have posted the pen indeed, but I still find it a pity that I can see all those scratches after four days of using it, and to be fairly honest I am disappointed by the quality. And there's another scratch at the center of the barrel as you can see.

This is one of the reasons I don't post my pens. The cap is also scratching the barrel above the section--I have found that to be normal on all of my Pelikans. Only the harder acrylic types of pens resist scratches like these. My Franklin Christoph seemed to be scratch proof and still looked very near mint when I sold it after about two years of use (in a rotation, but still). Resin just shows wear way more rapidly than acrylic.

@Arthurm: I would be disappointed too! Perhaps the dark color makes the scratches more visible.

I have a Kaweco Sport that's full of scratches, but it is an EDC pen that gets a ton of use and is regularly knocked about in my bag...so totally expected.

Pens inevitably show signs of use through microscratches, but like i said four days....is not long at all! And i hate to say but the scratches look sort of obvious to the eye. This might be a long shot, but have you considered contacting Pelikan? (Better sooner than later) I wonder if a warranty claim will cover it? Not like you dropped the pen or rubbed it against steel wool or anything silly like that!! Just airing out my thoughts.

@Arthurm: I would be disappointed too! Perhaps the dark color makes the scratches more visible.

I have a Kaweco Sport that's full of scratches, but it is an EDC pen that gets a ton of use and is regularly knocked about in my bag...so totally expected.

Pens inevitably show signs of use through microscratches, but like i said four days....is not long at all! And i hate to say but the scratches look sort of obvious to the eye. This might be a long shot, but have you considered contacting Pelikan? (Better sooner than later) I wonder if a warranty claim will cover it? Not like you dropped the pen or rubbed it against steel wool or anything silly like that!! Just airing out my thoughts.

I will go back to the store I bought my pen at (PW Akkerman in The Hague) next Wednesday. I've never dropped the pen or rubbed it, I only use it at home or when at school, so the scratches came from posting the pen I guess. But then again, a scratched pen after four days of use is a bit fast in my opinion.

Edited by arthurm

MB 146

Bought one four days ago. It is my first higher-end fountain pen.

However, I already have a lot of scratches on my M200.

Some pics:

Have more owners of the M200 Smokey Quartz experienced this?

Mine has been inked and in use for a week now and it still looks like new. I never post my pens and the nicer ones never leave the house (they sit on my desk when in use - on a pen stand or in a pen case when not in use) so they live a very pampered life. I do generally see little micro-scratches on several of my Montblanc pens on the section just below the threads (I assume the cap rubs on this part when capping or un-capping) which was unnerving at first (A $700 pen showing scratches on the first day!!) but after a bit I don't notice it. Plus it's easy enough to polish them out. You could easily polish those scratches out if you wish.

You could easily polish those scratches out if you wish.

Thanks for replying.

With what product can I do that?

MB 146

...snip...

By the way, any news from LCdC? Do we know if they have their shipment of pens yet? (Yes i pre-ordered....way back in early July, hoping to get the pen asap) Now I'm banking on not getting my pen until at least October with international shipping and all.... the excitement of others with their pens is getting to me!

I got an email a few days ago saying mine had been shipped. Was hoping it would show up today, but no joy. Tomorrow or Monday then. I can wait. Although I may not pre-order the next one.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I'm not one to concern myself with wear and tear on my pens - in fact I expect it with use, and embrace it as it reflects my usage.

HOWEVER, this is a clear-cut case that the acrylic or resin or whatever is too soft. I always post my pens, and even my workhorse, a Parker 51 Aero, does not have visible posting marks. To have it that bad after 4 days is really - in my opinion - a manufacture defect. To propose that one simply avoids posting their pen defeats the point.

Thanks for the post and i'm sorry for your frustration, although you have just saved me the inevitable disappointment.

I will go back to the store I bought my pen at (PW Akkerman in The Hague) next Wednesday. I've never dropped the pen or rubbed it, I only use it at home or when at school, so the scratches came from posting the pen I guess. But then again, a scratched pen after four days of use is a bit fast in my opinion.

Would be great if you can update us on how it all goes! I wonder how they will react and what they will say! :o

I got an email a few days ago saying mine had been shipped. Was hoping it would show up today, but no joy. Tomorrow or Monday then. I can wait. Although I may not pre-order the next one.

No news for me still....kind of defeats the purpose of pre-ordering. I got a bunch of other stuff on hold because i asked them to wait until the bird had landed. Evidently the pelikan is still flying, and the companion messenger pigeon got lost on the way to my place! :P

Edited by Ayami_109