White Feather Self Filling Fountain Pen?

Finepoint87

I recently picked up a "White Feather" self filling fountain pen on Ebay. I bid Sniped the pen & got it for $14. The pen arrived in Mint condition in its original case complete with filling instructions & a spare nib. Is there anyone who might know anything about the White Feather Pen company, & any possible pen models that my pen might be?

Edited by Finepoint87

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Finepoint87

• awa54

• Tefolim

• TFHS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That old thread is not very helpful as it's a Golden Star pen in a White Feather box.

White Feather (technically White Quill) was a brand used by the Dandong Pen Factory in norther China; the firm ceased trading some time in the 1990s, if memory serves.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Thank You for the Information. Here is pics of my White Feather Self Filling fountain pen. Based on my Pictures, Is there a Chance you might Know information about my pen?

post-137185-0-23443100-1497192941_thumb.jpg

post-137185-0-72500800-1497193047_thumb.jpg

Finepoint87,

I am afraid the pictures are not as informative as can be; I cannot see the pen uncapped, and the barrel removed to show the innards, and the cap picture showing the model number not clear enough to see it; it would be better to type out the markings as well. Sorry for not able to be more helpful.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

The Pen cap says "White Feather Model number 71-2. The Pen is operated by a "Self Filling" Capillary action mechanism. Thank you.

The Pen cap says "White Feather Model number 71-2. The Pen is operated by a "Self Filling" Capillary action mechanism. Thank you.

post-137185-0-29151200-1497295716_thumb.jpg

post-137185-0-11543100-1497295807_thumb.jpg

post-137185-0-51362300-1497295856_thumb.jpg

post-137185-0-05222900-1497295956_thumb.jpg

post-137185-0-28162500-1497295994_thumb.jpg

Certainly, Chinese-made. Soviet , did someone say ? I suggest that one of the intended markets might be Europe or USA, from the English printing. Please learn how it works, and maintain it well. What a nice piece for one's collection ! Thanks.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 3 months later...

White Feather 71-2, one of the three white feather gold nib self-filling fountain pen(1968-1978).(like 71, it also provides gold plated iridium point nib version)

71-2 have at least more than 4 kind of aluminum caps for example, panda, sail, lattice(yours), and a kind of 616-like.

first generation:71(jumbo),71-2,72(71-2≠72,72 is only iridium point nib)

second generation:71-3(=73),71-4(=74),78,79,76(71-2/72-like nib, while other second generation pens are hooded nib)

third generation:136 14k nib(71-2/72 like nib, 71-2/72/76 size)

the way of it filling is similar to waterman x-pen.

The box seems to be the version before 1975.

Dandong Fountain Pen Factory bankrupted in about 2004, in 1990s it was the third fountain pen factory in China.

The first chinese cartridge fountain pen is white feather 801 in mid 1970s.

white feather 610's second generation nib provided by CAS may be similar to Octanium.

• 2 years later...

Zombie thread resurrection! (sorry)

I have what appears to be a first gen. 71 (looks like a stainless cap, not aluminum) inbound from Japan, but it doesn't seem to have the ink cell in it anymore...

Does the feed lend its self to this pen being used as an eyedropper? I'm assuming that the barrel seals well enough to work that way, since there is no evidence of any sophisticated seals on the ink cell...

TIA to all who may provide insight on this!

David-

So many restoration projects...

• 2 years later...

I'm glad I found this thread.  I recently obtained a White Feather 71-2 with a black barrel from a Serbian seller.  The capillary insert appears to be unused, as does the entire pen.  It also came in the same White Feather wooden box as shown above by Finepoint87.  I haven't used it yet.  I purchased it, along with a Waterman X-Pen (from another seller), to add to my extensive capillary-fill fountain pen collection, which other than the White Feather and the X-Pen, is made up entirely of many capillary-fill Parker 61 FPs.  I hope at some point to ink up the 71-2 and the X-Pen.

• 8 months later...

Congratulations @donnweinberg  

Yeah, that makes sense. The word around town is that most of the premium models of White Feather, Peking Golden Star, and even some of the more upscale models of 1960's Hero pens, were mostly shipped off to Soviet Block contries in the 1960's-1980's. That thus explains why most of the rarer models of White Feather's and Golden Stars  I have seen for sale are coming out of Bulgaria, Serbia, Latvia, Poland, etc.

The White Feather 71-2 is a very interesting pen. Finding one in it's original box is quite rare theses days. I intend to keep mine in it's display case since it's mint. The vintage Chinese fountain pen Market has exploded in popularity recently and for good reason. Vintage brands such as White Feather, Rainbow, Peking Golden Star, Lily, Vintage Wingsung, and Vintage Hero are all well built pens, with many vintage models featuring 14k Gold nibs. In recent years the fountain pen community has recognized these vintage Chinese brands as hidden gems. The revival of the WingSung brand  and the start of modern production Wingsung fountain pens, has brought increased interest in vintage models of the same name sake.   Most of the White Feathers I have seen are now  going for a pretty penny even without the box. I also have another White Feather Capillary Filler but it's a pocket pen. White feather pens are solidly built. 

Please check out this thread next. It's an interesting read on another Fountain pen Network member's Vintage Chinese pen finds. 

@awa54

It's worth trying the eyedropper method, but I would recommend you to seal the threads with some silicone gel to be on the safe side since the 50-70yr old plastic threads of these pens  have an unpredictable sealing ability as the plastic ages.  

On 9/20/2022 at 7:37 PM, Finepoint87 said:

@awa54

It's worth trying the eyedropper method, but I would recommend you to seal the threads with some silicone gel to be on the safe side since the 50-70yr old plastic threads of these pens  have an unpredictable sealing ability as the plastic ages.  

Sadly my example has terrible feed fit and a hole in the barrel, not at all worth any effort to attempt to ink it... possibly a good parts pen for someone, though if they're all built this poorly, I'd think it would just be a waste of time.

On 9/21/2022 at 3:13 AM, TFHS said:

Interesting!71-2 with an inlaid arrow are relatively rare. 

I found some ads about White feather that can be used as a reference.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/mg5dsR8B7Rzv9XvhN7Bw8g

That's a great catalog! some of those look like very nice pens.

David-

So many restoration projects...