M200 Smoky Quartz

BillH

Noticed an announcement in the Marketplace section of FPN for the new Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz, available for pre-order and due to ship in August. Nice looking, dark brown translucent pen, darker than the amber one from awhile back.

What do you think? I'm not sure I will pre-order it, but I will definitely buy one. Loving the ink too, which kind of surprised me, being a fan of Brilliant Brown.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• BillH

• Ayami_109

• TheRealMikeDr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's affordable too. E100........postage from Germany is lots cheaper than from the States....due to the German Government pays the previously retired when they cut loose the post office, unlike the States, where UPS&FedEx bribed Congress to make the USPS immediately pay for all past and future retirees. UPS and FedEx bribed Congress real good, having them pass a law that says the US postal system can't bribe Congress, like they can.

The US postal service was once the best in the world........but corruption can't be cured.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hmmm.... I find this very tempting. I have a Cognac and really like the brown colour of this one, certainly seems a good deal darker to me. And it's surprisingly affordable (less than I paid for my Cognac).

Looking forward to adding one to my collection. A lot of brown out of Hannover recently. Looks like a cola color on product shots. Will have to wait and see it in person.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Sorry, I wish it could be other colour. There are so many brown oriented Pelikan pens. Just my 2 cents.

It's a match for the LE ink............colors come in waves.......go back a few years and you had three or four blue pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I like it OK, but I bet the middle looks black once you put ink in it. So you'll have a black pen with brown cap and dark brown piston knob -- and that's if its not darker than Pelikan's promo pics show, lol.

I know that the GBP is not worth very much recently but crikey, £136 for a M200 Pelikan, it's a bit too rich for me. Shame because it looks gorgeous.

First read about this the day before yesterday and this thread came as a surprise to me because it had completely left my mind! Never gave the thing another thought for two days. Thus I conclude this pen has failed to grab me. :lol:

First read about this the day before yesterday and this thread came as a surprise to me because it had completely left my mind! Never gave the thing another thought for two days. Thus I conclude this pen has failed to grab me. :lol:

Perhaps, as sargetalon has alluded, Pelikan has gone too often to the Brown well the past few years? I hesitate to say it out loud, still hoping for an M600 Tort... but yes, something other than Brown or Blue might be an interesting change.

Pretty. I like it better than cognac. But I'm waiting to see what the 600 release--if there is one--will be before I make any other pen decisions ths year. Any idea about that one?

​Yawn ... Sorry don't mean to diss the folks in Hanover but, .... as has been duly noted there is no shortage of brown and brown tone Pelkians released in the recent past. As brown pens go this is a nice looking pen and even though brown pans are at the top of my chart (right after green pen), this isn't a game changer by any means and for that reason ... I'm out.

If they had come out with a brown tortoise, mottled like real tortoise shell, or perhaps a pen something like the Piccadilly with ribbons of dark chocolate, mocha and taupe, now that might turn my head. It would certainly be a game changer but I fear that is too much change for the buttoned down collars at Pelikan HQ. This does raise an interesting question however: if not brown, what other color would you have suggested? As mentioned , they have pretty much gone through the blues, the greens are somewhat covered and even the red side of the palette has been touched on. The only spot on the color wheel missing (as near as I can tell is ..... (drum roll please) , yellow. I would not buy a yellow pen but that is what I think is missing (maybe a grey?). Beyond that it seems to me that the Pelikan folks are doomed to this sort of mixed reviews unless they can shed the cocoon and spread their wings. How abut an aluminum M200? and once you have crossed that threshold the range of colors of anodized aluminum is limited only by the imagination, a resource which I fear is in short supply at Pelikan HQ.

Just my day-off-work ramblings or maybe heat stroke, I was working in the yard and it is 'sunny', We don't know what to do on sunny days here in the PNW, ... (sunscreen, sun glasses, where did I leave those things?)

The ink on the other hand has caught my eye. My favorite Brown ink is Diamine Chocolate, I have only tried a couple samples of other browns and was not impressed. I'd like to try samples of some of the Iroshizuku brown tones but I'm too lazy or cheap to hunt them down.

So here is an offer or plea to any of you who are fist in line for this pen/ink combo: I will be happy to pay all costs associated for a small sample vial of this ink, and I will throw in a couple bucks for your time and trouble. You know how to get in touch and this note is out in the cyber world now so hope I hear from you. Since this is an 'IOTY' I won't be upset if you are not to hot to send some of the stuff my way. On the other hand, if you don't much care for the ink, think of me as a resource to recoup a small portion of your losses.

Best,

Dr Codfish

Pretty. I like it better than cognac. But I'm waiting to see what the 600 release--if there is one--will be before I make any other pen decisions ths year. Any idea about that one?

If brown isn't your fancy, perhaps something in white? ;-)

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

A silver and white m605? That would be so pretty! I'm going out on a limb and wish it were something like the New York or mixed with some other neutral? Or blue?

Perhaps, as sargetalon has alluded, Pelikan has gone too often to the Brown well the past few years? I hesitate to say it out loud, still hoping for an M600 Tort... but yes, something other than Brown or Blue might be an interesting change.

Maybe a purple or red demonstrator or even a highlighter.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

You're killin' me here Joshua :lol:

Off Topic: how's the new house?

Personally, I think it was always going to be an uphill struggle to better the Amethyst version.....my absolute favourite so far.

I must say that while I'm not that big of a fan of demonstrators the Smokey Quartz color is quite nice. Although I keep hoping that at some point they'll reissue the Café Crème....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I must say that while I'm not that big of a fan of demonstrators the Smokey Quartz color is quite nice. Although I keep hoping that at some point they'll reissue the Café Crème....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Agreed. The Cafe Creme is my favourite "reasonably priced" modern Pelikan. I will own one someday... Just can't quite justify the current prices I see, considering I'll still have to swap out the nib for a vintage 14k to match my preferences.

I see this one being an "Amethyst for those who prefer brown". I find it more appealing, personally. That brown and gold... mmm...