truthpil

I just got my 2 in the mail with fine nibs. I inked up the first with skrip green with disappointing results. The nib requires way too much force to write properly, much like a bad ballpoint; with a light, fp appropriate, touch it barely flows at all. Take a look:

http://preview.ibb.co/jwpu5Q/DSC_0569.jpg

This is on cheap 60gsm paper.

Interestingly, there is ink covering the whole top part of the nib that is in the section. Look:

http://preview.ibb.co/mXvdX5/DSC_0570.jpg

Any advice? Since this pen is so cheap I am willing to try fiddling with it, but I do not know where to start.

Edited by sapient

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• bob_hayden

• sapient

• WarrenB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have ink all over the inside of the section on my clear Yiren 358 and that does not seem to be causing a problem.

As for the ink on paper, it looks like you might need to spread the tines slightly.

I have ink all over the inside of the section on my clear Yiren 358 and that does not seem to be causing a problem.

As for the ink on paper, it looks like you might need to spread the tines slightly.

+1

New Chinese pens are infamous for needing to have the tines spread apart. My Kaigelu 356 was impossibly dry until I did the "thumbnail trick" to spread the tines a little. Works fine now.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

And the best way to do this would be...?? Bear in mind I have no special tools or brass shimmies or anything of the kind...

+1

New Chinese pens are infamous for needing to have the tines spread apart. My Kaigelu 356 was impossibly dry until I did the "thumbnail trick" to spread the tines a little. Works fine now.

thumbnail trick? You mean push it against my thumbnail? I never understood why I have to push it against my nail and get ink all over my hands and not just push it against a piece of paper? Anyway, I tried it, and it seem to be working a bit, but it was mostly temporary.

Edited by sapient

And the best way to do this would be...?? Bear in mind I have no special tools or brass shimmies or anything of the kind...

thumbnail trick? You mean push it against my thumbnail? I never understood why I have to push it against my nail and get ink all over my hands and not just push it against a piece of paper? Anyway, I tried it, and it seem to be working a bit, but it was mostly temporary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig5cTFv4lXo

I just got my 2 in the mail with fine nibs. I inked up the first with skrip green with disappointing results. The nib requires way too much force to write properly, much like a bad ballpoint; with a light, fp appropriate, touch it barely flows at all. Take a look:

http://preview.ibb.co/jwpu5Q/DSC_0569.jpg

This is on cheap 60gsm paper.

Interestingly, there is ink covering the whole top part of the nib that is in the section. Look:

http://preview.ibb.co/mXvdX5/DSC_0570.jpg

Any advice? Since this pen is so cheap I am willing to try fiddling with it, but I do not know where to start.

If you want to produce writing like your Extra Force line with a Chinese or Japanese pen, then you need a Medium nib instead of a Fine one. Fine nibs usually tend to write dryer.

Hello again to all my FP-friends,

Allow me to introduce to you the Jinhao 992’s oddly named and somewhat homely younger sister—the 991. This pen comes in both an EF (0.38) hooded nib and F open nib version. Since the nib, feed, housing, and converter on the F nib version are identical to that of the 992, it goes without saying that the 991 writes just as well and has the same smooth nib and flawless flow. All I had to do was put ink in the converter (I don’t like sticking my pens in bottles), put the converter back in the pen, and within just a few seconds the pen was writing a juicy medium-side-of-fine line. I can’t speak for the EF version because the black hooded nib was just too ugly to look at.

Concluding Remarks

Although the 991 lacks much of the appeal of the 992, it also lacks its problems. I’m not fond of the shape and general appearance of this pen, but it’s a pleasure to write with and extremely comfortable to hold (unposted, in my case). This pen was designed to write and write and write effortlessly, although some may be uncomfortable with the slender body and light weight. Nib options are limited to EF and F, but you can easily remove the nib on the open nib model and put in another. TWSBI ECO nibs fit well and perhaps a standard #5 would work as well. I’ll have to get back to you on that once my JoWo #5 architect grind arrives. :puddle:

I recommend the Jinhao 991 over the Platinum Preppy for the following reasons:

(1) its nib is just as smooth as an 05 Preppy; (2) its material is sturdier; (3) it comes with its own converter that holds a lot of ink; (4) it comes in several colors with no painted on branding to remove; (5) it’s about half the price of a Preppy, depending on where you live.

This pen is a perfect choice for your “fountain penvangelism” efforts and is just nice to have around for trying funky inks you may be afraid to put in nicer pens. This pen is so affordable that, if you can tolerate its underwhelming physique, it’s worth at least owning a couple.

Thank you for your review. :) I should look at some of these pens as several of my penpals use them when they write to me. :)

I've seen it. Despite needing almost 8 minutes to explain something that can be described in less than 10 words, he does not explain why he uses his thumbnail or cap and not just his notepad. Anyway, after trying this multiple times, my 991 has become a tiny bit wetter, but it still requires some force to write properly. And it feels like I am dragging it against the paper - it is not scratchy, but it isn't smooth either - there is too much friction as I write. Overall it is very tiring to write with, I can't write more than 2-3 lines before my hand cramps. As much as I like its looks, I don't think I will be using it.

If you want to produce writing like your Extra Force line with a Chinese or Japanese pen, then you need a Medium nib instead of a Fine one. Fine nibs usually tend to write dryer.

Bear in mind that the sample I posted was enlarged, these are 5mm squares. And yes, I might have overdone it a bit in my frustration. But I have a Hero and another Jinhao with (extra?) fine hooded nibs that write a lot better (wetter and smoother) without any adjustment.

Edited by sapient

sapient, I think your pen is out of adjustment or defective, but it is hard to diagnose without seeing it. Jinhao quality control is not all that great so often a good solution is to buy several and keep the ones that work.

Re the thumbnail trick I too do not see the point in using a thumbnail. It looks pretty messy in the video. What I normally do is just press the nib against the paper harder than when I write with it. Go slowly as in my experience it is much easier to open the tines than to close them;-) In the video he sometimes seems to turn the nib upside down before pressing on it but in my experience what works is to press with the nib in normal writing position.

The reason I suspect the tines is that when you bear down you appear to get plenty of ink on the page. If the problem was ink not getting to the nib, bearing down would probably make things worse as there would not be enough ink available to fill the gap in the tines.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have to wait a couple more weeks to get my #5 before I can let you know for certain.

However, the nib on this pen is identical to those of the 599A and 992 and I've read of several cases where a #5 nib has fit the 599A, so it should theoretically work. :huh:

Did you have any luck by any chance with your #5 nib?

Did you have any luck by any chance with your #5 nib?

Oops, I had mentioned that in the 992 review and forgot to post my results here as well. :doh:

Unfortunately, the JoWo #5 does not fit. The reason has something to do with the shape of the indentation made inside the sleeve in which the nib and feed sit. There's a indentation in the sleeve designed to hold the nib in place, but with the #5 nib it actually pushes the nib out so far that it can easily fall out of the pen. No matter how many times I push the nib all the way into the indentation, it pops right back out immediately.

So far the only nibs I can get to fit in this pen (and thus the 992 as well) are the Nib Creaper flex nib and a TWSBI ECO nib. In a few weeks I should have a Fountain Pen Revolution #5.5 nib which I'll try out and see if it fits.

Oops, I had mentioned that in the 992 review and forgot to post my results here as well. :doh:

Unfortunately, the JoWo #5 does not fit. The reason has something to do with the shape of the indentation made inside the sleeve in which the nib and feed sit. There's a indentation in the sleeve designed to hold the nib in place, but with the #5 nib it actually pushes the nib out so far that it can easily fall out of the pen. No matter how many times I push the nib all the way into the indentation, it pops right back out immediately.

So far the only nibs I can get to fit in this pen (and thus the 992 as well) are the Nib Creaper flex nib and a TWSBI ECO nib. In a few weeks I should have a Fountain Pen Revolution #5.5 nib which I'll try out and see if it fits.

Oh sorry to hear that. TWSBI Eco is a thin #5 nib right? So it doesn't sound like a standard nib.

The hunt continues for a pen in this price range that fits a #5.

Actually, have you had any luck putting that Jowo #5 into the 992? It seems there are mixed reports about whether the 992 is actually #5 compatible or not.

I just received my Jinhao 991 and 992 and clean it up.

I buy this two pen is hoping it can fit my 3 FPR #5.5 nib ( ef, flex, 1.0 stub ) which cannot fit in the Jinhao 886 and 699.

And I am very happy to find out that the FPR #5.5 nib can fit into the nib housing without any problem.

The FPR nib is better then the jinhao one and have more choice.

post-129815-0-99980000-1502565774_thumb.png

I received a green M nib Jinhao 991 in the July iPenstore Subscription box.

I'm thus far underwhelmed with it; I'm using it with a Diamine Teal cartridge. When it's empty, I'm going to thoroughly clean the pen and try again.

It's tending towards dry and wants to skip. I tend to have a light hand, so it may be more about the ink than the nib.

And I am very happy to find out that the FPR #5.5 nib can fit into the nib housing without any problem.

The FPR nib is better then the jinhao one and have more choice.

attachicon.gifJinhao-991-fpr-nib.png

This is great news! I have a couple FPR nibs coming that I look forward to trying in the 991 and 992, although I bet the feed on these pens can't keep up with an FPR flex nib.

I received a green M nib Jinhao 991 in the July iPenstore Subscription box.

I'm thus far underwhelmed with it; I'm using it with a Diamine Teal cartridge. When it's empty, I'm going to thoroughly clean the pen and try again.

It's tending towards dry and wants to skip. I tend to have a light hand, so it may be more about the ink than the nib.

Sorry to hear yours is so dry, it's probably a quality control issue. Both my 991 and 992 were juicy delights right out of the box. Strangely enough I can't say the same for my Lingmo Lorelei that arrived this week and cost four times as much. I guess outside of the Jinhao X450, X750 and similar big pens that use their larger M nib, you can't predict how well a Chinese pen will write.

After I inked mine I put them aside in favor of more interesting pens that arrived soon after. When I finally began using them again, they started immediately -- after sitting for about four weeks. The blue one has flow problems on some papers (with Diamine China Blue) while the green (Omas Green) does not. I have experienced this with a variety of Jinhao nibs so anyone experiencing difficulty might try different papers. In addition, I have had what I think is the same nib assembly in the 599 have flow issues on any paper -- a couple pens out of a dozen or so. If you want to experiment with Jinhaos it is best to order more than one;-)

Today I received a cream colored 991 -- one of the more obscure color options. Like my previous 991s it writes just fine. So far these look like a really great option for a really cheap pen. Again, Jinhao QC is iffy so order more than one;-)

Today I received a cream colored 991 -- one of the more obscure color options. Like my previous 991s it writes just fine. So far these look like a really great option for a really cheap pen. Again, Jinhao QC is iffy so order more than one;-)

Good to know that they are finally selling the opaque versions!

Oh, right, I hadn't thought about it that way. I just checked your OP and eBay US of A and you seem to show eight opaque colors while this cream color is the only one I could find on eBay. However, I now see three listings for it, up from one. I would much prefer the opaque ones and hope they show up soon. Meanwhile, thanks for your thorough review with non-disappearing photos;-)