FPIndian12

I finally got my 51(yay!) :) However, the pen was damaged during transist and there was a deep scratch on barrel which I removed using 1500 grit wet sand paper (read from a forum here) and now I have to remove microscratches from barrel and small scratch|es on cap.Can simichrome be used? And from where can I find replacements (s.s or lustraloy) caps?

post-135877-0-21891800-1498234781_thumb.jpg

post-135877-0-21959800-1498234797_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPIndian12

• Beechwood

• mitto

• Erik Dalton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be able to bring it up a good and smooth surface with simichrome, but I'd use a light touch. Then follow up with wet 12000 grit. Micromesh for a killer shine. A coat of renaissance wax finishes it off and will protect from microscratches.

You should be able to bring it up a good and smooth surface with simichrome, but I'd use a light touch. Then follow up with wet 12000 grit. Micromesh for a killer shine. A coat of renaissance wax finishes it off and will protect from microscratches.

Unfortunately, only sand papers are available in my area. :(

Solvol autosol is available in India through Amazon at a cost of 230 (cheaper than the price in England), it is almost as good as simichrome. use a tiny amount on a very soft cloth and use minimal pressure, let the polish do the work.

Car or motorycle accessory shops are also likely to sell Solvol Autosol.

Edited by Maximan

Can microfiber do the job?

May be too soft, but try it. As long as you don't get impatient, take your time and use a light touch you should be fine with whatever you do. Remember, sometimes setting the work aside for a night will give you time to think, and a fresh view in the morning. Things always look better in the morning....well most things..hehehe

Chrissy, Ron is a long way from India. I think he's on his own for this one.

Your cap left Janesville with a matte finish not polished to a shine.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

sandpaper!! - I can hear the wincing from here. If this is an aerometric Lustraloy cap, then originally they appear not to have had a shiny s.s. appearance - so assuming this is a Lustraloy finish, perhaps not a good idea to overdo the shine. There were special polished s.s. finishes on some caps - and the two finishes do look very different.

How about wire wool and metal polish, finishing with an automotive product if you need to - but Micro Mesh may well over do the shine for a Lustraloy cap .............. but please no sandpaper.

Perhaps the pen should have been returned if it was received with scratches - but the barrel will benefit from some really fine (3000 + grit w.&d. papers) - finishing with Micro Mesh creams or the other automotive products mentioned here.

Sorry to seem dim - to what currency does the figure 230 refer, please? :)

P.S. yes, Farmboy is quite correct - I'd not seen his words before posting mine. But guess we must remember that not everyone understands the full range of Parker cap finishes.

Edited by PaulS

Your cap left Janesville with a matte finish not polished to a shine.

I thought it looked like one of the shiny ones. Maybe not as I look now.

Solvol autosol is available in India through Amazon at a cost of 230 (cheaper than the price in England), it is almost as good as simichrome. use a tiny amount on a very soft cloth and use minimal pressure, let the polish do the work.

Car or motorycle accessory shops are also likely to sell Solvol Autosol.

Sure that it works on the barrel and the cap?

Sorry to seem dim - to what currency does the figure 230 refer, please? :)

Indian currency, works out under £3.

Sure that it works on the barrel and the cap?

Yes, been doing this for over 50 years and long before any of the current products for pen repair and maintenance were available, had to improvise with what could be bought.

You will not get a real shine on the barrel with Solvol but small scratches will be abraded away. As I said use a very small amount, the equivalent of 3 grains of rice should be enough for the cap.

I am assuming that you cannot buy the preferred products to shine the pen, that are mentionned above, in India. If you have nothing else use a spray furnture polish which has a high wax content, perhaps intended for wood.

Edited by Maximan

You might also want to try finger-nail buffing sticks. Check out a beauty supply store, the sticks come in various grits, as with any other smoothing and polishing job, start with coarsest grit and end with finest.

Only 51 Specials (black jewel) had shiny caps. All others were frosted in one of two ways - Vacumatics had a scratch buff finish, aerometrics had an etched surface which we duplicate using a grit blasting technique. You can get a decent scratch buff by removing the clip and using a medium scratch pad and short strokes. Not as good a when done with the right technique, but better than scratched shiny. Mask the shiny cap "band" though so it is preserved.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Let the cap remain as it is. It is at least a 50-60 years old pen. It should tell it is a vintage pen cap.

Khan M. Ilyas

Let the cap remain as it is. It is at least a 50-60 years old pen. It should tell it is a vintage pen cap.

I was thinking pretty much the same, particularly as the user may be relatively new and not particularly savvy when it comes to removing the clip and having access to western repair materials although I can understand that he doesnt want to see scratches on his cap, I would be the same.

Yes, I know he has no access to western (pen) repair materials in India. Neither do we have that access here in Pakistan. In fact there esist no pen repairer/restorer in whole of South Asia.

Khan M. Ilyas