Moonstone - Monteverde (Gemstone Collection)

visvamitra

Monteverde is part of Yafa company. Some time ago the company offered wide array of new inks with Ink ITF™ - new Ink Treatment Formula that's supposed to drastically improve ink-flow quality, extend cap-off time and improve ink drying time on paper. After trying two inks I can agree it's not just marketing - the inks behave very well.

New colors are divided into two series. The newest one is called GEMSTONES.

fpn_1498288355__gemstone_monetverde.jpg

I admit I have a problem with this name as Pelikan started their Gemstone collection (Edelstein inks) years ago and was succesfull. I do realise that this name can't be copyrighted but I feel something's off. Sure, it's easy to base marketing on proven and succesfull ideas but I feel just a little bit of disapproval. I believe they could have created something new, especially that the colors are rather interesting and eye-catching.

Anyway the line has inks

1. Amethyst
  2. Charoite
  3. Erinite
  4. Fireopal
  5. Garnet
  6. Moonstone
  7. Olivine
  8. Ruby
  9. Sapphire
  10. Topaz

I appreciate the fact that Monteverde posted on their website data about these inks ph:

fpn_1498288810__gemstone_monetverde_ph.j

I've ordered two inks from Gemstone line. After a week of testing ( using at least two converters of each) I'm ready to share some thoughts.

Bottle

fpn_1498373045__moonstone_monteverde_bot

fpn_1498373058__moonstone_monteverde_bot

The inks can be bought in 30 (and 90) ml bottle. The bottle is made of lass, has simple design and id pretty functional - stable and with wide neck allowing to fill quite comfortably (as long as there's more than 60 % of the ink content in it) evem monster fountain pens straight from the bottle.

Ink

fpn_1498373072__moonstone_monteverde_is.

This ink caught my attention as it displays interesting hue. It's fairly well saturated but not as much as Olivine that I reviewed yesterday. It shades strongly, even in finer nibs. It's also very paper-sensitive - in some papers a green tone will be visible (Moleskine) while on others it may appear to lean toward purple just a little bit. The flow is smooth and the ink feels well lubricated even in dry pens. Some feathering and bleedthrough will be experienced only on crappiest papers (hello Moleskine). Drying time is reasonable. Also, it's impressive that the ink doesn't dry out when you leave the pen uncapped. Even after three minutes the pen starts without any skipping when you put the nib to the paper.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1498373090__moonstone_monteverde_rk.

Color ID

fpn_1498373176__moonstone_monteverde_l_3

Color range

fpn_1498373199__moonstone_monteverde_l_4

Rhodia, Kaweco Sport, double broad nib

fpn_1498373111__moonstone_monteverde_rho

fpn_1498373159__moonstone_monteverde_rho

Leuchtturm1917, Caran d'Ache Ecridor, medium nib

fpn_1498373212__moonstone_monteverde_l_1

fpn_1498373233__moonstone_monteverde_l_2

fpn_1498373266__moonstone_monteverde_l_5

Oxford, Hero 5028, stub 1.9

fpn_1498373285__moonstone_monteverde_ox.

fpn_1498373304__moonstone_monteverde_ox_

Tsubame, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

fpn_1498373324__moonstone_monteverde_tsu

fpn_1498373340__moonstone_monteverde_tsu

fpn_1498373351__moonstone_monteverde_tsu

Moleskine, Kaweco Classic Sport, BB

fpn_1498373370__moonstone_monteverde_mol

fpn_1498373398__moonstone_monteverde_mol

fpn_1498373411__moonstone_monteverde_mol

Water resistance

fpn_1498373440__moonstone_monteverde_h2o

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Carrau

• NicolausPiscator

• KellyMcJ

The color on the bottle's label would indicate to me that the ink in the bottle would be a kind of brown, but it looks like mostly gray. Is that true?

I'm abit confused this ink is moonstone right? Not olivine, correct? (that you mention starting with?)

This ink looks like it has a brown tinge/undertone on some papers and absolutely grey on others... interesting...

Vis - this was your 4000 post!!!

Thank you for the review,

I like this ink, seems like a darker (brownier?) cousin of Cacao du Bresil.

My Caran d'Ache Ecridor (M) behaves moody with Cacao, I might try with Moonstone!

Agree on Edelstein "copy-paste" marketing comments...

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Thank you for the review, Vis. It is am interesting ink, reminding me of a more saturated Kyoto Kyo iro Stone Road of Gion. It would be interesting to see a comparison with those two, Cacao de Brasil, and Pelikan Smoky Quartz if anyone is fortunate enough to have that collection.

As orange the inks which have an indecisive colour between grey and brown seem to be en vogue. I would not associate it with moonstone, however... Thank you, dear visvamitra, for your review!

Wow!!! Thanks for that comparison-impressive, as always. The greyness of Moonstone and Sepia are well demonstrated when compared to the others.

Great review that presents the ink perfectly. Really interesting colour - looks a brown-grey to me. I like it when inks walk the line between different colours, and Moonstone pulls this off very nicely.

Vis, keep up the good work.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

By the way, Vis, clever choice of background in your photos. With the shading demonstrated in your written samples, one could have called this ink Split Rail Fence(weathered appearance of wood between brown and grey).

Fantastic review by Vis as usual. Anyone have any idea why there is such a disparity in pH between these inks? Some are pretty acidic, while most are moderately alkaline.

Edited by jmccarty3

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Nice color!

Fantastic review by Vis as usual. Anyone have any idea why there is such a disparity in pH between these inks? Some are pretty acidic, while most are moderately alkaline.

I was wondering about this as well. And do other ink brands have similar ink-pH trends? Although I haven't looked into it, I would assume not. Would it be not problematic if inks of wildly different pH's are mixed together?

I can't tell - is this a more sepia tinted grey? I'm REALLY looking for one of those.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 3 weeks later...

i'm liking this color tone of brownish-grey. good for everyday formal writing.

-rudy-

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful review and great comparisons. I will add it to my list.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today