Goatskin Vellum Drying Problem?

sidthecat

According to The Daily Telegraph, the Queen's Speech is being delayed - not because of the chaos in the much-diminished Conservative Party, but because it takes SO LONG for the ink to dry on the fancy archival paper (referred to as "goatskin") the speech is printed on.

So, I wondered if anyone has used this stuff? Does it take forever for ink to dry on it?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• sidthecat

• inkstainedruth

• inkypete

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't, but I know people in the SCA who have used vellum for award scrolls (and a guy who actually made his own vellum.

I suspect it depends entirely on what ink is used. Medieval inks were often made of lamp black (stick a candle flame under something like a ceramic plate to collect the soot) but I don't remember how it's made beyond that.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Telegraph hastened to mention that no actual goats were harmed in the making of this speech. "Goatskin" seems to refer to a particular type of archival paper, which I suspect is made from 100% rag. I bought a piece of real vellum and sent it to my sister to play with. She's an artist. She's also intimidated by it.

I believe the real issue is that they couldn't get the goat to stand still.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I've got some samples of goatskin vellum and had no appreciable drying difficulties with sumi ink, Higgin's Eternal Black, Walnut ink, or a variety of fountain pen inks.

I also understand that Her Majesty is going to deliver her speech (once it's dry) sans regalia. Perhaps she doesn't trust the sort of people they send to Parliament anymore.

I believe the real issue is that they couldn't get the goat to stand still.

The problem in Aus. is that most of the goats are feral (along with many voters, but that's a different problem).

Following Sandy1's linky, what does the Queen's bodyguard do if he/she actually finds a coupla dozen barrels of gunpowder?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The problem in Aus. is that most of the goats are feral (along with many voters, but that's a different problem).

Following Sandy1's linky, what does the Queen's bodyguard do if he/she actually finds a coupla dozen barrels of gunpowder?

Ah, I reckon HM's body guard is comprised of multiple people.

(At times I trot along inside the diamond, disguised as a squaddie.)

Barrels of gunpowder? Well fireworks on a mid-Summer's eve seems appropriate.

Along with a morsel of swan roasted over wood from our apple orchard...

But what music to play??? (I am soo tired of Vivaldi.)

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Okay then. I heard back from someone I know who is an SCA scribe (she also runs the amateur madrigal choir I'm in). She said that she hadn't noticed a lot of difference in dry time between paper and vellum (since that was what I thought we were discussing), unless the vellum isn't properly prepared and is still a little greasy, although she also said the ink is more likely to float on top until it is dry, rather than soak ink as it would on paper. She didn't say what sort of ink she was using -- I'm guessing that in her case it's likely to be India ink in a dip pen for texts, and watercolor or gouache paint for the illuminations.

I do know that she has had discussions with one of her apprentices (who is also in the choir, as it happens) about ordering specific papers to use on scroll assignments.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Just heard back a bit more from the same person.

1. IG inks may/will (over time) "etch itself" into the skin as it oxidizes.

2. If it's "goatskin" it's actually parchment (not vellum -- that comes from calfskin, according to her).

Who knew? :rolleyes:

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In a wholly apolitical way, I think it could start another wonderful tradition if the speech were etched into the prepared hides of royal ancestors.

I'll get my coat.

X

In a wholly apolitical way, I think it could start another wonderful tradition if the speech were etched into the prepared hides of royal ancestors.

I'll get my coat.

While I consider playing tricks on the dead to be poor form, I hope you return to fetch your hat, and that a mug of builders tea / pot of ale and pleasant conversation will encourage you to stay. I promise that I'll not put you to work thinning the carrots - eight yr-old vegans out on a day pass do that chore.

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

They usually leave the vellum in the House of Commons. Apparently there is enough hot air generated to dry even the wettest of MPs inks on vellum.

I'll get my coat too...........

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present