2017 Onoto Magna Tortoiseshell Review!

Ebonite And Ivory

A handsome array of Tortoises! You have the added weight in your Onoto, as well, don't you? I think it is a very nice addition. My one modern Conway Stewart, Churchill in Amber is more transparent that I imagined when ordering it & the "innards" being visible have always bothered me. Unless I hear from anyone with a different view, I have asked for the inner liner for the Onoto in Tortoiseshell.

I really do like the White Pelikan better than the Brown, my white seems to show the Tortoise better & I was surprised I would like it as much as I do. The size difference worried me, since I had only the 800 & had never seen the 600, until receipt; Once uncapped & in use I never notice it's smaller size.

Thank you for sharing these pens. I am sure they have provided much pleasure. I also enjoyed seeing my Parker Premier, resting along it's larger family. It is another pen that I forget it's size, when using, forgetting it is a 1980's pen.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ebonite And Ivory

• praxim

• Barkingpig

• penmanila

many thanks too! yes, my magna does have the liner, improving the heft and the opacity.

i guess i was lucky to spot this pen almost as soon as it came out in its first run. they still offered FPN members a substantial discount then, so i got mine for nearly $100 less.

the numbering was a matter of chance, but serendipitously, mine was 54/100--and i was born in 1954 ;)

i also just realized that onoto was (is?) based in norwich--where i had spent a year on a writing fellowship, so that made for an even more personal connection. i'll think of it as my norwich pen.

Check out my blog and my pens

The bexley simplicity is one I've never seen. Thanks for sharing!!! I'm on the lookout for one as a result, in time, with budget.

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

Agreed. This elegant box is far better than the many silly-themed and oversized boxes pushed by some of the larger Italian manufacturers. Simple & beautiful.

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

As one who shoves any such box into a large cardboard box in case of future sale by descendants, I am not sure the box is quite so compelling.

Edited by praxim

X

What DO you find beautiful if not that box?

I didn't mean that aggressively. Just playfully. :) all good.

No problem, Ebonite And Ivory, I took it as a fair question :). It is a matter entirely of priorities. I like wooden boxes (honest, guv) except that I have not the waste space to leave boxes on display inefficiently containing only a pen (and anything added would be out of place). All pens by preference live in zippered cases for brand grouping and easy access, and at decision time it is the pen I buy not the box. Thus, when considering something like this pen then the box is an encumbrance for me now, a feature for eventual sale. That explains why it is not compelling to me. I did not say I did not like it, as boxes go.

X

Good point. I may need to think through my strategy. I have ALL box & papers for numerous pens all aimed at resale value. But admittedly, I have flipping boxes everywhere. Inner boxes & then outer boxes, too... yikes. You may have it right. I'll consider chucking some & keeping the pretty ones.

By "chucking" I assume you mean "storing out of the way"? I even have the box for the Lamy 2000, my cheapest pen bought new; somewhere.

X

I save every paper & every inner & outer box. I even save the ink cartridges. :)

Thanks for an excellent review of a beautiful pen. And thanks also for helping my good friend, BarkingPig, acquire one of his dream pens. You have made him a very happy man!

That Bexley Simplicity is stunning!

I'm all about that bexley! Keeping my eyes open for it. Pig is a great guy. Thriled for him. So far I think this onoto is the best tortoiseshell around.