Again - Is Delta Going Out Of Business?

Ted F

I was recently advised by a Delta Dealer in Europe that they are no longer being provided Delta Product, that manufacturing has ceased, and that the future of the company is under review.

This seems to be consistent with what was previously being reported in this forum as to comments made by a Japanese Dealer.

Their product availability does seem to be diminishing in the United States...fewer dealers, and less models being offered.

Th first odd sign that I observed was when martemodena began to offer lots of Delta product at greatly reduced prices from what Delta Dealers were offering the same products for...then Delta Dealers began to drop off carrying the Delta products. Now even Martemodena is offering a reduced number of Delta products and has transitioned to similar products being offered under the martemodena name.

So something has significantly changed .

I hope that Delta continues on as a going concern. They have provided some wonderful products over the years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• fabri00

• Ted F

• Barkingpig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For sure making voices about a company circulating is a good and inexpansive method to make a company popular ......

• 2 weeks later...

So the latest on Delta according to the newsletter from the Japanese fountain pen magazine Shuminobungubako...

Delta's Japanese distributer stated that the Italian company and its workers still exist. However, it is plagued by lack of craftsmen and capital, so their factory's not in operation.

From the information coming out of Italy (note: the magazine said it was unable to speak directly with the company so they had to ask around), it seems that Delta's boss is still working everyday and there's been talks of possible new backers.

Here is an English translation of what stationery magizine Kyomi no Bungobakko sent out in email today.

■ I covered "Delta's now"

I will talk about Italian brand, Delta.

Delta is now in a very difficult situation.

Although it seems that information such as "bankruptcy" is also flowing in the net, it seems that unfounded false statements and the like are diffused as it is, so I tried collecting accurate information at the present time and information on the surroundings .

Diamond, the agency in Japan, is announcing the following (outlined).

○ Delta has been closed for long due to management difficulties.

○ Some employees have a company, but can not operate the factory due to the absence of producers and lack of funds.

Diamonds are dealing with the following problems.

○ There are abundant stocks depending on items, and they will continue to develop in Japan.

○ We can not respond to customers who do not have inventory.

○ We will respond to repairs in the country in the future.

○ If you can not respond with parts in the country, repair will be impossible.

Since I could not interview directly in Delta this time, I tried interviewing with concerned parties such as Italy.

"Now, Delta has survived the company and the factory, and President Nino has worked everyday, there are talks that some candidates for investment are also coming out, and repeated consideration for future reconstruction It seems to be in the middle. "

In "Hobby Stationery Box No. 24" in 2012, I report on the state of the factory in Delta. Factory was greatly expanded with capital investment in 2007. It seems that the timing of this capital investment seemed to be bad and overlapped with the temporary decrease in sales at the Lehman shock seems to be a factor in leave of absence.

• 2 weeks later...

The Delta Facebook page is still active, but there are posts of employers (or ex-employers) against the owners about the fact that they do not receive their salary from mid 2016.

Probably they are trying to recover but the situation could be critical.

Alfredo

• 1 month later...

Just got this notice from Flax, a pen store in LA:

"We are sad to announce that Delta Pen Company is closing their doors.
In reaction to this news, all our Delta Pens are now on sale 40% off!"

It is very sad...another Great Italian Pen Manufacturer out of Business...

Delta made some great Fountain pens...

+1

Enjoyed some great Delta pens over the years.

Seems like the past few years it's been like Agatha Christie 'Ten Little Indians' in the pen industry.

Sad day indeed....

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I just made contact with a Rep from the Delta US Distributor - Yafa.

I asked if Delta was out of business

The response was " yes, it would appear so"

This is sad news. My favorite pen model is the Stantuffo that Bryant at Chatterley would have made up in small runs (I think I have six of them). The thick body fits my hand well, the caps post, piston fill (captive converter?), and I like their generously sized 14k nibs (never bought into the fusion). YAFA has been very helpful in facilitating nib exchanges if Bryant didn't have the EF I prefer.

Very sad to learn of them closing. I have a few of the LE's that Bryant had produced and they were all very well made and had great nibs. That leaves Aurora, Montegrappa, and Visconti (without Dante) and Stipula (they appear to be running out of gas too). On the bright side, the folks at Armando Simoni Club appear to be making some very nice, albeit very expensive, pens in Italy.

Edited by lterry

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

Martemodena is releasing new models and limited editions continuously recently.

I'm curious to know who is producing that pens at this point .....

Delta's demise has been a long time coming, but it's still sad to see it happen. They made some beautiful pens. Here's my large Marmo Incrinato Stantuffo:

TpwwsJP.jpg

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Gutted about this.

I love my Deltas, and they will now, no doubt, start costing a bomb, meaning it's unlikely that I will be adding to my small but adored collection. :(

Ian

I came to Delta far too late. I got a Dolcevita and was very impressed with the quality. It's also one of the most comfortable pens I've ever held. I also have one of the new Martemodena branded Federico Stantuffos. It works well, it writes well (I like the piston and their nib is slightly wider than a standard #6, so it fits the pen in proportion a little better) but the cap threading is pretty poor (undecided whether I'll contact Martemodena about that...there's a "Lifetime warranty" but since I'm the second owner I'm not sure if they'll replace the cap).

It's a shame because otherwise, the pen seems solidly built. Aside from the lack of a sterling silver ring and no metal threads inside the blind cap, it's probably identical to a $500 Dolcevita piston. Everything feels solid, it has a nice heft, works smoothly, nothing rattles. If you have a gold #6 nib sitting around (and I'm sure most of us do), you can dress it up and make it like a Dolcevita Stantuffo. That's what I plan on doing.

I'm now kicking myself that I didn't come to Delta earlier. They made some stunning pens in the lovely Dolcevita mid-size. I'm sure that soon, whatever stock that's let will get gobbled up, and Ebay prices will skyrocker within 6 months.

Edited by Kevan

• 1 month later...

Very sad to learn of them closing. I have a few of the LE's that Bryant had produced and they were all very well made and had great nibs. That leaves Aurora, Montegrappa, and Visconti (without Dante) and Stipula (they appear to be running out of gas too). On the bright side, the folks at Armando Simoni Club appear to be making some very nice, albeit very expensive, pens in Italy.

Is Dante no longer working with Visconti? I understood that he was working on designing some pens for another pen maker but did not understand this to mean that he was no longer working with Visconti.

Long live the Empire!