Vintage Vacumatics: Too Small For Big Hands?

senzen

I placed a bid on a silver vacumatic... Only to then realize I am in way more need of socks than another pen :P . Maybe that terrible 80's fashion of going sock-less has come back.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• Bo Bo Olson

• ParkerDuofold

• Sandy1

Good Luck! I'm laying in wait to place a bid on another Parker Duofold that I don't need!!

Blast it - got sniped at the last second - lost again!

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

Vacumatics prices seem to be pretty stable. Why not just buy one and see how it feels?

God bless the enablers.

I wear size L or XL in every glove I have. Not "huge" hands, and I shook Hulk Hogan's hand once and it looked like a child shaking hands with a bear...but still, I have "large" hands, just not "huge," or "bear paw" hands.

I have a standard size Vacumatic, it's about 4 5/8" long from the tip of the nib to the end of the blind cap, and I have no issues with it, I don't even usually post it.

I also have a demi size Vacumatic, she's 4 1/4" from nib tip to end of blind cap. That one tends to get posted if I'm doing much more than a quick note, but still, she posts well, and the nib is a dream, so she stays inked up most of the time.

The only bad part about getting into vintage pens? They can ruin you for the modern stuff. Once I got my first Vacumatic, I started selling off my more modern stuff so I could go vintage.

I can stop any time.

-Me

:) ....vintage can really ruin modern, if one wants a lively nib and a well balanced pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

:) ....vintage can really ruin modern, if one wants a lively nib and a well balanced pen.

Hi,

Agreed,

but I will not part with either of my two Pink Lamy Safaris.

On the cafe terrace, PLS + Skrip Turquoise can be a conversation starter. While Waterman's W5 + Aurora Blue effectiveness as a beau lure seems iffy.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Once you get used to those modern oversized pens it is hard to get used to vintage standard sized pens, and vice versa.

If you can use a #2 pencil and a Bic ball point you can use just about any vintage sized fountain pen

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

• 2 years later...

It seems like I started this thread ages ago; finally got a Silver Pearl Vacumatic, in good nick, from a knowledgable and trusted seller (Speerbob); big, smooth nib, no start up problems. At the end of the inscription there seems to be a 6 and a dot; it's about the same size as the Pelikan m200/m400, as noted by pajaro; don't know what version that makes it. I hold it close to the threads, still comfortable. I have to admit my first impression, like with my 75, is that it felt a little chintzy, a little too light, but that impression soon went away after writing with it. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

20012503043624960416616767.jpg

I had to think long and hard about which ink to use, since they have such a reputation for being a hassle to clean, eventually went for Tsuyu Kusa, hopefully it will be a good match even though it comes out stunning from a medium Professional Gear. Not sure if it would be safe to put a little bit of silicone grease on the threads so it feels a little more smooth when capping.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

It seems like I started this thread ages ago; finally got a Silver Pearl Vacumatic, in good nick, from a knowledgable and trusted seller (Speerbob); big, smooth nib, no start up problems. At the end of the inscription there seems to be a 6 and a dot; it's about the same size as the Pelikan m200/m400, as noted by pajaro; don't know what version that makes it. I hold it close to the threads, still comfortable. I have to admit my first impression, like with my 75, is that it felt a little chintzy, a little too light, but that impression soon went away after writing with it. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

20012503043624960416616767.jpg

I had to think long and hard about which ink to use, since they have such a reputation for being a hassle to clean, eventually went for Tsuyu Kusa, hopefully it will be a good match even though it comes out stunning from a medium Professional Gear. Not sure if it would be safe to put a little bit of silicone grease on the threads so it feels a little more smooth when capping.

Congratulations. That is a very nice looking pen. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Congratulations. That is a very nice looking pen. :)

Thank you! It's so much the product of its audacious era.

B. Russell

both of my vacumatics are thoroughly normal sized and post quite nicely. I have size XL hands and have no problems posted or not.

Unless your hands are hilariously huge, the regular size vacumatic will be perfectly fine. And the stacked coin celluloid is gorgeous. I like the silver, mine are green and brown.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)