Help! Ink Spilled On My Hands And Desk.

Kuss

Bought a tube of that stuff... doesn't seem to do anything for me :( wasn't cheap.

Conversely,... Amodex is what I reach for when there are ink stains on pens, fabric, furniture & myself. Sometimes it takes two applications for Amodex to be effective.

Most of my inks are not particularly saturated anyways (thus not having greater dye load), as I love shading inks.

As others may have said before, the stains on your fingers is a badge of honour among pen folk, but that badge does not extend to fine furniture & the like.....

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• graystranger

• tamiya

• ParkerDuofold

What do you then use to remove the smell of the vinegar? :D

Ammonia. :D

- Anthony

I previously have used Amodex and it works ok on inky hands...however...I recently purchased Ink Zap from Anderson Pens and it's the best ink remover I've ever found for hands. It comes in a five ounce jar.

For my desk, I just wipe it off with a damp paper towel. My desk finish is sealed. However, if your desk is bare wood the ink will be absorbed and the desk permanently dyed.

Mary

• 3 months later...

I've found that the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers really are what they're called.

One of my pens sprang a bad leak, and I got Pilot Namiki Blue all over my hands and even on my legs (I was wearing shorts). As anyone who's used Namiki Blue knows, it's rather water resistant once it dries, and can be a monster to clean off. I was in a hurry and grabbed the nearest sponge at hand in my bathroom. It happened to be a Magic Eraser Bathroom scrub, and it cleaned the ink right off.

I would definitely take a shower afterwards, because the bathroom cleaner element probably isn't something you want to leave on your skin too long, but it took the ink right off.

I don't think that would work on wood, but maybe a wood cleaner on the plain Magic Eraser would do the trick?

- Asa-gao on hands? Plain soap and water, unless you are at work and need to clean the ink immediately...in which case, it doesn't matter what you order. InkNix was great, and whatever Indy-Pen-Dance sells is likely just as good, but Lava Soap is good enough. With ordinary hand-soap, most inks will be gone by morning.

- Desk? Probably impossible if the desk is wood with any sort of grain exposed.

Special inks, or classic 1955 Quink or Skrip? Will require some scraping on your hands. That's why our parents, in the mid-50s, wanted us to use washable inks. That's why people have always been careful about liquid inks.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I've found that the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers really are what they're called.

I don't think that would work on wood, but maybe a wood cleaner on the plain Magic Eraser would do the trick?

It's worth a try, I am often surprised by what a Magic Eraser can remove. Using them on black marks on walls is fudging wizardry. I also found them to be great for removing ink from hands. And IKEA laminate furniture when I was messing around with my half full piston fillers...

Many of the chemicals mentioned in the comments above will remove too much of the oil in your skin - ammonia, strong bleach, etc., making your skin very dry and somewhat damaging it. If you get bleach on your skin you can remove the odor by rinsing in household white ammonia. Kills the odor (and the slimy feeling) instantly. By the way, the slimy feeling from bleach or strong alkalis is the natural fat/oil in the skin being dissolved by the chemical.

I know graystranger corrected the ammonia/vinegar transposition but the former industrial safety inspector in me is still compelled to state that one should never, ever mix sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach) and ammonium hydroxide (household ammonia). The resulting reaction releases fumes that can cause permanent lung damage.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

My best luck was with Lava soap and a fingernail brush. Amazingly washing your hair actually gets a lot of ink off your hands.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

It's worth a try, I am often surprised by what a Magic Eraser can remove. Using them on black marks on walls is fudging wizardry. I also found them to be great for removing ink from hands. And IKEA laminate furniture when I was messing around with my half full piston fillers...

Be careful with them. They're literally just superfine sandpaper.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I cannot remove this post after entering it, it won't let me remove the post.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation