Review Of Asa Bheeshma In Graphite, Sheaffer Inlaid Nib

bobje

fpn_1498442016__bheeshma-hero-800px.jpg

fpn_1498441985__bheeshma-script-label-80

The ASA Bheeshma is named after a mythic Indian commander, an archer who ultimately died on a bed of arrows. Suspended in mid-air, his head unsupported, Bheeshma asked for a pillow appropriate to a warrior. That turned out to be three more arrows, tips up.

The architect Vaibhav Mehandiratta named the pen after this epic character, after collaborating with passionate friends in India to design it. They included Prithwijit Chaki, a financial consultant; L. Subramaniam, founder of ASA Pens; and other pen warriors.

These two themes, arrows and friendships, define the pen for me. After completing the design, Chaki commissioned a Bheeshma from ASA in 2015, and orders from other clients followed. About a year later, on a pen-component shopping safari in New Delhi, Chaki found a 14-karat gold Sheaffer inlaid nib and offered to help me work with Subramaniam to incorporate the nib into the overall design -- a kind of large version of a Nakaya Piccolo.

Sheaffer's elegant nib resembles nothing so much as an arrowhead, and it's paired with a gray, quartz-like acrylic material that forms the graphite shaft of the arrow -- its barrel and cap. The acrylic was sourced from a stash of former Conway-Stewart material at the Turners Workshop in Newcastle upon Tyne, then shipped to the ASA shop in Chennai. But enough back story.

Details

The nib writes well and with considerable feedback, probably because it's an extra fine. I've forgotten what filling system was used in the nib's former life, but it now exists as a bulb filler, with the sac protected by a metal sleeve. The pen is 151 millimeters long, capped, and 135 mm uncapped. The cap and barrel are 15 mm in diameter, and the section is 10 mm, meaning that there's a considerable step-down. The inlaid section is 25 mm long, however, providing plenty of space for fingers to seat themselves before they reach the threads -- which are smooth enough to grip, anyway. I don't know how much the pen weighs, but it's mostly acrylic, so it's light. The pen is clipless, and a bronze snake ring serves as a roll-stopper.

In Conclusion

The Bheeshma is a sharp tool that fits my hand comfortably, writes cursive script with precision, and holds a respected position in my quiver of pens. Any army attempting to oppose Bheeshma should beware. A powerful cadre of friends supports him, and they are building a daunting armory of writing instruments.

fpn_1498442090__bheeshma-two-parts-800px

fpn_1498442119__bheeshma-three-parts-800

fpn_1498442142__bheeshma-sheaffer-inlaid

fpn_1498442174__bheeshma-barrel-clip-800

fpn_1498442193__bheeshma-barrel-material

fpn_1498442261__writing-sample-scan-800p

fpn_1498442292__bheeshma-writing-close-u

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobje

• amberleadavis

• subbucal

• zaddick

Very fine work. Congratulations!

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

A very fantastic review of Bheeshma... Thanks a lot.. The pictures are beautiful.. Happy to see the brass snake roll stopper finding its place.

Wish you all the happiness and joy of writing

Lovely nib choice for a very handsome pen. I especially enjoyed your introduction to this pen; thank you for sharing it with us.

A superb review Bob...and what a pen ASA has been produced...awesome...thank you..and your handwriting has made a perfect justice to this beautiful writing instrument..

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

T4, Mr. Subramaniam, Vis, BP, Anders, thank you for the kind words. Sagar, your own scripts are beautiful.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Beautiful.

Who did the snake clip?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Superlative.

Thoroughly enjoyable read.

Thanks.

Fred

nice snake

redactin'.....A Yoshi raw bronze roll-stopper........?

Edited by Freddy

Thank you for an enjoyable read. I definitely see the Nakaya influence in the closed pen. An excellent choice.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Freddy, Zaddick, thank you. Amber, the bronze wrap ring came from a vendor on Etsy, but I can't find it available. But there are some others similar.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Hmm.... I'll start looking.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Great looking pen Bob, and an excellent review.

Both pen and handwriting are stunning.

Again you've shown, and explained beautifully why this is more than "just a pen".

It's a personal piece of handmade art with a story and a history.

MAGICAL

Ian

Dear Bob,

Thank you for sharing a fantastic review of a beautiful pen. I also have to admit that every time I see your reviews, I am mesmerized by how you weave the different strands into a cohesive plot duly decorated by extremely well composed artistic photographs. And your penmanship is worth dying for :)

Kudos once again for sharing such a wonderful review and thank you for the kind mention.

Regards,

Prithwijit "Chaki"

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Looks very neat, and great review.

Is it possible to acquire this model (with a regular nib, not the sheaffer unit)? I don't see it on the Asapens website.

Looks very neat, and great review.

Is it possible to acquire this model (with a regular nib, not the sheaffer unit)? I don't see it on the Asapens website.

Dear Sir,

Bheeshma can be made from Ebonite or Acrylic materials used in my pens.

However, the material and nib of this unit was provided by Bob.

However option for similar pen, with JoWo nib unit and any material from my pens can be made..

Hope I could be helpful

Best regards

Chaki, Dinuraj, Ian, Gopool, Feanaaro, many thanks for the kind words.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK